Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ValerieM

My first support group weekend - what to expect?

Guest ValerieM

Hi girls

I recently began to more fully accept that I am a crossdresser. I told my S/O, bought my own clothes, wigs, under garments, etc... And contacted a support group to join so I can leave my house and enjoy life as a woman with other like-minded woman. I am so excited, but not sure what to expect. Can anyone please share their first experience of being part of a support group do that my expectations are real and not just fantasy?

~Nova~

Groups meetings are wonderful. You are amongst others that feel the same way and you can finally relax and allow yourself to be free. No one will judge you. No one will make fun of you. You will be accepted with open arms.

Group meetings are confidential and a safe haven.

Go, let your hair down and relax. Sometimes it's easier if you latch on to someone.a member that looks comfortable will usually take you under their wing and help you adjust. When I was going to group I always made myself approachable and tried to be friendly.

Best of luck and please let us know how it went.

VickySGV

Its great to be in a group, but there are a wide range of how they act and get together. Some are literally a "man in a dress" convention where the dress is a uniform, and not all that much a definition of femininity, the conversation will be typical man stuff, and a few may even have beards. Others will have feminine "how to's" as the meeting theme where you can find yourself feeling like a Barbie Doll with all the helpfulness. Most will be somewhere in the middle, with a relaxed, no judgment atmosphere with some people who are "weekenders" and others who may approach the actual TS end of things. At those meetings you can get into discussions on what makes you tick or tock, and some of the problems and feelings that go with the territory. A few will have special meetings for your SO's as well as you, and those can be helpful. Major goal is to find where YOU are on the TG map. Have fun.

Guest Elizabeth K

Go, relax and have fun. I cannot tell you what to expect except there will usually be an instant understanding and you will not have to explain yourself. As this is a first time, they will likely sort of adopt you.

BUT

Don't judge them either. I was appalled at some of the people I met that I just could not relate to at first - the 'men in a dress' types - the belligerent 'I am what I am and screww you' types - and the ones who are not female or even feminine. There can be thrill seekers and autogynophilic people there.

AND

There can also be very gentle. loving women who just happen to be male bodied. These sometimes just break your heart with their love of finally being their true selves, and at the same time, their hardships of being transgendered.

This support group should be fun. And if it is not - look for other support groups. Being with like-minded people is really an eyeopener.

Lizzie

Guest rikkicd64

Dear Elizabeth and Vicky,you are both right on about what happens at a support group,I attend one and it is fantastic,in fact,last Tuesday none of us girls wanted to the meeting to end.Thanks for the support that you give to all the rest of us.

Rikki.... :thumbsup:

Guest ValerieM

Groups meetings are wonderful. You are amongst others that feel the same way and you can finally relax and allow yourself to be free. No one will judge you. No one will make fun of you. You will be accepted with open arms.

Group meetings are confidential and a safe haven.

Go, let your hair down and relax. Sometimes it's easier if you latch on to someone.a member that looks comfortable will usually take you under their wing and help you adjust. When I was going to group I always made myself approachable and tried to be friendly.

Best of luck and please let us know how it went.

Autumn - these are the most comforting and exciting words I can imagine. This describes how I have envisioned it. Thanks for your kind, warm and generous words.

Guest Wendae

I'm going to my first next Saturday. Looking forward to the experience.

Guest LorieAnne

I am going to a group meeting this week. It's going to be my first. I really don't know what to expect.

I was going to take my fiancé but I think I should check it out myself first. I am actually quite excited at the prospect of making a new friend that has their boat in the same lake so to speak.

Guest ValerieM

OMG - I am at my first weekend event. Went to the mall, got a makeover, mani- pedi, and bought a new georgeous dress. Then met the whole group for dinner and had an absolute blast. LOVED IT!!! Cannot wait for tomorrow spending the entire weekend en femme. I feel like such a woman.

JenniferB

I am thrilled you are having a good time so far and understand what you are experiencing. I hope the rest of the weekend will be even better.

Jenny

Guest rita63

Went to my second group meeting last week but went from home not work so I dressed a bit. I wore a padded bra, womens sweater T, earings and combed my hair (shoulder length) femme, stockings under my jeans. Road the city bus both ways (thank heaven for winter clothes), with a friend on the way home.

I felt quite leberated and will do it again.

hugs rita

Guest rikkicd64

Good evening ladys,my march meeting is going to be a spring social at a local glbt friendly restuarant,I'm so looking forward to it,I went out and bought a new burgandy skirt and matching blouse for the occasion,I will let everyone know how it turns out.

All the rest of you girls please keep us all posted on how your meetings go,I love you all,you've all been such a great blessing to me,thanks.

Rikki...

Guest ValerieM

Absolutely the best weekend. I could have have enjoyed it more. Great women great people great conversations great fun being en femme for an entire weekend. Thank you all for your encouragement to go and words of wisdom. I loved it!!!