• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I sent the letter...

Guest Yossarian

Guest Yossarian

I finally gathered the courage to send my father my coming out e mail. I must admit, I'm scared a hell. I'm in full panic mode inside. I'm like mind f-ed right now.

I think I'm going to be sick.

WOW!!!

Big step...

Congratulations on letting the truth fly!

Hang on, it will get more tense before getting better, BUT it will get better now...

Breathe deep, lol..

Svenna

Guest Krisina

There are some things we have control over in life. How others will react we don't have control over that. Sometimes preparing for the worst but hoping for the best is a way to look at it. Remember, you are good person, you deserve love a respect. You may be different than others but we are all different. If others react negatively it is they who have a problem with diversity. Hold your head up high.

I'm curious to know how things go after your dad reads the coming out letter.

Krisina

Guest Gregg Jameson

Hi Yossarian,

This is a difficult step to take. We all tend to fear rejection and understandably so.

You are trying to communicate with your dad, trying to have an honest relationship with him. I hope he can see this and honor your desire to want to interact honestly with him. Chrisina has offered some interesting insight posted above.

We often wonder how parents/family/loved ones will react. We care. At the same time, I think we can hold all adults as capable of handling whatever comes up within their lives. Sometimes we all take turns posing challenges to one anothers' understandings and to one anothers' growth! Hopefully, your dad will choose a supportive, interested response. His reponse is a reflection of himself.

Nonetheless, this is a very important relationship for you and it is important to you he lend understanding and support to you.

Move forward expecting nothing less than the love and support you deserve.

It is important to keep our expectations high and not settle for less. We may, at times, need to deal with receiving less from some people, sometimes; yet, setting our expectations high demonstrates our own belief in our self-worth. In doing so, we are asking them to "step up" and to meet us wherever we are. Woudn't we do the same for them?

Please let us know how you are doing?

Brad

Hey there,

Have everything crossed for you! Hope it goes well!

Waiting for replies to a coming out letter is not the most peaceful thing in the world but I hope what you hear back will bring you relief!

We're here!! :)

All the best,

Talon.

Guest Yossarian

I'll be sure to fill everyone in. Thanks for the words of reassurance. I really appreciate them. I still feel sick incredibly, but already there has been a weight lifted off. I'm sure he hasn't gotten the E-mail yet. He most likely won't take the time to check his inbox until he goes to work tonight. So... I'll be awaiting a response tomorrow or so.

I feel like such a coward, I just want to pull a Simba and run... but eh, Simba did return and face his problems.

If only real life turned out like Disney films.

He he pull a Simba :) That's added to my list of cool sayings! But hey, evil uncles are there to be dealt with and in the end, Scar was a wuss :) Hope everything turns out fine! Still have everything crossed.

Talon.

Guest Lonewolf13

Well done and good luck, mate! I hope this is a turning point for you and everything goes well. It is a really scary time, waiting for somebody to reply.

Let us know how it goes.

Guest Yossarian

So I ended up having to send him a text asking him to check his inbox... This wasn't suppose to be this hard.

He sent me a very posistive response, he was more upset that I felt like I had to e mail him, but I wanted to avoid it coming out in a jumbled mass of blah. We're going to talk tomorrow. So we'll see how it goes.

YAYYYYYY!!!!

This is PROGRESS!!!!

Good luck with your follow through talks!

Things can get tense during these conversations, remember to breathe and stay focused. The tension will eventually pass and calm will follow the storm..

You'll do great!

Love, Svenna

Guest Yossarian

So we had a little talk that went along the lines of "The only thing I've ever wanted is for you to be happy. I don't want you to live a miserable life." We spoke vaguely about my name and what my mother considered a viable choice.

I'm so stoked. He really wasn't happy about the email :( , I do feel a bit guilty about that, but what's a lad to do? We've agreed to never go that route about anything again.

:D Yossarian is happier.