Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest praisedbeherhooves

Speaking in a more monotone manner

3 posts in this topic

I've been struggling with my voice for years, quite literally. I haven't gotten it down. Of course, I tend to practice for a while then get discouraged and give up. This is strange because I actually don;t have a particularly feminine pitch. Iv'e been told my actual pitch is fairly androgynous, but my manner of speaking is extremely feminine. It is feminine not really in subjects or words, but in the way my pitch fluctuates a great deal. Every time I try speaking in a monotone manner, my voice starts soudning really unnatural. Any advice?

A friend of mine had a neat little experiment she would do when she was working on her voice to give her a gauge as to where she was. She would call local large chain bookstores and ask if there were such-and-such a book in stock. If the person on the other end of the phone actually used any pronouns, she would know instantly how a total stranger would hear her.

I, as well as many others, have posted various links around Laura's on various threads with some voice suggestions and videos. Here is one that has a few that you may find helpful. I know they helped me. :)

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43620

A friend of mine had a neat little experiment she would do when she was working on her voice to give her a gauge as to where she was. She would call local large chain bookstores and ask if there were such-and-such a book in stock. If the person on the other end of the phone actually used any pronouns, she would know instantly how a total stranger would hear her.

I, as well as many others, have posted various links around Laura's on various threads with some voice suggestions and videos. Here is one that has a few that you may find helpful. I know they helped me. :)

http://www.lauras-pl...showtopic=43620

That is an awesome idea. I'm in a similar boat since whenever I'm on the phone people think I'm my mom (shudder).

praisedbeherhooves,

One thing I've been trying in private is finding tenor parts of songs and practicing that, I was thinking of recording myself and going from there.

Hopefully that might help. Try singing low in the shower to start.

-Seth