• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Incredible finds at Sephora

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Ladies! if you have a Sephora (or Ulta) in your town or close by, you must go! It's like femme-a-palooza in there! So much makeup, perfume, makeup brushes, etc. it's like being a kid in a candy store but you're a girl in femme land. (it's the best analogy I can come up with)

I happened to go into one that's inside a JC Penney and although it's smaller than a regular store, I still found two amazing products that I'm totally in love with.

First and foremost is NARS powder blush in 'Orgasm'. I've read about this blush in magazines countless times. They said it's flattering on every skin tone. They said it's wonderful. They said it's amazing. As far as I knew they were probably getting paid to say that. But I found the NARS section in Sephora and while talking to the sales lady I said "NARS makes good blush, don't they?" and she said that the 'Orgasm' shade is one of their best selling blushes and that it's flattering on every skin tone. Woah, deja vu? So I decided to get it. Granted the $28 price tag is a little steep considering I'm used to paying $6 for blush but if it's worth it, I'll be a customer for life. I tried it tonight while putting makeup on and after seeing my cheeks in the mirror I promptly packed away all my other blushes, never to be seen again. Yep, this is the amazing blush I've been looking for all these years. Great color so you don't need as much to get the same effect. The color stays. It's flattering. I'm conviced.

The second item I bought is an oil-controlling makeup primer made by Urban Decay. It's a spray and you spritz your face before putting your makeup on, and then spritz again after your makeup is on. What it does is reduce/control/manage excess oil on your face so your makeup face doesn't look shiny after a few hours. It also sets your makeup. I tried this last night, too, and let me tell ya, 10 hours later my makeup looked as fresh and matte as when I first put it on that night. This stuff is amazing. Every time I had to use the bathroom I'd look in the mirror as I'm washing my hands and my makeup still looked amazing and with very very little shine. I think I touched up my nose once but the rest of my face didn't need it at all. Usually through a typical day I'll have to repowder my face at least 3 times so this stuff worked great in keeping me non-oily all night.

Guest Donna Jean

The second item I bought is an oil-controlling makeup primer made by Urban Decay. It's a spray and you spritz your face before putting your makeup on, and then spritz again after your makeup is on. What it does is reduce/control/manage excess oil on your face so your makeup face doesn't look shiny after a few hours. It also sets your makeup. I tried this last night, too, and let me tell ya, 10 hours later my makeup looked as fresh and matte as when I first put it on that night. This stuff is amazing. Every time I had to use the bathroom I'd look in the mirror as I'm washing my hands and my makeup still looked amazing and with very very little shine. I think I touched up my nose once but the rest of my face didn't need it at all. Usually through a typical day I'll have to repowder my face at least 3 times so this stuff worked great in keeping me non-oily all night.

Ok....we have a Sephora close by and I'm gonna have to try this product......

If it does for me what it did for you...it's worth it!

Huggs

Dee Jay

Guest Elizabeth K

Ask for their membership card - you become eligible for gifts.

Also, if you look like you might buy something, ask for different perfume samples - I love the Dior Poison - red bottle - and I did buy it.

Female heaven!

Lizzy

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Ask for their membership card - you become eligible for gifts.

Say whaaa?! The lady made no mention of a membership card. She did give me a free sample of their moisturizer though.

I wear Pink Sugar perfume every day. I love it. It's intoxicating.

I also have some of their lipsticks, which I love, but they are expensive. I don't use them everyday because of the cost and I go through a lot lipstick.

The powders are great, but the price, out of line.

Guest Oasis

What I like about sephora is that every sephora I've been in to, they staff has been very accepting and helpful to Trans clients. Probably an area and YMMV type deal but so far that has been my experience.

Since I haven't been able to locate a Sephora near me I checked on Amazon and they have the blush Lizzie mentioned in a lotta colors, including Orgasm and the non oily make up setting spray. Added both to my wishlist and I really can't thank you enough for sharing this Lizzie. I can't wait to get back into make up and stuff.

*Sighs* I've missed you.

*hugs*

~Jade

• Admin

I've been a Sephora customer from the beginning. I got my first supplies there, long before I even started LHR or HRT, and have always been treated with great respect and kindness by the staff. They really know how to treat customers, at least at mine.

Most of my cosmetics are from there, and they are consistently excellent, and yes, expensive. I use the liquid foundation, which the staff helped me pick out. The only thing I don't get there is lipstick. If you go when they aren't busy, they will happily help you try stuff on.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Elizabeth K

I am a MAC woman for cosmetics, but I love the perfumes at Sephora! They are usually very supportive in helping you select products. Perfumes are generally the same price wherever you buy them, so service and samples are a plus. Sephoras is great place to try different scents.

When the HRT kicks in its a new world. Woman chemistry make woman perfumes work! Its a new world!

Lizzy

oh oh oh - good make-up brushes

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

My hair stylist, who has been giving me advice on everything from my hair, to makeup, to clothes to well just about everything, suggested two makeup products that have been working out very well for me. The first is foundation made by Cover Girl + Olay and then on top of that goes CoverGirl Clean pressed powder. Second she recommended Lash Blast Fusion mascara in non-waterproof. All three items have been working out very well for me so I'll be sticking with those.

Now, aside from that, I got my favorite day time lipstick from MAC and the lady at the counter made a great recommendation based on my very few answers to what I was looking for: a great lipstick for every day casual wear. something close to my natural lip color. matte finish. Her suggestion: MAC lipstick in Twig. It's absolutely fantastic and every woman I've shown this to has looked at it and said "oh yeah, that's a nice color.". So my next trip to a place with a MAC counter I'm getting another lipstick or two. MAC also has great brushes. My blush brush which I use daily is MAC and my powder brush that I used to use regularly came from there too. If I delve into the world of eyeshadow, you betcha that brush will probably be a MAC brush.

The blush. Well, I'm not buying any other than NARS now. I'm completely sold on it.

I'm really picking with perfumes. I have two with me right now. Victoria's Secret Pink and "Outspoken" by Fergie that I bought through Avon.

Sephora is also really great for finding little makeup things that you didn't know you needed until you see it in store. Like make up brush cleaner, though I just use a mild soap and water. Or that travel size perfume atomizer which I just filled up yesterday since my purse size bottle of Outspoken is almost out so I'm just left with the big bottle of it. They have all kinds of fun little things that make you go "well how about that, they have a ______"

So there ya have it. Sephora: where it's good to be a girl.

(or Ulta so I've heard but I haven't been in one yet)

• 1 month later...
Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Hey all you trucking ladies and Denver area people!

I found a great Sephora inside the JC Penney in the Northgate Shopping Center. It's not as big as a regular Sephora but it's bigger than another Sephora I've been to that was inside a JC Penney. I found exactly what I needed and since I joined their rewards club I got two free perfume samples of whichever perfume I was interested in trying! And it wasn't a tiny bottle that you have ot dab on your finger and then dab on yourself, oh no! This had a little spray nozzle at the top. Love it! Plus the guy filled it right from the full size tester bottle off the shelf! The parking lot is big enough for just the truck (no trailer) and there is a movie theater close by and some restaurants close by. It's fabulous.

Just go in the back entrance (past the stop light) and you'll hit nothing low clearance and the roundabouts are easy with just a truck.

• Forum Moderator

I am a MAC woman for cosmetics, but I love the perfumes at Sephora! They are usually very supportive in helping you select products. Perfumes are generally the same price wherever you buy them, so service and samples are a plus. Sephoras is great place to try different scents.

When the HRT kicks in its a new world. Woman chemistry make woman perfumes work! Its a new world!

Lizzy

oh oh oh - good make-up brushes

I used to shop MAC as I loved their foundations. But I've switched over to Ulta not too long ago. I do have to say that the store I was in had the worst customer service I've seen in a long time. I bought Studio Gear foundation and really like it. For eyeshadows I've been using Ben Nye