• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Switched to Andro Gel 1.62% today

Bulldog1948

• Forum Moderator

I saw my dr. yesterday and I asked him for a script for the new Anddogel 1.62%. I have used the injection for years and I decided it was time to take a break from the needle. I guess my behind was getting tired of being poked every 2 weeks. And, since I don't like needles to begin with, the thigh was out as I never could poke myself. Just call me Mr. Chicken lol.

The gel comes in a pump. The standard does is ** "pumps" dailey applied to the shoulders and or upper arm area that will be covered by a t-shirt. I knew last night that my body was wanting its T, but I decided to wait and see if my insurance was going to pay for the gel. Needless to say, my behind got a repreive and each of my shoulders got their new Gel.

Now, the price is not so great. The orginal price at my pharmacy was $333.00. OUCH!!!!!!! To me, that is hiway robbery. But, as long as my insurance covers it I will be able to get it. Now, I have to watch for any type of skin reaction. Never had one years ago when I used it. Back then, it came in individual packets and I think the cost was around $250.00.

Anyway, just thought I'd give a little update with the new Gel. If there is anything new to report, I will post it.

Mike

Guest CariadsCarrot

The price sounds like it gives the wallet as much 'ouch' as the needles gave your butt!...but if it works out with the insurance then that's all cool.

I hope there's no reaction and the gel works out for you Mike.

Gabe

Guest Erwynn

I had a generic lotion made by a local compounding pharmacy, and it was a lot less than a comparable Androgel script. That might be an option if insurance decides it doesn't want to play ball.

After a month, I decided it wasn't worth the risk of transferring it to any of my 5 kids accidentally, but it was kind of nice to use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Yep, it's the one you see advertised on Tv. And, I'm doing just fine on it. Insurance does pay for it. I just got tired of the needle routine and decided to give my behind a break. lol.

Had a drs appt today and no problems with useing the Gel at all. The nice thing is that if I feel the need I can decrease my personrl dose. But, I would never increase the dose that my dr has perscribed for me.

I've never tried the compounded script. And, we're on great grandkids so I don't have to worry about them getting any on themselves.

Mike