• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Loosing weight while on HRT

Guest Aniya

Guest Aniya

Is it easier or more difficult to loose weight while on HRT? I hear both sides of the story but want to know about personal experiences.

Typically it is harder to lose weight on hrt, but it deppends alot on your own personal motabalizim. Womens bodies are designed to store fat more readily and burn fat slower. I could get into all the boring mechanices and reasons why . but its mostly because of estrogen . so if you start taking HRT expect pounds to be harder to shed than they were before.

Sakura

Guest Jo-88

well keep in mind theres a difference between losing weight and losing fat... your going to lose weight on HRT because your going to lose muscle. However losing fat definitely gets more difficult. But there are other factors as well, for instance some people are overweight because of depression (eating when bored, sad etc) for some people HRT may relieve some of these symptoms allowing them to gain control of their eating behaviors. So basically it just all depends.

But like Sakura said, as far as burning fat goes specifically, estrogen is going to slow your metabolism down and thus slow down fat loss.

Guest Aniya

I'm not a depressed eater I just have a slow metabolism :( I guess I'll have to go on a fruits, grains, and vegetables diet. Thanks everyone!

Guest ValerieD

I have the same problem... I have a painfully slow metabolism, and I'm not even on HRT yet (though I hope to start within a month). I've been trying to diet for four months now but I feel like I haven't lost any fat at all. I don't know what to do.

Yeah I have noticed that losing weight is harder, but hey, my dog is looking pretty buff and the little so and so seems to know it :thumbsup:

Katheryn