• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Need some helpful tips

Guest .-guest

Guest Drew35

I just wanted to know what some of your guys tips were before you were on T on how to pass. I feel like I'm not passing very well. Any advice?

Guest Jaques

I just wanted to know what some of your guys tips were before you were on T on how to pass. I feel like I'm not passing very well. Any advice?

b4 i went on T i wouldnt have passed in a million years - i just looked very feminine and had a high voice - my advice to you is to try to accept you wont always pass - if you intend to go on T, then this is only a temporary situation dont cause yourself unecessary stress. In the mean time, get a good haircut, there are sites and threads about dress and dont pack too large as this draws attention to you (a lot of guys do this and look like theyv got a hardon), watch the way bio men move, the way they "own" the space theyre in and be patient with yourself.........you will get there.

Guest Talon

I'd definitely say body language and mannerisms as well! Study bio guys and read up on male body language and mannerisms online :) Also, there are some voice exercises you can do if your voice is giving you away. I think there are some videos on YouTube on how to speak in a deeper voice. If you run a Google search, there are several websites with tips and exercises for sure.

Also, a good hair cut makes a difference, in my own case especially a classic male cut with buzzed on the sides and a little longer on top. It can really make your face appear different. Maybe you already have a real good cut :)

I think it's true what they say that it's all about attitude. That just doesn't mean that you'll always pass. But if you get up in the morning and go out there KNOWING that you are a guy, really knowing it and not accepting that someone would say you're a girl, then you may pass a bit better :) I think attitude and confidence makes a difference in how you carry yourself and that can make a difference.

Those things are what's working for me, I'm also not on T yet. Haven't seen you in real life but you look male in your picture :)

• Forum Moderator

We do have a real challenge passing pre T because we just don't have gender clUes to send that females don't also use. And we can't lower our voices enough no matter how much we practice.

No matter how hard I tried to be female I was accused of acting male all my life though was never mis-gendered because of my very female appearance. I'd have looked female with a shaved head and in a business suit! Just the way nature cursed me even though my skeletal proportions and even pelvic structure are male-I'm almost certainly intersexed due to DES but that's a whole other thing. . . So just be yourself and let those male thought patterns and mannerisms manifest themselves.

Most of us have had to go through living as a gender we are not and being seen as that gender. It's hard but you can get through it. And one of the most important lessons in life is living with what cannot be changed until it can be. Patience is essential for us.Fighting this can cause you to waste an enormous amount of time and energy with only pain and frustration as a result. pend your time and effort instead getting to a place financially and in life where you can make the changes you need

I hope you can find a way to be yourself soon

Johnny

Guest Kallum

Him pre T as well.

Tips for passing... ummm..

What the others have said is great advise.

I think I agree with what Talon said the most!

I think attitude and confidence makes a difference in how you carry yourself and that can make a difference.

This definitly makes a difference.

Thats the main thing that helps me anyways

Good luck brother,

Kal

Guest Liam H

I found that building up upper body muscle helped me pass a lot pre-T: pushups and free weights if you have them. Affected the way I stood and walked, and just seemed to help present a more masculine presence. As an added plus, the muscle on your chest makes binding hurt less.

Like the other guys said, mannerism and attitude help, but also dressing right - not saying go out and replace your entire wardrobe, but if you have some gear that puts your head in a state where you feel more masculine, it can help. Stuff that's cut to emphasize a masculine shape can be good, especially if you wear a size up - implies the shape you want, and hides everything else. Unfortunately this seems to be trial and error because every guy is different.

Another thing which I found made a difference was making sure to look people in the eye when I talked to them - strange, but it helped.

As the others said, don't worry too much about it - the waiting part sucks, but you're a guy as is, so most of the attitude part is going to be highlighted by T rather than changed. You look like you pass pretty well to me, man.

Keep your head up and all the best.

Agrees with Liam! Though I'm also pre T but been presenting as male for 5 years now and been waiting for T all this time and still waiting, I'm now nearly 22 :(

Back to passing attitude is key! And Liam says working out! I workout about 3 times a week when I can! Good luck