Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Amberley_Vail

First experience

11 posts in this topic

Apologies if you feel this is in the wrong place; this is one of the only forums I can access via my mobile, and I think it fits.

So one of the benefits of being a Scot, is that I can get away with wearing a skirt in public. We call it a kilt! So tonight I was out at a rock club wearing a kilt and shirt. I gave my camera to a friend when a song I liked came on, so I could go dance.

About 2 minutes into the song, I feel a twitch at my kilt, and some random I've never met before is lifting my kilt with a big grin on his face. Apparently he thought it would be hilarious to lift my kilt for a photo and a laugh.

I've no idea why, but it freaked me right out. I had to go immediately change into jeans and a shirt, and spent the rest of the night crying in the lounge. Why did this hit me so hard?

The only good thing to maybe come of it is that I might now have been outed to my sergeant (not a real sergeant, just within our charity organization)

My head is just spinning now. Where the hell do I go from here?

Because no woman would be treated like that. You were being mocked and it hurt.

Lizzie

I echo Lizzie's comment. As a woman it's very humiliating to have a guy lift your skirt. It's absolutely juvenile!

Laura Jane

I'm with the others on this...

It was demeaning and inappropriate. I'd be upset also...

So sorry, but being female is a tricky business sometimes. Guys do some really jerky stuff sometimes..

Love, love! Svenna

I know being a female will be hard, but if I'd been a girl there would be no way he'd have done that.

The thing is, I've had people try the whole "are you a true scot" kilt lifting thing. It never bothered me before. The only thing that's changed is my mindset. Seemingly for the worse.

That is why you wear a boot knife. I am far too angry on your behalf to respond with anything of real substance.

Unfortunately Scotland has a big problem with knife crime as it is. If you're caught with a blade and no reason to have one, its an automatic mandatory 6 month jail term. I would not do well in prison....

Unfortunately Scotland has a big problem with knife crime as it is. If you're caught with a blade and no reason to have one, its an automatic mandatory 6 month jail term. I would not do well in prison....

Nor would I...

I tend to observe legalities much more now that I am obviously in transition...

No place for a trans-woman, no place at all...

Love and Safety, Svenna

My ex wife and my kids have gotten the Scottish cultural loyalty very heavily from her parents and I have been going to Scottish Games and Festivals for years with them, and even have my own non-tartan kilt too. (Actually my heritage is Irish. No wonder our marriage didn't last!) The kilt is more comfortable than shorts are for some of my activities during spring and summer months in the great American Desert. I get the <self censored> comments from time to time about whats NOT under it, and it can be annoying after the 10th time in an hour. Its never at the actual Scottish festivals though that this happens. The kilt is clothing, not a running joke line.

I would be hurt and ready to cut loose on somone with the low humor of the imbecile that was picking up your hem for fun. I would give odds that alcohol had something to do with it, but that is not an excuse or a virtue. Where's a bouncer when you need one? The gag line is a "man thing", and you don't fit that description. it was humiliating, and meant to be especially since the jerk didn't know you. A dirk is rightly off limits since your feeling of violation is so great, but not worth the jail time. On the street, I would be calling the police for assault charges on the goof.

That's horrible! If that was me, and Scotland didn't have so many people carrying knives, I would've punched him in the face! Obviously vilence isn't a solution ( so I'm told ) but in that case I would consider it appropriate. Still, this is what I would do, but under the circumstances, not recomended. Still, that was a terrible thing to do.

I feel your pain my friend, I’m from Scotland myself so I know very well that if a man wears a kilt, particularly to a club in town, he will at one point fall victim to the “true scot” questioning.

Of course if it were a woman it would absolutely never be allowed happen. It is completely unfair and you had every right to be as upset as you were.

I’m sorry to have sound so pessimistic but there’s really no solution, as long as you appear to be a man in a kilt in a Scottish club there is a very strong chance someone will lift it up. Kilts are great to wear but I’d save wearing them solely for when you are just with friends and/or family who are aware that it’s not funny to lift your kilt. Stay strong!