• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hello Seattle

Guest degrave

Guest degrave

Hello, I'm a 22 year old art student who's just now getting involved in the community, and still figuring out what I want to do about my dysphoria. I realized I was bi when I was about 16, and trans almost a year later. I've been really afraid to get involved in the community anywhere because I never thought I'd fit in. I really like my personality right now, which is kind of split down the middle as far as masculine/feminine goes, and I always thought there would be pressures to squeeze myself into a more feminine personality, (not something I want as much as I need to be in a more feminine body, the personality changing qualities of hrt are one of my biggest qualms with it).

Currently I am in the closet to everyone except my best friend (supportive), my sister (supportive), my transmale dragfathers (waaay supportive), and my girlfriend (beginning to come around). At this point I don't know if I'll ever come out to my parents, my dad is accepting of LGBTQ people, but he's always been supportive and loving of his one and only son. I know if would be a big blow to him. My mom, who I'm the closest with, is a very extreme Catholic. Seriously, she's a nun in some Franciscan order that can be married, believes the world is 6,000 years old, and that LGBTQ people need prayers and therapy to save them from damnation. As much as she loves me, she would most likely kick me out, and pull the tuition from my dream college, (Because you know, I wouldn't feel this way if I hadn't moved to a wicked city like Seattle). So until I have my degree and my job, there's no way I'm coming out to my folks.

As far as feminine expressions go, I am savoring my ability as a male to be 'one of the guys,' talk, hang out, be included in the circle. I dress entirely masculine, and I

m still requesting that those in the know not spread it around, and address me with male pronouns. I know it's not the same way for girls, and certainly not for trans girls, and I know friends who won't except me aren't really my friends, but I am going to miss the feeling of unconditional acceptance I get now. That's going to change starting today, I'm going out right after this to get my first female clothes for a reference shoot for my art final. The project is to paint myself as a villain, and tomorrow I'm going to be a lady bank robber tomorrow. I'll post how that goes.

So, sorry if this was really long, hope to get to know all of you better sometime down the line, thanks for reading.

• Forum Moderator

Welcome Degrave and thanks for your intro, this is a site where you can be yourself.

Please take a moment to review the terms and conditions of this site AKA "the rules of the playground". This is a moderated site with the goal of making it safe and enjoyable for all.

I hope you enjoy your time here. Post away as the mood strikes. It's sunny outside here in the Pac NW today, I'm headed back outside now.

Hugs

Cindy -

Guest miss kindheart

Hi Degrave

<<< hug >>>

Welcome to Laura's Playground.

Please feel free to come over and chat sometime.

The Chat room does require another registration that is separate from from your forums one.

Please read the chat room rules before coming in, and expect a short interview with one of the chat room moderators.

One of the things that they will ask you is if you read the rules. :)

We all look forward to seeing you.

:wub: vanna

Hi Degrave,

Welcome to Laura's Playground! I do hope that you find this site to be enriching to you, and can join in too!

If you're in Seattle, you'll find that there's a very strong trans community here, and a supportive environment in general. You're very lucky to be here!

Take care, hope to see you around!

Love, Megan

• Root Admin

Hello Degrave,

Welcome to Laura's Playground. :)

MaryEllen

Degrave,

You certainly seem to have a fine start with assembling a real life support system, you must be very compelling in person!

About your Mom, well, yikes....somebody is gonna get their mind blown sooner or later, it seems, but ya know what? She may surprise you. One of my brothers is in a very anti-trans denomination and he has been one of my biggest supporters, in words and deeds. You never know, she may be due for a git of mind expansion, you never know..

As for retaining your masculine aspects, well, only YOU can or will know exactly what is right concerning your identity, so follow your heart and that little voice in your head. It is ALL good, there isn't a one of us EXACTLY alike here, the closer you look, the more variations you see. But, oddly, almost all gender-variant folk share so many aspects of their life stories that it can seem spooky, ya know? Suddenly, when I arrived here, I was reading posts that were EXACTLY what I had felt myself, but I had NEVER before known of anybody else that felt that way, or was treated a certain way, or saw the world a certain way, you know, like that was an epiphany for me. I was like "You mean I am not the FIRST person to ever be like this???"

It is a great thing when you find an opportunity to commune with like-minded people. They can be few and far in between sometimes! lol..

Welcome again, and good luck as you move forward..

:) Svenna

Guest degrave

Yeah, my sis and buddies are a huge blessing, I'd probably still be deep in the bad stuff without them. I'm fortunate that my passion is for art, and not... I dunno, military life. The college I'm at has a significant trans populations, (to my knowledge I'm the only mtf), so you can get away with a lot of gender atypical behavior without people singling you out.

As neat as all that is, I'm glad to be here with people who are dealing with the same issues, I'm in need of a lot of tips and tricks.

Degrave,

It takes a LOT of info and support to get the ball rolling, but you are surely on your way now..

Anything you wanna ask or need to know, we will do what we can...

Welcome again, you are in a good place!

Love, Svenna

Degrave: Welcome to Laura's and congratulation's on the progress you have made on your own. Laura's is a safe and very supportive site, so that you can proceed as slow or as fast as you wish. There is no pressure here and we are a veritable spectrum of where people are at. You will find a caring and supportive group of people here who are very happy to answer whatever questions you may have. If they don't know the answer then they probably can point you in the right direction. So kick your shoes off, get comfortable, and lets get acquainted. Hi, my name is Kathryn and I'm glad you found your way here and were able to express your story so eloquently to us. Kathryn

Guest degrave

Thanks everyone for the support, as promised, an update on my reference shoot. I was kind of great, kind of disastrous. Used support hose as a gaff, and it was not neeeaarly enough. Tried duct tape. Will never ever, ever, ever, ever do that again. I'm sure you can all imagine exactly what I did. Ended up having to be posed, then tuck, clench and pray. My godfathers helped out as much as they could. Halfway through, one of the Asian exchange students opened the door gaped, spun on the spot, and bolted. That was hilarious.

Here's the best photo, hilarious as it is. My godfathers are the two henchman on either side of me. It was really fun, and a big wake up call to how much work I have to do.

Hey, that's not as bad as you think!

Time and effort will work wonders, HRT can sweeten the deal, but you aren't as far off as you may imagine...

You'll be fine!

But, it DOES take work, and time, and...lol....

:) Svenna

Hi Degrave,

I enjoyed your photo! Oh to look so young and svelte... But, yeah, duct tape and tender flesh, let alone hair? Not worth it in my mind!

Transition can be a lot of work, but it's not that difficult if just taken a step at a time. Don't think about all the work to be done so much as taking the next step. And you've a couple of enforcers to help you along - that's terrific!

See you on the hill someday!

Love, Megan

• Forum Moderator

Nice pix indeed !

Enjoy yourself, life is sweet.

Cindy -

That really was a nice photo. Your going to do just fine. Just remember baby steps at first, then a little walking and when you reach running stage you'll come to the finish line exillerated and on top of the world. Kathryn

• 1 month later...
Guest degrave

An update on all the stuff that's happened and what's going on now. I was in the hospital for a bit after a suicide attempt, and when I came off all the drugs and sedatives they put me on, I decided it was time to live for me! Did some shopping with my girlfriend who's entirely come around and is fully supportive, and got some dice shoes and pants.

I'm not comfortable trying to pass yet, but I'm easing into an androgynous look. Thankfully my girlfriend works at Lush, so I've got access to some of the best bodycare products in the world, (I SMELL LIKE FREAKIN EARL GREY 24/7!). By the way, she will get super fired if I say anything specific about it on here, but they're about to come out with a whole new range of awesome stuff that will blow your minds. I'm way excited. Anyways, here's my update photo, what do you think?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 128 Guests (See full list)

• Chloe Summer
    • Vidanjali
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • Jet McCartney
    • Ashley0616
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

JamesyGreen
    Newest Member
    JamesyGreen

1. Dillon
      Dillon
    2. Kaylee888
      Kaylee888
    3. lily100
      lily100
      (39 years old)
    4. Luce
      Luce
      (44 years old)
    5. Luke.S
      Luke.S
    • Ashley0616
      It's awesome that you have had such a great friend in your life! I could only imagine what losing felt like to you. It's neat that you worked for the airlines. Did you take advantage of the space availability fights? My dad worked for Northwest and always flew every single summer except one where we drove from north Mississippi to Phoenix, AZ. My parents agreed to never do that again lol. 
    • Ashley0616
      The trans community won't be good under Trump at all. Biden is the one who has done more for the trans community than any other presidents. Last time Trump was in office he was at an LGBTQ rally and his support went quickly away from us because the majority of the voters are anti trans. He is going to get rid of our rights and also come after the rest of LGBTQ.  I don't know where you heard we would be better under Trump.    Trump unveils sweeping attack on trans rights ahead of 2024 (axios.com)   Trump Promises to Go After Trans People if Re-Elected (vice.com)   Trump promises to ban transgender women from sports if re-elected (nbcnews.com)
    • Sally Stone
      Post 7 “The Pittsburgh Years” When I retired from the Army, we moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania because I had been hired by US Airways to work in their flight training department.  The transition to civilian life was a bit of an adjustment, but I never really looked back.  At the same time, I was excited at the prospect of having more Sally time. But with work and two teenage boys in the house, getting to be Sally was a challenge.    The biggest issue in this regard were my sons, as they didn’t know about my feminine side.  My wife and I discussed, in great detail, whether or not to tell them.  If they had known about Sally, it would have been much easier to actually be Sally when I wanted to.  But I still didn’t know exactly where my transgender journey was going to take me, and this uncertainty was the primary reason my wife and I decided it wasn’t the right time to tell them about Sally.  Except for the convenience it would afford me, we didn’t think it was fair to burdened them with such a sensitive family secret if it wasn’t absolutely necessary.  If at some point things changed and it looked like I might be heading towards transition, my wife and I agreed we would revisit our decision.   Despite having to tiptoe around the boys I was able, with my wife often running interference for me, to significantly increase my girl time.  The nature of my variable work schedule meant that often days off occurred during the week when the boys were in school, and on those days, I took full advantage of the time.  Additionally, I had discovered a new trans friend through a local support group, and my wife, ever and always accommodating, ensured I had time for outings with my new friend.    Willa, my new friend, quickly became my best friend, and after only a short time, she and my wife became quite close as well.  With Willa’s help, I would soon discover that Pittsburgh was a very trans friendly city.  Together, she and I made the town our own.  We attended the theater, the symphony, we went out to dinner regularly, and I think we visited every museum in the city.  With Willa’s support and friendship, I was actually becoming quite the girl about town.    Willa and I had a lot in common.  We loved to shop, we had similar feminine styles, and we had similar views and feelings about being trans.  In fact, our frequent and deep discussions about transgender issues helped me begin to understand my transgender nature.  Having Willa as a springboard for all topics transgender, was probably as effective as regularly visiting a therapist.  I would never discount anyone’s desire to seek professional help, but having an unbiased confidant, can also be an effective method for self-discovery.    Exploring the city as Sally and spending time with Willa was instrumental in helping me understand my transgender nature, and would begin shaping my transgender objective.  My feelings about the kind of girl I was and where I wanted to go began to solidify.  Being out and socializing as Sally in a big city like Pittsburgh, taught me I could express my femininity without issue.  I honestly felt confident I could live my life as a woman; however, remaining completely objective, I just couldn’t see giving up the life I’d built as a man.   At that time, I was being heavily influenced by the concept of the gender binary, which had me thinking I had to choose between being a man or being a woman.  It was Willa who reminded me there were no rules requiring gender identity to be binary.  During one of our deep discussions, she posited the idea of enjoying both genders, something she was doing, and a concept that made a lot of sense to me.  I was already living the life of a part-time woman, so I simply started paying more attention to how that was making me feel.    One characteristic that was dominating my feminine self-expression (and it continues to this day) was that when I was Sally, I was “all in.”  When I became Sally, it was such a complete transformation that I truly felt like a woman.  The feeling was powerful, and if I had to describe it another way, I’d say it was akin to an actor, so into the part, they actually become the character they are portraying.  That was me, and I discovered that this level of depth was extremely fulfilling, and that feeling tended to last long after transitioning back to my male persona.  Part-time womanhood it seemed, was actually working for me.    Eventually, a job change forced me to move away from Pittsburgh, but the enlightenment I experienced while living there has shaped the nature of my bi-gender personality to this day.  Even after leaving, Willa and I remained the best of friends.  We had many more adventures, some of which I will detail in later posts.  Sadly, Willa passed away two-years ago after contracting a prolonged illness.  Her loss was hard to take and I miss her dearly.  However, I have so many fond memories of our times together, and because her support helped shape me, she lives on in my heart.   Hugs,   Sally
    • missyjo
      thank you dear. I'm constantly working at adjusting n writing off other people's judgment or input.   thank you n good luck
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Them's fighting words, but I intend to discuss this respectfully, calmly and so forth, in accordance with the forum rules.   Considering the one issue below in isolation:   There is a political calculus that trans folk may be better off under Trump than under Biden.  The argument goes that Biden has created such a backlash by moving so far to the left that red states, in particular, are reacting with a swarm of laws that negatively impact trans folk.  Some of his actions strike many people as clumsily forcing unwanted regulation on people, and some of his appointments, such as the luggage stealing bigender individual, have not helped advance trans folk but rather the reverse.  In a second term Biden would make things worse for trans folk because of the backlash and resentment his policies would create.    Trump likely would have negative impacts to trans folk, as he did in his first term with respect to the military, so it is a set of tradeoffs as to which is worse.   Thoughts?
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Can you dress androgynously? 
    • Ashley0616
    • Abigail Genevieve
      There are trans folk who pass better than some cis people.  People usually aren't on the lookout for those who are cross dressed.  As long as there are no multiple screaming signals and you don't draw attention to yourself you can probably pass better than you think. For example, if you walk into a bank in heels, however, and you DON'T know how to walk in heels, you will attract the attention of a security guard, especially if you are acting nervous. If you wear flats and just go to the bank and do your business like anyone else, it is likely no one will notice, except that there was a customer who was taller than most women are, but then there are tall women, and tall, broad shouldered woman.  I made the mistake years ago of thinking I had outed such, and knew she was a he.  Later I learned she had five kids, and her husband was bigger than she was.  Ooops.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I don't know much about CNAs.  They report to an RN, right?  Can you somehow bring this up to the RN in a way that does not get your CNA mad at you? I'm not saying you should, but maybe that is a good course of action.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      This is the thing.  A month ago tomorrow is when I stopped wearing m clothing.  Today I feel great.  I do not have dysphoria when I am dressed as and I move as a woman.  I was just thinking about that because I was wondering if I would or will get hit with a wave of "you don't have dysphoria so you might as well dress like a guy. Less hassle with your wife."  Not that she is aware, to my knowledge, that these androgynous clothes are women's.  No desire to "flip", no feeling of need to, just happy identifying as female.  Speaking, in my deep guy voice, with female voice patterns, doing the feminine gestures that come naturally and without exaggeration and at peace.
    • Birdie
      Yes, my brother was born lactating due to absorbing hormones from my mum.    Of course she isn't a nurse, she is a CNA. She should however still have general medical knowledge.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I agree.  But sometimes unethical conduct must still be legal, because the cure would be worse than the disease.  One problem we have today with the internet is the trolls can gang up on someone and destroy them - we see the with school bullying as well.   He was in the Southern Baptist Convention, and maybe he should have moved his church over to say the American Baptists, who might have been able to help him. A Southern Baptist pastor is king in his church, peerless, which means he could not have gone for help in his church.  And he could not have gone for help from any other pastor in the SBC because they likely affirm the SBC statements on these matters.  I think he was stuck.    I read this when it came out in the news.  Very sad situation.  
    • Carolyn Marie
      One organization that I know of that is dedicated to assisting LGBT seniors is SAGE.  They advocate for, and have services for, all LGBT folks, not just trans folk.  You can find their website Here.  I am not sure what, if anything, they have in terms of financial assistance.  I'll let you know if I find anything else.   Carolyn Marie
    • Davie
    • VickySGV
      This was an angle that I was very suspicious of as well, and may be the hook on which the settlement was hung.      Not at all strange especially if they had former patients who moved there that still owed money on their bills or they were buying hospital supplies from a Texas corporation. They may have business licenses in other states as well.  Small loss, but saxeT shot itself in the foot there since the license was a source of income to the state. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.