• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Those "Other" Noises We Make

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I was in a theater a few days ago, and during the performance I had a bout of phlegm. After clearing my throat 4-5 times, it occurred to me that I probably didn't sound very "girly" to those around me.

On other occasions my wife has advised me that my sneeze could wake the dead, and also didn't sound very feminine.

So, um, does anyone have some suggestions on how to improve the femininity of these less pleasant sounds that we all must make from time to time? Not to mention the difficulty of practicing sneezing. :lol:

Cracked pepper, anyone??

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Hi Carolyn:

I purchased the Advance CD Rom from Kathy Perez, a world reknown voice Language Pathologist who specializes in working with TG and TS Ladies to achieve a more feminine voice and as luck would have it she addresses coughing, sneezing, and giggling or laughter as being a major sticking point in transitioning. You can express yourself and develop a beautiful voice and a sneeze can have the whole room looking at you if you sneeze like a guy. She had actual TG and TS woman on the CD and taught them technics to practice so that when the time comes, you can get by without giving yourself away to the whole world. It involves practicing ahead of time so that it is a little bit if a learned response rather than a just let loose and let er fly. She says listen to other woman and then practice sounding like they do and develop sounds that sound like they do. Like developing a feminie voice through practice, we ned to practice a feminine sneeze, giggle and coughing so that when the time comes, no honking like a goose.

Kathryn

Interesting topic Carolyn :)

I suffer from terrible allergies (Especially during spring and fall) and so sneezing, coughing, and clearing my throat are all things I've become very aware of with how I sound.

For a sneeze... maybe listen to how other women sneeze for an idea? For me, my male and female vocal ranges are in totally different areas of my vocal chords so it may be difficult to understand depending on where your female voice comes from, but essentially as soon as I feel a sneeze coming on I prepare myself by getting ready to make any accompanying noise from the place on my vocal chords that my most feminine speaking voice would come from. I also try to reduce the noise in general... I've noticed my male sneeze when I am in male mode is as your wife described Carolyn, it could wake the dead. It's very loud and usually very open mouth. When I sneeze a "feminine sneeze" my mouth is mostly shut.... I'm not sure if this will help or confuse but I hope this helps.

It's basically the same principle for clearing my throat, coughing or anything else. Clearing my throat was very difficult because most of the phlegm gathers in my male vocal area so for me it was mostly practice. I had to practice quit a bit to figure out how to clear my throat while still sounding female. It wasn't easy, but it was well worth it and mostly successful. I don't think I would do this in public or on the phone unless I absolutely had to because it can be iffy and difficult.

With coughing it depends on the cough. If it's a light "That drink of water went down the wrong pipe" kind of cough then I just cough from the area where my female voice comes from. If it's a cough from deep in my chest from a cold or illness, even women have a pretty terrible chest cold cough that pretty much sounds universal between males and females so I try not to judge this one when I'm sick.

Hope this helps, and like I said Practice, practice, practice. Experiment with every sneeze you can until you get it right and then keep doing it.

*hugs*

~Jade.

• Forum Moderator

The way I was raised no lady made noises-Of course all people do but in principle you aren't supposed to so you do your best to stifle it. Or act and sound like you are. Keep your mouth clenched as much as possible and cover everything possible in any situation where a noise may result.

I swear that was the philosophy. That and smiling like you are embarrassed to be caught in such a faux pax. That helps too. Anyone over 80 is excused to make any sound they please. Often no one would sit near anyone over 80 either because it was like all that stuff they had held in for decades was being given free rein at last and making up for all that repression. (As a side note the same rules applied to speaking your mind or swearing. I so used to look forward to being 80) Now I no longer have to worry. Ah-I do so love being a guy :)

Love

Johnny

• Admin

Anyone over 80 is excused to make any sound they please. Often no one would sit near anyone over 80 either because it was like all that stuff they had held in for decades was being given free rein at last and making up for all that repression.

So true, JJ. George Carlin had a hilarious routine about all the stuff he could get away with once he became a "geezer." It had me rolling on the floor the last time I heard it. We older folks are allowed to ROFL. :lol:

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Jesse0319

I agree with Johnny, which (sorry, Johnny) surprises me, since I'm only 18. It's not that I was verbally taught that, just that all of the girls stifled noises since they were little and it was one of those society things you were expected to pick up on.

I know that a lot of my female classmates have these moments when they look like they're about to have a magnificently huge sneeze - and then at the last minute, it comes out as a little squeak. I guess the other guys find it funny and/or cute, but to me it always sounds like the sneeze got strangled. The outcome never looked or sounded like it "fit" with the buildup.

Eh, I'll end my ramble.

-Jesse

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

If someone had told me that once I became a girl I could no longer do the "pull my finger" thing, I.....probably would have transitioned anyway. Sure I may look like a lady, act like a lady, but when I'm alone and those gassy sounds start making their way out, there's nothing lady-like about me.

Don't give me that look, those qualify as other noises too!

I can see you reaching for the can of Febreeze, too....

Guest Ney'ite

So, um, does anyone have some suggestions on how to improve the femininity of these less pleasant sounds that we all must make from time to time? Not to mention the difficulty of practicing sneezing. :lol:

Actually, yes, I read something somewhere that may help.

Here is a copy/paste of what I am talking about (trans-related reference: http://www.transgendervoice.net/exercises.html)

Laugh and cough

1. Laugh with a "hee hee," noticing that your lips are in a slight smiling position. Try to keep your mouth in the same position when you laugh with a "ha ha."
  2. Cough with your lips in smiling position. Notice how much smaller/higher it sounds compared to when your mouth is more open.

Guest KarenLyn

I can't comment on all the "other" sounds we produce but how we deal with sneezing seems to be a learned response. One of the nurses I work with was raised never to stifle her sneezes and my daughter's birth mother had a sneeze that frightened animals and small children. My own sneezes are positively dainty by comparison. I wouldn't worry to much about sneezing.

On the other hand, I try to excuse myself from the room if I feel something else coming on.

Karen