• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT lowering libido

Guest Krisina

Guest Krisina

I know I have seen it mentioned that taking HRT lowers libido and for many say it is liberating too. But I wonder what that will mean for me. I also hear stuff about a good feeling and sensation for nipples (plus pain with growth) and other body areas that can become sensitive in a good way.

Lowered libido what does that mean emotionally and sexually? I won't want or have desires for sex anymore? I will become numb sexually, will that be like someone going through menopause?

What if I was to start taking HRT and after some point stopped. Would the plumbing stop working for even my personal self, sexless no romantic thoughts, desires or working plumbing?

Krisina

Guest burningbright

Hi Krisina! :) I'm not the best person to answer you questions but I thought I'd chip in on the few points I do have some experience of. The person I've been seeing has been on HRT for 6 months now. She's definitely experienced increased nipple sensitivity and says there is now a connection between nipples and groin which just wasn't there before. So that's been a big plus for us. Oh, and yes they have been sore due to inevitable growth, just as any girls nipple buds are very sensitive when they are first growing. I remember that well <shudder>. Many a time I have had to apologise to her after accidentally headbutting her chest area, hehe. (She's quite a lot taller than me :D )

I can't know what it's like for her to be without the bothersome effects of T. I don't know what T feels like and in many ways I'm really curious, also having a FTM trans friend who went the other way. It's fascinating. But from what she's said, the sexual desire is still very much present, it's just different. Less groin-centered, nagging and insistant and no longer a constant drive that wants satisfying. Instead she is sensual, emotional, and sex has become a different experience. But not worse, just different. It's like being in bed with a woman, I guess.

If you stopped HRT you wold be most likely sterile. You may have by then experienced some loss of size in terms of the testicles which I think wouldn't right itself even if you stopped taking hormones, but I'm not sure on that. Breast growth wouldn't necessarily go away. So obviously it's a serious consideration.

Okay, I'm rambling now. Obviously this isn't my field but I wanted to reassure you that you can continue to have a fulfilling sexual life alone or with another even on HRT. The focus will change somewhat emotionally is all :)

Guest KarenLyn

I've been on hormone therapy for going on 15 years and physically, your sex drive diminishes. It doesn't affect mental/emotional desire. So basically, we don't have as much sex but still enjoy it when we do.

Karen

Guest Krisina

burningbright thanks. So the experience would be more emotional and sensual and a different experience. Not worse but different. That and the other info you gave me was helpful. HRT and what won't change if I stopped it too. Note to myself, no head butts to the chest on hrt.

From a relationship experience I won't be missing anything. I am in a relationship where me doing anything male is a no go for me. I am not interested. My partner isn't interested in any intimacy touching a girl, breasts either.

I love my partner and can't see myself with anyone else, this is very hard for me and for her.

One big pause, put on hold, back burner, time to ponder, to think.

Krisina

Guest Krisina

I've been on hormone therapy for going on 15 years and physically, your sex drive diminishes. It doesn't affect mental/emotional desire. So basically, we don't have as much sex but still enjoy it when we do.

Karen

So sex drive goes down. I usually think of sex drive and men, and men initiating things. It is good to see that mental emotional and desire remain. Too bad there is such a disconnect between the hardware, wiring and the brain.

Krisina