• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Big nose~ How do you distract/make it look natural?

Guest Kelly-087

Guest Kelly-087

So, pre-HRT. I know it might look a little different after. But, I eventually plan to get a nose job. When I have the money. Maybe before I come out and live full time.

Until then, how do you handle the schnozosaurus-rex?

Im thinking something like glasses would help. Which I have a new pair to get sometime soon. Maybe after I come out to my mother so I can explain why I'd be getting girl frames (cannot stand male frames.)

Guest Guest_SL

Without being able to judge first hand let me say that two of the most attractive women I've ever know had unique noses and as a result of their confidence neither had or would ever getting a nose job. But if it's an issue than yes, glasses can make a noticeable difference. The way you wear your hair will even more so. Any salon with good stylists will help you out there. If you can't do hair right now, a wig can work wonders. If you're not out to anyone and won't be for a while look at some hair styles for the future. Avoid turtlenecks and large earrings. If you wear makeup, there's a lot of tricks that help there as well. You'll need a good beautician to help at first as it's a matter of blending tones and going the wrong way will make things worse. So; Confidence, glasses, hair, makeup and more confidence.

SL

• Forum Moderator

I always thought my nose stood out. I've found that if i blend it into my face with foundation it helps in its prominence. It seems to fade back like camo. Maybe its wishful thinking but it might help.

Charlie

Guest Kelly-087

I agree. I've seen a transgirl that had a noticeable nose but was still quite cute. Just at the moment, it feels like the biggest flaw of my face. The rest is so workable I think.

Thanks for the advice.

Guest otter-girl

Just to add to Sara's great tips. The feature we like least also looks a lot worse to ourselves than it does to others if they even notice at all.

Rachel. :)

Guest Guest_SL

I always thought my nose stood out. I've found that if i blend it into my face with foundation it helps in its prominence. It seems to fade back like camo. Maybe its wishful thinking but it might help.

Charlie

Exactly and your photo should be a good example as your facial features lookperfectly balanced. Rachel makes a good point. I dated two different gals who had suffered from teenage acne and both were ultra sensitive until I told them how many guys wanted to take them out. They had no idea that most guys looked at all the other qualities. A warm and genuine smile is very effective and it doesn't cost a thing.

If you have a problem consulting with beauticians, phone and speak to them. Trust me, they'll be thrilled to help out.

Good luck!

SL

• Forum Moderator

Believe it or not I once had a friend who had a charm school type business and when she was launching it she recruited me as a teacher for some of the evening classes and arranged make-up training for us to do it. ( For some reason it kind of embarrasses me and I I don't think I have disclosed this before :)). Also had stage make-up classes in college which helped me all the time I lived as a woman to create whatever look I wanted. I always approached the face that never felt like mine anyway as an artistic project. One thing I was taught in all of that was to take your best feature and emphasize that-like your eyes or your lips. A few great beauties can emphasize it all but most women need to have one great focal point and leave the others bland. Especially anything you want to recede. Anything you do to contour or change it is actually likely to draw attention to it rather than away unless you are a master at make-up which few women are even with decades of practice.

I'd say do your nose exactly the same as the rest of the face and then make your eyes or lips really pop. The eyes if you can because it will especially draw attention away from your nose. Really long lashes can make that happen too and you can get the semi-permanent ones fairly reasonable at many salons.

Salons by the way really don't care why you want something or who you are. I have found them to be some of the most accepting places from my early experiences and what I have read and heard.

Play around and have fun

BTW I like noses with character on women.

Johnny

Guest Guest_SL

Johnny,

Because of the glasses being mentioned I forgot about lashes! That's a really good way to highlight a feature. I'm glad you you mentioned the salons and you're spot on. And I too find a woman whose a nose with character very attractive. Good example, British actress Leslie Sharp. She uses her hair as well as glasses to good effect but she doesn't go crazy if she's in profile. She looks good and she knows she looks good!

SL (Take JJ's advice, play around and have fun.)

Guest Kelly-087

I'd have considered including picture.

But my phone's camera distorts my nose to absurd portions. Like seriously, it makes my nose take up like 2/3 of my face.

Guest otter-girl

Great advice from Sara, Johnny and Charlie. I forgot to mention that my nose is well squint to one side. But I have been told I have nice eyes and smile so i will need to let them help me. Out and about it's the nice smiles I always notice (so few on show these days).

{hugs}

Rachel.

Guest Guest_SL

I'm going to hit on the most important thing you need to do to help you appearance. Don't smoke! Ever! Lot's of reasons but it destroys the skin as bad as sun exposure which is next on the list, use sunblock and avoid tanning and sunburn. You can keep youthful looking skin well into your 50's if you avoid sun exposure. You do need some but no more than 20 minutes a day. If you use alcohol, use it in moderation. Dries out the skin and does all sorts of damage. DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Cut out sugar if you can. You don't need it anyway. Have a good skin regimen each day. Avoid harsh chemicals and cleansers. A goats milk soap and cool or cold water and pat your skin dry, don't rub away like you're sanding a sail boat. I could go on and on. That'll get you started. As Rachel points out, a smile is the number one feature for any one so work on your smile. A nose job is costly and may be something down the road but a consult with your dentist should be first.

I'm going to go back to Charlie's photo for a bit. Notice her hair? Very much styled to the shape of her face. Bringing her hair down across her forehead is a softening touch. Notice how her top is well below her neck, great way to soften facial features and good bone structure below her neck works well. Clothing color. Depending on your skin tone, you can do a lot with how you dress and poor color choices will really make things worse. And her smile. Notice how she smiles with her eyes as well as her mouth? Do a lot of trial in the mirror. And use different light settings.

You need a nose, you've got one so work around it. It's probably not as noticeable as you imagine.

SL

• Forum Moderator

Remember the girl from the movie "Dirty Dancing" ? She is often cited as an example of how to kill a career by changing appearance. She had a prominent ethnic nose she hated and after that movie got it fixed. Most people consider that it took her from a unique beauty to a vanilla cute and ruined her career.

Something to ponder. Others don't see us the way we do and your nose may actually be something that adds rather than detracts from your appearance.

Johnny

Guest Guest_SL

Remember the girl from the movie "Dirty Dancing" ? She is often cited as an example of how to kill a career by changing appearance. She had a prominent ethnic nose she hated and after that movie got it fixed. Most people consider that it took her from a unique beauty to a vanilla cute and ruined her career.

Something to ponder. Others don't see us the way we do and your nose may actually be something that adds rather than detracts from your appearance.

Johnny

Great illustration JJ! One of the hottest models in the business today has a huge gap between her front teeth. Take that away and she's just another model. Might be overwhelming you with info here so filter through and you'll find a lot of useful tips.

SL

Guest Kelly-087

I'm going to hit on the most important thing you need to do to help you appearance. Don't smoke! Ever! Lot's of reasons but it destroys the skin as bad as sun exposure which is next on the list, use sunblock and avoid tanning and sunburn. You can keep youthful looking skin well into your 50's if you avoid sun exposure. You do need some but no more than 20 minutes a day. If you use alcohol, use it in moderation. Dries out the skin and does all sorts of damage. DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Cut out sugar if you can. You don't need it anyway. Have a good skin regimen each day. Avoid harsh chemicals and cleansers. A goats milk soap and cool or cold water and pat your skin dry, don't rub away like you're sanding a sail boat. I could go on and on. That'll get you started. As Rachel points out, a smile is the number one feature for any one so work on your smile. A nose job is costly and may be something down the road but a consult with your dentist should be first.

I'm going to go back to Charlie's photo for a bit. Notice her hair? Very much styled to the shape of her face. Bringing her hair down across her forehead is a softening touch. Notice how her top is well below her neck, great way to soften facial features and good bone structure below her neck works well. Clothing color. Depending on your skin tone, you can do a lot with how you dress and poor color choices will really make things worse. And her smile. Notice how she smiles with her eyes as well as her mouth? Do a lot of trial in the mirror. And use different light settings.

You need a nose, you've got one so work around it. It's probably not as noticeable as you imagine.

SL

Thanks for the advice. I don't smoke. Really can't. I depend too much on my lungs, and smoking makes me vomit. That's a literal statement. I don't do much in sugar either, I don't like it in my diet and it rarely tastes that great to me. (Sure, it's sweet. But it's not as good as when I was younger). I do use an acne scrub,it helps because I do have that problem if I don't. Along with a radiance skin cream, which has worked wonders for my skin and blotchiness. Sometimes an eye cream. I do have some very fair skin. Especially in the morning, when for some reason it is incredibly pale.. I have noticed my nose doesn't stand out nearly as much when it's pale. Any reccomendations for holding that paleness I see in the morning? It seems to also minimize any other flaws I have in my skin.. makes me look all the more forward to HRT since I know it only gets better.

• Forum Moderator

i can't help but say "thanks for all the compliments". No rouge needed today! We can only modify ourselves a bit. I'm born this way and am already pushing things just a bit by changing gender? ya think.....Anyway i wish i had small soft hands and was 5'3" but i've got to use and be comfy with what i got while trying to play up my best features. Get huge breast forms if you don't want people to see your nose. Maybe a flowery blouse, but most of all be confident and enjoy what ya got girl.

Hugs, Charlie

Guest Nova Maria

Hunty, you came to the right place! As a Jewish former-Drag Queen, making my nose look smaller happens to be my specialty!

It's all about creating the illusion of shadow. Take some dark powder foundation and apply it to the sides and bottom of your nose with an eyeshadow brush. And blend it very very very well!!!! You can also place a lighter color along the length of the bridge of your nose, if you like. Contouring can change the appearance of your facial features almost as effectively as plastic surgery. :D

Guest Kelly-087

Hunty, you came to the right place! As a Jewish former-Drag Queen, making my nose look smaller happens to be my specialty!

It's all about creating the illusion of shadow. Take some dark powder foundation and apply it to the sides and bottom of your nose with an eyeshadow brush. And blend it very very very well!!!! You can also place a lighter color along the length of the bridge of your nose, if you like. Contouring can change the appearance of your facial features almost as effectively as plastic surgery. :D

Thanks!

This might be edited out, but I knew a jewish girl would have experience with this lol.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

That's really good advice. I was going to suggest either a certain frame style of glasses or using makeup to do some shadow contouring.