• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Another Offensive Ad Hits the Airwaves

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

It's been what, 2-3 weeks since the last offensive television ad was broadcast. Let it not be said that I kept you waiting too long. Here is another, broadcast in the U.K. by a bookmaker, of all things.

Spot the mares from the stallions? I know I've said that we should have a sense of humor, but really, this is a bit much.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/20/paddy-power-transgendered-ladies-ad

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Here's a follow-on article in the British press. The sponsor is completely unapologetic and refuses (so far) to pull the ad, saying he won't bow to "political correctness." He also claims the ad campaign was advised by members of the LGBT Community. I wonder how many of the T were on that committee?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103786/Paddy-Power-criticised-ad-campaign-asking-punters-spot-transgendered-ladies.html

Carolyn Marie

Guest Karen K

This is shameful behaviour and he's going for the cheap laugh. Maybe a few of us ought to get a bit militant and let this guy know just what we think about this!

Laura Jane

• Forum Moderator

My first thought was that like so many ignorant people, the people who actually made this ad and those who aired it believe erroneously that drag queens are transgendered. And members of the LGBT community.

We face that stereotype and misconception so many times as it is! That or they didn't provide a script of the voiceover and final review to any real trans people used in the ad. The restroom image alone suggests it is the former rather than the latter. I don't know of any transwoman who would use the men's room attired like that. Or be insensitive enough to be filmed coming out of it.

All in good fun?? Yeah sure. Great fun and understanding with that mares and stallions approach. Like being slapped in the face is fun.

Johnny

Guest Sarahwr

Pathetic Paddy Power.

This is just another cynical stunt by this betting company and this time it should be considered inciteful.

It is bad enough that our government allow business like this to advertise there services to take money from many of those who can't afford it.

I would also doubt whether the government is commited to wiping out all forms of prejudice.

As a country we seems to have moved from one of "acceptable tolerance" to "anything goes".

When you see advertisements for money lenders charging excruciating interest rates aimed at those again who are vunerable i.e. the poor and the old it just seems we have lost all morals.

It might be of course that this advert sums up the whole betting industry and might work against it bringing other betting companies into disrepute.

On the other hand does the LGBT do enough to promote it's positive side by way of what they do for the community; or are we just wanting to keep our heads down and get on with our lives unmolested?

Sarah