• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

My binder doesn't make my chest flat enough.

Guest Devyn

Guest findthefire

Well, for one I wouldn't try to do anything more to your chest. Binding too tightly can cause serious problems.

But as for just tips on trying to make your chest look more masculine, I would try romping around Youtube for a while. Sometimes a little thing called the "uniboob" can pester those who may be new to binding.

This can be fixed by simply pushing the "boys" away from each other(toward the armpit), while simultaneously pushing them up in order to avoid elongation once they're compressed(which does not lead to a peck-like look).

Honestly, I think, if you're able bind properly, and can create something that looks more like pecks, it doesn't matter as much if you're completely flat or not-because a lot of guys aren't.

Good luck, and whatever you do, don't hurt yourself.

• Forum Moderator

I agree completely that safety and health have to be your first concern.

But I did want to point out that in my experience IRL and with hundreds of posts here that the dreaded uniboob is not always the result of inexperience.

You pretty quickly lean where to place things for the best look in a binder and few settle for a uniboob. But people with months or even years of binding find themselves facing a uniboob shelf sometimes. The generously endowed can find that gravity can defeat any binder and periodic adjustment is necessary. Awkward and difficult sometimes.Also anyone who is active will have the problem sometimes unless blessed with a small firm chest. When you move your arms your chest muscles move and that moves your bits -too often to the center. Again you are stuck with adjustments.

Binding tighter just doesn't stop it. Physiology. But the front closing binder and athletic compression shirt under it does help more than anything else I have found except the size loss on T.

Johnny

One thing I've noticed is that there are plenty of guys who don't have flat chests. So worrying about being completely flat isn't my goal, but rather making sure my loose but not too baggy clothes lay reasonably well.

I've found that if I make sure I spread the tissue out to the sides instead of squishing myself into a uniboob, that helps a lot.

Guest Xelishiken

I know I need a new binder, but my binder doesn't make me completely flat either. It annoys me to no end, but I deal with what I have, ya know? I think I've also lost weight and need a smaller one.

• Forum Moderator

Actually I fount that often a tighter binder means a lumpier chest rather than a flatter one. I can't bear any lump on my chest but have been noticing I am actually flatter than most men my age.

Men do have chests-we just are often so dysphoric about ours that we don't see the reality of how they are in relation to us when binding..

But one thing men don't have ever is a shelf or uniboob. Ever. A too tight binder is just about a guarantee that you'll end up with one too no matter how well you initially place them in the binder with movement they are squeezed inward with a tight binder.

I find an athletic compression shirt under my binder helps minimize movement in the binder while making it more comfortable because it also regulates temperature and wicks away moisture. If I am wearing a thinner T shirt I have even worn an athletic compression shirt under my binder and one over it because they also smooth lines so well.

I unzipped my binder for comfort hiking deep in the woods one day and discovered I was actually flatter with it unzipped. And I took pics of my chest both ways. Guess what? It really was flatter unzipped! Then I thought about mass and physiology and realized that beyond a certain point you end up with the opposite effect than the one you want. You aren't flatter because there is x amount of mass to compress in Y area and no amount of pressure will decrease that mass. It can bulge it more and do major health damage that will make future binding impossible or cause deformation for life. It will at the least decrease how long you can bind but it will not decrease mass. It can't.

Please read the thread on safe binding-http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10254

I have seen too many instances in the last 2 years here where someone did permanent harm with tight binding. Think of never ever being able to bind again! It does happen. It will happen. Binding can be very, very dangerous. I understand how driven many of us are. But I also know that we have to be safe -most of you can get surgery one day but that won't matter much if your chest is already so deformed you can never look like a normal male. Or if you have to spend your surgery money treating lung lesions instead or worst case don't live to get it.

Please-be safe and wise.

Johnny

Guest Kael147

Hey Guys,

I have a couple of different binders. I love my underworks 997 binder. It does what it is supposed to and makes my chest flat, but I've got the same problem with uniboob after a while too. I find that in an evening out, I often go to the bathroom, adjust, readjust, etc. Nature of the beast I suppose.

I have another binder that is more like a t-shirt. It sucks and gives me a uniboob, but when I was 20 lbs lighter it actually did the job (my breasts weren't as full). I've recently met a bunch of guys and we've been talking about binders and some guys wear them 24/7 - it shocks me! I can barely wear mine for 8 hours, but the main thing is - safety, be healthy.

Talk soon,

Kael