This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Daisy Mae

A little advise

2 posts in this topic

I have read lots of posts and have seen that the it is best to see a therapist. Having been unemployed for 3 years I may have a chance for a federal service position (para legal) in Afghanistan in July, would leave in September if I get it. There is a job fair coming up in June in Detroit for vets and have been told that they are hiring on the spot for federal service.

I came out of the closet in 2006 when I retired from the military. Only my wife and children know, I have not told my sisters or mother. Within the last couple of months I have lost my appetite and I am now having trouble sleeping. Usually go to bed around 10pm and will be awake by 2 and stay awake until I finally get up around 6:30am.

I would have to use the VA system since we have no money to spend on therapy. I am 60% disabled from the military due to a back injury before retiring after 24 years of service so I get everything free from the VA. I am afraid to say anything to my VA doctor because I don't want to lose any possibility of getting a job. I really need to land a job and the stress of being unemployed us taking a toll me.

Being a strong introvert, I am not sure on what direction to go and have a real hard problem talking to others especially gender issues.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post

Link to post

Hi Daisy Mae,

In my opinion you may need to see a doctor apart from your gender issues to help with anxiety over your situation. You need only tell them about your sleep loss and appetite just to get your physical state a bit more stable. Hard to deal with anything when you're run down.

Anything you impart to a doctor, VA or other wise, is confidential but I understand your concern. Perhaps you might see a VA PC and mention the fact that you have a lot on your mind and need to speak to a therapist. Once you see a therapist, you can address your gender issues in a nonspecific approach and go from there. This is something on which I can only advise and offer an opinion. I can't see any reason your gender issues would hurt your chances for a job but again, if you have concern, you have to take that into account.

This is a good place, introvert (As I am) or not to air all your gender concerns and questions. In your place, I'd get your physical concerns addressed first and you may see things more clearly.

Anything I can do to help, I'll be more than happy. I'm retired and a disabled Vet in the VA system so I can relate. But in the end, you'll have to decide what's best for you and your family.

Sara Lee

Share this post

Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

    • Jani423
  • Topics With Zero Replies

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts