Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Addi

Another trans-woman was murdered last night in DC

Guest Shari

Hi everybody,

Last night a woman was stabbed at a bus stop in DC. She is unidentified and carried no identification.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-buzz/post/dc-transcoalition-speaks-after-transgender-stabbing-victim-dies/2012/02/03/gIQAnMjanQ_blog.html

The local media reporting of this crime reflected extreme insensitivity by, in some cases headling it as "Man Dressed as a Woman Stabbed at Bus Stop". The authorities did not know the victim was transgendered until she arrived in the emergency room at a local hospital. Sadly, she died from her wounds.

My heart goes out to her and her loved ones, whom ever they may be. It saddens me that the local media in our nations capital are callous when it comes to TG issues. I think they share some responsibility for the murders that have occurred there in the last 12 months.

Sad.

Shari

Guest Jenny C

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hairpull::banghead::blowup:

Guest Juniper Blue

Heartbreaking ... absolutely heartbreaking. Sigh ... I agree with your observation regarding the media as well. :hairpull:

Guest Gregg Jameson

Hi Shari,

Thanks for bringing this tragic story to our attention.

It's difficult for me to fathom; thus, it's important for me to pay attention.

My heart goes out.

Brad

Guest Cynthia Of Creation

I think the sad part is its a murder and it is low profile in comparison to who wore it best on the red carpet.

Guest chngnwnd

A spokesperson from the DC Trans Coalition(the activist group I work with) has been interviewed by the local news - he issued a statement regarding the language. So far it appears that the police response has been completely appropriate for a crime of this nature.

Bobbi

Guest SaleneAlexis

Very sad indeed -closes eyes in a moment of silence-

Stephanie

Guest Christian_the_FTM

wow.... this makes me more afraid to come out.

Guest chngnwnd

The suspected killer has been arrested. No one knows if it was a hte crime yet.

Bobbi

Guest Kitty_Babe

Its very sad to read about these stories, but I don't think its really about the fact about what they "are", or how they should be treated, but murder on any level against any person, is completely monstrous, and primitive, and diabolic. I really hope this man is put on trial and sentenced accordingly for his crime.

Guest Amber90

My deepst sympathese go out to both the woman and her loved ones. Whether this was the result of a hate crime or not, no one deserves to have their life taken from them by the hands of another.

It is always heartbreaking to hear of the killing of a trans man or woman, as it acts as a reminder to us all of the hatred and discriminaion than still exists within the 21st century.

Let us hope that this individaul receieves the justice that they so rightly deserve, and let us hope that as the tides of time move forth, the barricades of fear and discrimination which our community faces erodes from existance.

Society will grow more tolerant of us as the future unfolds, but for now, we must remind ourselves that bigotry and hatred still exists, and that both trans and non-trans people must fight to purge the world of such truths.

Amber

xx

Guest LauraJen

I think the sad part is its a murder and it is low profile in comparison to who wore it best on the red carpet.

This - I really do wonder if the media will ever get its priorities right.

KathrynJulia

May she rest peacefully, her torment is over. Myself, I've been shooting competively all my life. My son says I pity the fool that breaks in dad's home. I pity the biggot for they are everywhere. We need to educate, educate and educate some more. Society won't tolerate hate crimes against our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters. Gowing up in the 60, there were many murders of gay men and lesbian woman. Today there is much better tolerance towards gay people. We are the gay and lesbians receiving the hate of our society these days. Until society learns to leave us in peace, I will fight meaness with meaness. Haters will find me a worthy opponent. If they want to meet me with charity and understanding, I would like to meet them half way and try and build understanding and tolerance. Trans people are good people, decent people. We're not mentally ill. People who attack us violently are the people who are sick. We have to be prepared to meet head on violent people and not let them make us a victim. I take my best friends Smith & Wesson with me. They are reliable friends to take along. Walk softly, speak softly, try and retreat when and where possible. When cornered and violence is inevitable, impress them with your markmenship.

Kathryn