Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest lilygirl2

Chicago couple looking for others like us...

11 posts in this topic

I don't know how else to start this other than by saying why I am here ;) We are new to this whole making friends with similar people thing. Our therapist suggested that we make some friends, as it will help us to get through this initial discomfort (lack of better word). My partner is a beautiful transgendered woman,with whom I have shared the last 4 years of my life. She is just begining her transition, and we think we need to try meeting people who are in a similar state (of being). I am a 30 something girl, she is in her mid 20s. We are really into live music, but do not drink or party. We really have no social life, and need to get out of the house! We live in this huge city, but are both rather shy. We are looking to meet other couples to hang out with...

I feel like this is a desperate attempt...but I dont know what else to do anymore. We can only watch so much TV...

Have a great day!

Well - this site is not a place to make arrangements to meet people in person, and we prohibit giving out that kind of personal information. But the reality is we do make great friends here. There is a wonderful magic that happens when we share stories and when we help each other with asking and answering questions

So welcome - and I do hope you meet some like minded people here, in a similar life relationship as you.

Lizzy

Welcome lily,

Laura's is a transgendered support site for those suffering from gender dysphoria. I grew up in Chicago, and I know there is a lot to do. Perhaps, as a couple you can find more local affiliations to get involved with. At Laura's, people's safety is our primary concern

Being transgendered can be dangerous. At Laura's we mitigate those dangers. This why, Laura's is moderated.

Brenda

Thank you for the welcome Elizabeth, and I do apologize for my newbie post. I also hope to build a support netowrk, and friendships as well. I do love this website. I feel it is best one. Thanks again for the welcome.

Oh yes - you are most certainly welcome here. We especially love to have that unique viewpoint that the SO (significant other) can provide. And there are a bunch of people like that - couples where one person has, or wants to, transition.

I am one of the old gray mares here - and I have an SO who is also a transitioned woman (surprised us both that that happened - grin).

I live in New Orleans so I don't know resources in your area - although my son and d-in-l live there. Chicago was also the home of my good friend Jamie Bantry - another Transitioned woman architect like me - but she just passed away about 9 months ago.

You might want to contact the local PFLAG or LGBTQ center. Many have a listing of resources and may know of other partnered transpeople.

I do wish to extend an invitation to stay here and tell us all about yourselves. We have tons of diversity here and it is a rather safe place to be!

Lizzy

Lily, Welcome to Laura's!

Have you tried finding a support group? I would expect a large city to have at least one. You may not meet another couple that way but you might get a better idea where to look.

Karen

Lizzy stole the information I was going to send you, but she is good about that. I actually know some of the people on the board that puts the Be All conference on, and they always could use some help in the form of volunteers. They have a very stong emphasis on involving both partners in the Trans programs and you would have a chance to meet partners of T's. They are a great bunch. Look them up.

We are sharing the profile, as It would not let me join (same IP addy). The idea of meeting other partners is very important to me. We are both seeing a therapist, but it gets hard at times. I am sworn to secrecy right now, or at least until she begins to tell people. I am interested in attending the Be-All, and have looked at the website. Thank you for all the warm welcomes!

We are sharing the profile, as It would not let me join (same IP addy). The idea of meeting other partners is very important to me. We are both seeing a therapist, but it gets hard at times. I am sworn to secrecy right now, or at least until she begins to tell people. I am interested in attending the Be-All, and have looked at the website. Thank you for all the warm welcomes!

Exceptions can be made. Send a pm to Petra Jane and she can set up separate accounts for you.

MaryEllen

Welcome, both of you!

Have you heard about Meetup.com? It's amazing, and I highly recommend it. People make profiles for the kind of group they are in/want to start, and other people join the group and they schedule get-togethers. There are wine tasting groups, greyhound enthusiast groups, mystery writer groups, romantic comedy watching groups--everything you can imagine.

I did a quick search for "LGBT" in the Chicago area, and it came up with 42 different groups, including "The Chicago South Suburbs LGBT Couples" group, which sounds right up your alley. There's also the Chicago Gender Society, and . . . well, a lot of others. You'll have to make a Meetup.com account and join the groups to see when they meet and so forth, but trust me. Meetup.com is great. =)