Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Kyu

Therapy and Counselling: Is There a Difference?

8 posts in this topic

Bit of a silly question but i honestly don't know.

I'm starting Counselling in college for my gender dysphoria next week and i wanted to know if it's the same thing as therapy. If not whats the difference? And how will both of them affect my chances of getting HRT later on?

Thanks again for your help guys, i know i'm a pain.

Huggles,

-Rachel

Good question. I would suspect that it would depend on who sees you. My daughter is in Student Counseling Services at Loyola. But she is a PhD. Physiologist.. She specializes in suicidal feelings and general depression. Some of the Councilors are not Psychologists but Sociologists.

Lizzy.

Wow, that was fast!

Thanks for the reply Lizzy, it clears up a lot. I also goggled the same question, why i didn't do that first is beyond me. Oh well, it's done now.

I did find this:

Therapy: The treatment of disease or disorders, as by some remedial, rehabilitating, or curative process (e.g. speech therapy.)

Counseling: Professional guidance in resolving personal conflicts and emotional problems. (e.g. Family Counseling)

(Refference: http://www.portland-counseling-therapy.com/articles/counseling-and-therapy-whats-the-difference)

This information was helpful, but alas, it didn't aid me in my HRT question. At least now others can look at this post for information, which is good!

I guess one or the other can refer me to a Gender Therapist for HRT, or at least that;s what my common sense tells me; but i shooting in the dark on that one, so conformation would be great. :P

Huggles,

-Rachel

I think our answers for the U.S. might differ for the U.K. It's probably best if an experienced U.K. member answers your question. Over here, pretty much any professional can refer to any other professional. But with all the bureaucracy in the NHS, I'm not even going to guess.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

As far as I can tell, In the UK, your GP among others can refer you to Tavistock, and they'll assign you a GT. Now if you want HRT, you have to do a load of complicated stuff and then your GT says sure. What I'd advise, is go private (i.e. get the bloodwork done and everything and buy the hormones yourself) until the NHS have finished mucking about and once they're done, go with them again. HRT's not too expensive and this can save you a load of time.

So yeah, get in contact with Tavistock, and you'll be given a form which can be filled in by pretty much anyone to get a GT.

Hugs,

Holly

Thanks guys i'll look up Tavistock in wales now, i'll also consult my GP for information.

Huggles,

-Rachel

Your first step in the UK should be to ask your GP to refer you for a phych assessment to give the ok for you to then be referred to a gender clinic. Good luck with your GP.

Gabe

Thanks, i'm off to see them tomorrow, i'll be sure to tell you all how it goes. I'm also going to write down what i want to ask them. I just hope everything goes well.

Huggles,

-Rachel