• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gender Confused Children Dr Phil Strikes Out Again

Today Doctor Phil had a show on Gender confused Children. This UNLICENSED Psychologist is the Jerry Springer of PSYChology. DR DAn Segal from UCLA rose to our defense and our care. Anyone with Gender Identity issues needs to see a licensed Gender Therapist. http://www.lauras-playground.com/gender_therapists.htm

THis link is My Response to DR Phil who has no idea what he is talking about. This is the second time he has trashed our care from WPath which is backed by the AMA and both APA's. Guess what DR Phil they are licensed by their peers. More on this later.

http://www.lauras-playground.com/gender_co...ed_children.htm

Laura

Guest Chrissie
What do you expect from entertainment TV?

Laura's Page

Transgender : Gender Confused Children

or

Doctor Phil the Jerry Springer of Psychology gets it wrong again

by Laura Amato

Doctor Phil the Jerry Springer of Unlicensed Psychology comes out against Transgender people and their care again. Never mind that the AMA American Medical Association and both APA's have come out in favor of the WPATH Standards of our care. They are licensed though while he sells his "Snake Oil" (Voodo Psychology) on TV.

At least this time he did invite Dr Dan Segal a Gender expert at UCLA who advocates for our treatment who advocates the brain theory to explain our issues. He also invited Dr Glen Stanton a reparitive therapy expert who couldn't say how many transgender people he has treated, if any. He argues that it is nurture not nature even though DR John Money with his HUGE Psychology blunder actually proved the opposite in a patient who committed suicide named David Rhames. Dr Segal pointed this out to him. Dr Stanton Advocates forcing children to be the gender they were born with. Dr Phil agrees with him.

As a Transgender Suicide Prevention support site with 6.8 million users we know all too well about our users and all the why's where's and when's. In a survey of transsexuals here over 50% of our TS users had at least suicide attempt by their 20th birthday. This is a fact born out by our online crisis rooms. Apparantly Dr Phil and Dr Stanton don't get this or seem to care. Let's make boys, boys and girls, girls no matter how much distress or death is caused by their methods.

The transgender horror stories are real. Puberty for us is the nightmare on elm street. We need support, not being forced to be something we are not. I can tell you that this is why our crisis rooms are full even with a staff of over 100. It's not just suicide either it's cutting and self mutilation which are made worse by DR Stanton's methods.

There is only one Treatment approved by the AMA and APA and that is Wpath. When DR Stanton and DR Phil have interviewed 6.8 million Transgender people we might listen. Until that time if your child has Gender confusion at any age take them to a Gender therapist. They and only they can determine if it is a phase or not. No one ever walks in one day a boy and an hour later as a girl. This is a long and careful process. One thing is clear with new research that being Transgender is INBORN, not nurture. In Australia they just found a longer DNA Strand in Transsexuals and another recent study shows a physical cause for transmen.

A Gender Identity crisis is life threatening. No one chooses this. While I might buy A suit from DR Phil I wouldn't take therapy advice from an unlicensed TV Shrink whose interviewed a handful of Transgender people. As for DR Stanton he should always keep a gurney next to his therapist couch. His Transgender patients at least, won't be living very long. Dr Dan Segal though knows what he is talking about. Thank you Dr Segal.

I'm calling out DR Phil. If he really wants to see the truth what happens to TG Teens and adults and their stories all he needs to do is talk to our certified staff or view our forums. After 2 million emails I know what that truth is. Doctor's Phil and Stanton do not have a clue or should I say cue. Turtle wax anyone?

----

My Opinion

I think there only one thing wrong with calling out 'Doctors' like that... they are too Damned busy stroking their egos, counting their Money and being Buttheads to give a Gosh darned what someone like you thinks... Unless you really do something to make them admit they are wrong... or at least should take a second to re-examine the facts they are going to keep peddling their Misinformed, ego driven opinions until someone ends up dead for doing it and they can't get out of it.

Oprah Winfrey is as much to blame as several other individuals as She gave him his start and I believe is the owner of the company that Produces his show...

You really want to make statement get a PETITION With say about 2500 or so signatures.... and send it to Harpo productions... or whoever produces Dr. Quack these days.

Im not sure that you'll ever get Stanton without criminal charges in the mix. And even after that there will be another one to take his place

Guest Chrissie
Laura's Page

Transgender : Gender Confused Children

or

Doctor Phil the Jerry Springer of Psychology gets it wrong again

by Laura Amato

Doctor Phil the Jerry Springer of Unlicensed Psychology comes out against Transgender people and their care again. Never mind that the AMA American Medical Association and both APA's have come out in favor of the WPATH Standards of our care. They are licensed though while he sells his "Snake Oil" (Voodo Psychology) on TV.

At least this time he did invite Dr Dan Segal a Gender expert at UCLA who advocates for our treatment who advocates the brain theory to explain our issues. He also invited Dr Glen Stanton a reparitive therapy expert who couldn't say how many transgender people he has treated, if any. He argues that it is nurture not nature even though DR John Money with his HUGE Psychology blunder actually proved the opposite in a patient who committed suicide named David Rhames. Dr Segal pointed this out to him. Dr Stanton Advocates forcing children to be the gender they were born with. Dr Phil agrees with him.

As a Transgender Suicide Prevention support site with 6.8 million users we know all too well about our users and all the why's where's and when's. In a survey of transsexuals here over 50% of our TS users had at least suicide attempt by their 20th birthday. This is a fact born out by our online crisis rooms. Apparantly Dr Phil and Dr Stanton don't get this or seem to care. Let's make boys, boys and girls, girls no matter how much distress or death is caused by their methods.

The transgender horror stories are real. Puberty for us is the nightmare on elm street. We need support, not being forced to be something we are not. I can tell you that this is why our crisis rooms are full even with a staff of over 100. It's not just suicide either it's cutting and self mutilation which are made worse by DR Stanton's methods.

There is only one Treatment approved by the AMA and APA and that is Wpath. When DR Stanton and DR Phil have interviewed 6.8 million Transgender people we might listen. Until that time if your child has Gender confusion at any age take them to a Gender therapist. They and only they can determine if it is a phase or not. No one ever walks in one day a boy and an hour later as a girl. This is a long and careful process. One thing is clear with new research that being Transgender is INBORN, not nurture. In Australia they just found a longer DNA Strand in Transsexuals and another recent study shows a physical cause for transmen.

A Gender Identity crisis is life threatening. No one chooses this. While I might buy A suit from DR Phil I wouldn't take therapy advice from an unlicensed TV Shrink whose interviewed a handful of Transgender people. As for DR Stanton he should always keep a gurney next to his therapist couch. His Transgender patients at least, won't be living very long. Dr Dan Segal though knows what he is talking about. Thank you Dr Segal.

I'm calling out DR Phil. If he really wants to see the truth what happens to TG Teens and adults and their stories all he needs to do is talk to our certified staff or view our forums. After 2 million emails I know what that truth is. Doctor's Phil and Stanton do not have a clue or should I say cue. Turtle wax anyone?

----

My Opinion

I think there only one thing wrong with calling out 'Doctors' like that... they are too Damned busy stroking their egos, counting their Money and being Buttheads to give a Gosh darned what someone like you thinks... Unless you really do something to make them admit they are wrong... or at least should take a second to re-examine the facts they are going to keep peddling their Misinformed, ego driven opinions until someone ends up dead for doing it and they can't get out of it.

Oprah Winfrey is as much to blame as several other individuals as She gave him his start and I believe is the owner of the company that Produces his show...

You really want to make statement get a PETITION With say about 2500 or so signatures.... and send it to Harpo productions... or whoever produces Dr. Quack these days.

Im not sure that you'll ever get Stanton without criminal charges in the mix. And even after that there will be another one to take his place

I dont remember ever using Gosh darned :huh: I know what I did use and am suspecting some editing about ... so fess up

Guest kris devereux

taped it on dvr then watched it that idiot kept on saying you should be wearing whatever clothes that you were supposed to wear, bull like i said before that straight people just dont have a clue.

The really sad part about this, all of the uneducated masses that sit and watch this unlicenced Dr. and believe him and therefore agree with him and his tactics......I don't know how to author a petition, but I'll sign one in a heartbeat.......

....the only country in the world where people attempt to tell each other constantly who they should be, how, when, and why and yet try to convince each other that they are giving them "freedom".

At least the cup cakes and the Klan admitted they didn't think you were human.

Guest Paula D
Today Doctor Phil had a show on Gender confused Children. This UNLICENSED Psychologist is the Jerry Springer of PSYChology. DR DAn Segal from UCLA rose to our defense and our care. Anyone with Gender Identity issues needs to see a licensed Gender Therapist. http://www.lauras-playground.com/gender_therapists.htm

THis link is My Response to DR Phil who has no idea what he is talking about. This is the second time he has trashed our care from WPath which is backed by the AMA and both APA's. Guess what DR Phil they are licensed by their peers. More on this later.

http://www.lauras-playground.com/gender_co...ed_children.htm

Laura

Guest Paula D

This topic interests me a lot. I was once involved in an ethics case at a local children's

hospital, where a gung-ho surgeon wanted to change "dubious" genitalia immediately

to the "correct" assignment -- that is, to please the parents in most cases. In

discussing the issue, it quickly became clear that the victims of this, when they

hit their teen years, were seldom happy with the results. Our ethics comittee

didn't tell doctors how to do their business, but it was made clear to him that

he should at least think about waiting until the teenagers were old enough to have a

say in the issue. I suspect he didn't take this advice very well, but I never heard

any more about whether he was going to continue in his gung-ho ways or not.

And that wasn't a TV Dr Phil, but a supposedly internationally famous surgeon

who was, at tht hospital, the one usually entrusted with gender identity issues

in children.

Thanks, Laura, for bringing this up.

Paula

I dont remember ever using Gosh darned I know what I did use and am suspecting some editing about ... so fess up

We don't usually insert or substitute words by hand in a post. It most likley is the bad language filter which is automatic.

Laura

Guest StrandedOutThere

I hate Dr. Phil with every fiber of my being. He spreads misinformation and ignorance. Yeah, his show has that "for entertainment only" disclaimer. However, the people who are most likely to believe the junk he says also aren't likely to notice that disclaimer. Another problem is that people will hear things that he says and not trust them initially. Then, over time, they'll forget where they heard the information and might attribute it to a reputable source. Not cool. He should be taken off the air.

He should be taken off the air

No, that would violate his rights. You have the power to turn him off as well as not buy any products that his show promotes.

It seems that so many here want rights and freedom to be themselves but are not willing to observe other people's rights.

Guest StrandedOutThere
No, that would violate his rights. You have the power to turn him off as well as not buy any products that his show promotes.

It seems that so many here want rights and freedom to be themselves but are not willing to observe other people's rights.

That's true, taking him off the air would violate his rights. I'd much prefer that people stop watching his show so that it is taken off the air due to low ratings.

I'm thinking about his show a little differently than I do other forms of free speech because so many people take it as fact, despite the show's disclaimers that it is for entertainment only. You aren't allowed to advertise that you are a licensed clinical psychologist if you aren't. You aren't allowed to offer services as a lawyer if you haven't passed the bar exam. You aren't allowed to sell medicine that claims to cure warts if it doesn't ever do that. Believe it or not, medicines that misrepresent themselves are either taken off the shelves (if they are harmful) or forced to change their labels and fined (as was the case with Airborne, I believe).

With "Dr." Phil, despite the disclaimers, people take what he says as being potentially true. I mean, by naming the show "Dr. Phil", it is as if they are saying that he is a doctor, so things he says might be true. You put the disclaimer and then you let himself call himself "Dr."? He may have a Ph.D....in some fashion. However, he is NOT a licensed psychologist...being licensed and having a degree are NOT the same thing. However, on the show, he is at least acting out the role of a clinical psychologist. In the real world, representing yourself as a clinical psychologist when you aren't is against the law.

"Dr." Phil was sanctioned by the Texas Board of Examiners in Psychology in 1989 for having an inappropriate dual relationship with a client. He let her work in his office and might have been having a sexual relationship with her. This is NOT okay!

I also heard that "Dr." Phil was reported to be practicing without a license in California. Again...NOT okay!

I'm sure a lot of people are hurt by the ignorance that "Dr." Phil spreads. He shames psychologists everywhere and is part of the reason people don't take psychology seriously. Ever notice how psychologists will say things like ADHD is a real disorder? Then people...regular people without a psych degree...say "No it isn't". If a MD said, "This is a new form of the flu". No one would question it. If it eventually becomes the case that psychologists are regarded as pseudoprofessionals, no one is going to accept hormone letters from them. That would be bad for a lot of TS folks. I'm not saying that "Dr." Phil will be the sole cause of something like this, but he's part of what is eroding the credibility of the profession.

Yeah, so I guess it is better for us to have to repair the damage after "Dr." Phil shoots off his stupid mouth than to have a country that censors the media. Censorship is generally a bad thing, but free speech is overwhelmingly good. We have to take the good parts with the bad...just like with everything else. We have to trust people to evaluate the information they are exposed to. I don't know how to get more people to do that.

I still hate the guy though.

You get what you pay for. If it is for free it is worth nothing. Just like much of what is on the web, it is designed to market some idea and is not worth anything. Finding the truth in the snow of information is not an easy task, anyone who takes TV or any spoon fed ideas should realize that there is a motive and should be skeptical of it. That is why they have books, critics, references, editors, etc. Any information should be verified before you use it.