• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Soda

Guest geek_girl

Guest geek_girl

Hey everyone, i'm trying to lose weight, i don't have much time, but i manage to get in a 3 mile walk in every other day. i think my biggest hurdle is soday, i used to drink 6 or more a day, i've gotten down to 2 by willpower, but i can't make it a day without it. does anyone know a good substitute for it?

Guest Evan_J

I don't know of a substitute for it, but I do know it makes a big difference. I was a 100% soda-junkie and finally was able to stop completely. -Now all my pants are too big lol. I drink juice whenever I can, "anything uncarbonated" if thats not avail. , and water whenever I'm willing.

I know its a heck of a move. But the results will encourage you to keep going.

Guest geek_girl

yes i'v managed to switch to water at night. instead of going through 3 or 4 cans i now have water. but i'm still addicted during the day especially during school

Hi,

do you mean with soda water with bubbles?

Normally gas make not fat. It is the sugar inside of soft drinks that make you fat. The soft drink is so sweet that you will stay thirsty after drinking. So you will drink to much. The result is a higher amount of water in the body and more fat.

Also juice made of apples or orange are full of sugar. The best thing is to drink just water. I think that water with bubbles is okay. It fill up the stomach with gas and it help to be saturated much earlier than without gas.

Please take a look to the energy amount of different drinks and compare it. You will see that orange or apple juice has nearly the same amount of energy than normal Cola.

The next thing to lose wait is to reduce the amount of salt. Salt hold water in the body. If you reduce the amount of salt in your food, you will reduce the amount of water in your body.

Greetings

Nelly

Guest Evan_J

Since you're here Nelly....

What about papaya? I actually don't drink orange or apple but do drink loads of papaya. I figure since you probably already know why not ask ya :P

Nelly is right tho geek, definately lose the salt. I got lucky in a strange way when my grandmother got taken off salt (I was in highschool) it gave me less of a like for it after not having it put in foods at home. Still, you have to look for sodium contents when you buy canned (esp) or other stuff.

Don't try to "do it all" at once. ONE thing at a time and you're more likely to stick with it.

go cold turkey with coke products or never leave u i used 2 drink lots and lots and 1 day my coach was like not allowed and i stopped

i drink cranapple and water and gatorade

later

Hi,

I Like Papaya. I want to grow my own papaya "tree" but up to now it is not working.

Papaya has the same problem like all other fruits. It has sugar in it. ;) Up to now I do not know the effect of papaya ingredients to the body. Maybe it has something that help to reduce weight like some people think about chinese tea.

Best thing is, if you are thirsty just drink water instead of juice or soft drinks.

One point for losing weight.

You can see your body as a balance. One side is input side and other side is output side. That mean if you put more into your body than you take out, your weight increase. Just eating less is not enough to reduce weight.

To loss weight with success, you need a long time plan with changing your diet and your energy output. If you do not so, you will get a yoyo effect. It is the point that Evan_J mean. If you change all at once, you can get a short success. But than you are missing something and you fall back into old diet style. But this time you get more weight than before.

One good trick is also to eat slow.

Greetings

Nelly

Guest Tayler

Are you looking for the caffeine alternative? Because I drink black tea straight or green tea with honey. This way no caffeine headaches from going cold turkey.

Guest Sergei

If you really can't give it up can't you just drink diet drinks. I assume by soda you mean stuff like coke and other fizzy drinks. I think most of them have a diet version which usually is completely sugar free. They're also good when your on a diet because they fill you up. x

Guest Cody_T

I agree with sergei that you should switch to diet sodas if you can't quit right out... but no diet Cokes (idk why, but they're especially bad for you)

also, all diet sodas come with a health risk from their sugar substitutions, and I have heard that you'll gain the same amount of weight from drinking diet sodas as you will from regular, so it's probably not a very good long term plan.

The best thing you can do for your diet is cut out all liquid calories, because they don't fill you up very much, and you don't tend to realize that the big gulp or 32 oz. gatorade you just had constituted a meal. If you really need something with flavor to drink, I would go with a Propel, because they have a lot of flavor and there are like 5 calories/8 ounces in the original ones. They even have them with caffeine if you're addicted, and even then they aren't horribly calorie filled

• 2 months later...
Guest Sarinah

i was drinking between 12 and 24 cans of Dr. Pepper a day... I went cold turkey and just started drinking water. had migraine headaches for about 2 weeks then after about 3 or 4 weeks I was fine and didnt have any caffine cravings. Now I can drink a soda when I am eating out and not have any problem drinking water the rest of the time.

Guest Elizabeth K

Answer? Lizzy always has an opinion :o

I am type II diabetic so I have been banned from sugar for a long time. I have also just gone on a super crash diet - did very well, thank you for asking. :rolleyes:

Not to get into the 'diet" part too much, but limiting my tirade to "soft drinks" - I found:

(1) avoid sugar - consider it toxic to your body (it is) and assume it is better to drink arsenic that sugar (might be). Processed sugar goes directly into your system - usually too fast for your body to process it back - ha! Also in the 'sugar' catagory are corn syrups and beet sweetners. AVOID

(2) read labels - fruit juices are also BAD as they have sugar added - plus they contain fructose sugars, which in moderation are good, but in drinks are way more than your body requires. Some fruit juices have more sugar than a can of coca cola! I have not found any fruit drinks I can substitute for soft drinks.

(3) Your thirst can be quinched with carbonization - the 'fizz' in soft drinks. There are products on the market that are just carbonated water - natural and augmented. Some are slightly flavored - but they are an aquired taste. These are the only drinks I recommend as a substitution for soft drinks. If you like that Mr. Speedy fizzy antiacid drink, you will like these drinks - but they quench your thirst instantly - don't give up on them.

(4) Diet drinks are terrible tasting for most people - the sweetners usually have a bitter aftertaste, as well. And Coke Zero? Any drink sweetened with sugar derivatives will affect most people the same as sugar, regardless of the claim of no calories. AVOID

(5) Caffine addition? If you are drinking soft drinks for the caffine affect - switch to tea or coffee - but UNSWEETENED. Be prepared for the bitter taste without sugars, and don't use artificial sweetners (possible exception is the one in the pink package). You can also get your caffine from chocolate - but use the super dark kind. Milk chocolate is full of sugar and the trans-fats that are so bad for your heart and circulatory system

(6) Drink water - It's a natural substitution for soft drinks - and bottled waters sometimes have a subtle aftertaste, depending on the sourse. Generally, known brands are better than generic. I always picture employees in the back warehouse, filling bottles with plain tap water, and laughing at charging you $1.50.

(7) Drink wine - red wine - but in moderation. Avoid sweet wines. Avoid beer - yikes... thats major... :angry:

(8) Eat lotsa watery based fresh fruit - sometimes when you think you are hungry you are really thirsty.

Thats me - and I lost 27 pounds since October (with exercise and food dieting as well). You must DELETE soft drinks, not cut back... That's very difficult.

WORKS :D

I have to admit that Sodas were a big weakness of mine for years, I have a craving for things that are sweet! :D

A few years ago a friend of mine - trying to help me lose weight - introduced me to Slenda (sucralose). It is the first sugar substitute that I can stand the taste of. It is very sweet and disolves instantly even in iced beverages.

Now I drink a lot of iced tea with my meals (water in between) and two packets make my tea sweeter than it ever was with 4spoons of sugar - that's what I used to use and when you have two or three glasses with a nice Tex-Mex dinner, with all of the chips and tortillas - you've used your calories for a week! :o

I now order a smaller meal, only one basket of chips for the table (not each) and no more than 3 tortillas and with my iced tea now having no calories I am down to about half a day's worth of calories for my big splurge. :D

Just by reducing portions and eleminating soda pops - I have been loosing about 2 pounds per week - I lost 1 1/2 pounds over Thanksgiving and didn't gain any during Christmas - What a great victory for me! :D

Next year I'm going to balance my diet better and start back on exercising (at 364 it was a bit strenuous to put my shoes on) already down to 328 and bending over is less of a chore already. B)

Now when you can kick the potatoe chip habbit, you've got it made! :lol:

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Courtney Hamilton

I quit soda about 4 years ago cold turkey, I drink water instead. It was hard but I had a little help from my body. See when I drink soda my body doesn't break it down right and I get Kidney stones after my 4th stone I stopped drinking the soda. I wish you all the luck in quiting tho it helps alot.

Guest geek_girl

i do good with not drinking it for a while, then my mom is like "hey i brought a 24 pack of pepsi home" i'm the only one that drinks pepsi in my family, i ignore it for as long as possible but then i get those late nights and instinctively grab one, i hates it.

Guest CharliTo

geek_girl....well, i'm a geek too and i have had this problem.

in fact, i just guzzled 1/2 a gallon of diet pepsi just now thinking that diet soda won't kill me

buuut now that i read that stuff above...i think i will start drinking water starting 2009. What a nice resolution for 2009.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest geek_girl

ok for 2009 i made it 28 days with no soda, however the last 2 days i've had like 12. :( mainly due to the fact that its hard to get things to drink when i go out, heck even in my own house, so i'm wondering, is it better to drink tea with caffeine or to have no caffeine and drink soda's like sprite, root beer and orange????

i'm looking at this from a weight loss stand point, i put sweetener in my tea not sugar.

Guest Kelly Ann

Hi Geekgirl...I have about 2 sodas a year...and now I've switched to lite beer and it's helped...especially as I've stopped smoking again, finally, and was terrified of the sudden weight gain I had last time. For a soda substitute even when out try Club Soda...it's carbonated and clear so 'on the rocks' in a glass it sort of looks like a sophisticated adult type beverage. I keep a bottle or two in my fridge always. It's cheap...all brands taste the same to me, but that may change as my taste buds actually start to work again, and hokey smokes Rocky...look at the label! Everything is a perfect "0". If you drink a lot of fluids a 2 liter bottle can be has for under a dollar...a six pack is of course more...12/24 packs I've never seen but they might be out there in the bulk stores. Try it...it's pretty good and just like with water if you squeeze a lemon or lime slice and drop it in it's a little flavor and maybe 1 calorie ;) Bon Appetite!

• 2 months later...
Guest Cericonversion

Some good advice here - thanks again everyone.

This is hard for me because of medical problems. I have lupus, and I'm just constantly exhausted all the time without a lot of caffeine; my body just can't make enough energy supply on its own. But I've been lazy and sort of meaning to change about the way I get caffeine. My doctor's been wanting me to go to more tea for a while now anyway.

Time to give it a serious try!

• 2 months later...
Guest Mika N.

I have to agree with Kelly on using Club Soda as a substitute. It has no sugars and no calories at all. Watch out with the amount of salt you consume because Club Soda does have sodium in it. It takes a little bit of time to get use to it. I kind of acquired a taste for it having spent some time living in Germany. They drink that more often than plain tap water over there. I would say that Club Soda helped ween me off of beer, sodas, and other high sugar drinks. It has help a bunch with my weight loss. I buy em by the six pack. lol. Try some out in a cold can or on the rocks. You might like it. Green tea is also supposed to be good for you. I tend to avoid all caffeine so I don't drink tea that much.

See Ya!

• 2 months later...
Guest Joanna Phipps
thanks for your help everyone, i tried diet soda but almost threw up lol that stuff be nasty. so i guess some natrual juice is the way to go

if you can get it the wal-mart house brand diet cola is sugar free, caffine free and only has like 5mg of sodium per can. Whats more to me it tastes like std coke