• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First Time Shaving Your Legs?

Guest Elizabeth K

Guest ChrisRydia

I actually started shaving my legs a couple of weeks ago. I do take a shower everyday, I skip a day of shaving my legs. I did nicked myself on my right leg, but I didn't have a cut. My legs feel so smooth.

Rydia

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tracy_j

• VickySGV

• Charlize

• CamilleR

Guest julia_d

c'mon girls.. buy a good razor. I like the gillette venus (not the vibrate function.. does my head in.. hmmm..) .. after years of using disposables and going through hell with them. Mind you.. it's practise as well.. I can do everything in the dark these.. you get used to doing it every couple of days and it becomes a habit once you get your pathway around everywhere worked out.

Simple rules really.. good razor, real cream or .. well.. I'm a cheapskate and use old fashioned red carbolic soap.. seems the best result on my skin.. no rash with that.. and I do mine after a nice relaxing warm bath, gets everything nice and soft. Only hair I have is on my head. I used to only have a shower 3 houses ago.. same mission.. get showered then blitz it. If you do it every couple of days it becomes much less of a chore after a while it just becomes something else you do.

• 2 months later...
Guest sarah f

This is a really good post Lizzy. I just wish I read this before I used nair for the first time. Oh well you live and learn. I just shaved my legs this morning after using nair on monday. I can tell you that it was time because it was itching like you said after just a little stubble. Oh how good it feels now. I love that smooth feeling. I keep my legs lotioned twice a day which makes my legs really smooth and soft to the touch. Wow, I now know what I was missing all this time.

Love,

Sarah F

Try using dove soap instead of shaving cream.

I think it works better , and it cost less.

It is 1/4 cleansing cream; You won't have dry skin after your bath.

I like the the pink one :D

:wub: vanna

Guest Bob_MTx

(14) BEST recommendation of all - if you can afford it, buy a depilatory "shaver. " These pull out our leg hairs using machine tweezers. ...

I use these little shaver like epilators. I have the yellow and white ones

that later were changed to pink and white. The first time you use it, it is not

real fun but follow ups are much more pleasant. They are not quite as good as waxing

but are much more convenient. Long hairs can get inside the workings and

require some disassembly to tweezer them out. If not cleaned they can run a little

warm and slow due to excess friction. If you shave down long hairs first to a

quarter of an inch or so, there is no problem.

I think they do discourage some regrowth as waxing would. I have used herbs

for over five years while using the epilator ...and some areas, such as

the back of my calfs, front mid section of my thighs and my butt, i now have

almost no hair.

The one place where waxing seems better is the center part of my chest. So far

the epilator is painful there. That may improve with time or until I start

hrt perhaps.

Overall I have been happy with these mechanical tweezers. They may or may not

work as well for you.

susan57

Guest julia_d

Just a warning for girls with breastforms.. dove soap residue (the moisturiser) is REALLY bad for the silicone.. it rots it very quickly and they come apart at the seams.. just so you know.

I'm off to do mine in a while.. as usual.. every other day.. some good tunes on the cd player (I have a stereo in the bathroom.. a full stack system.. big bathroom hehehe) and get a nice vibe going and the 10 minutes it takes to zip all over isn't even a chore.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sarah f

It gets eaier Maddi. I did good the first time and had no cuts. The second time I was not so lucky. I had two cuts that burned when I put lotion on my legs afterwards. They don't go away too quickly either. Take your time and make sure to make easy strokes with not too much pressure. Good Luck going forward.

Love,

Sarah F

• 2 months later...
Guest Michelle Hayden

I had my whole body lasered amd electrolysis done, so now i dont even have to shave my legs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lo_lo

girls, has anybody got any advice on creams or gels to use after shaving?I want something which stops the stinging and rashyness that smells feminine!

• 1 month later...
Guest Hildagard

Can I just add a little?

Don't go out and buy a brand new razor when shaving your legs for your first time, you'll cut yourself up red and raw. Use one thats been a little blunted (But not blunt) to just learn the lay of the land first, and when you feel comfortable buy a new razor or razor head and go for the smooth glory.

Happy Shaving Girls.

Guest Arielle

I've been shaving since I was 21 (mostly for sports), once I started I didn't want to stop. I didn't mind harry legs at first, but now I can't stand them.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Esperanza Xochitl

As with my face I have a tendency to when hairs grow out as stubble, I pluck some of them with tweezers to thin out what I have to deal with. I've noticed lately that many of them (not necessarily a majority, but a noticeable amount) don't grow back and the plucked ones that do come back grow back thinner. This is just what works for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Melissa 67

I also realised today after spilling lots of blood that shaving along bone it a really bad idea :( Ouch~

well you have to shave along bone at some point to get you're leg shaved, like the bone on the top of your lower part of your leg. You just have to be carefull when doing that part. you'll get used to the right amount of pressure to press on each area.

Melissa 67

The 1st time that I shaved my legs was in winter, and I was very awear on just how cold my legs were, but the positive thing is that I absolutely love the wonderfully smooth feeling of hairless legs, and that is the way are basically all the time now.

Patricia :) :)

I know I cut myself plenty of times when I started to shave my legs. Plus the bottom of my legs by the calf looked pale and sick. However I've been shaving my legs for about 1/2 year now and make sure to moisturize them everyday. I give them some sun too. Now they are silky smooth. And when I touch them they are actually soothing. When I start feeling hair on my legs it bothers me. Since I'm not on hormones yet I shave my legs daily. I know I will never let hair take over on my legs again.

Jenny

• 1 month later...

Oh thank god I was lucky enough to not cut cut myself on the first try infact I'm Lucky that I have only cut myself Twice in my time shaving my legs

the first time was the back of the ancle on the tendon thing that bled like a blowhole on a whale lol it also hurt alot too I couldn't stand on it for the rest of the night =(

the second time was just a scab but bled just the same

Lucy

• 2 weeks later...

The habits i formed in the shower using my mens shaver got great results for the most part, some areas i just could not get smooth at all cause the angle of the shaver head during my stroke was lifting away from the skin. The razor head just did not angle enough. I lived with it until i was at a friends house over night and i saw her venus shaver. The head could angle a full 90 degrees. I just could not resist and stole a new blade head, then gave it a try and voila. What was once rough now was smooth and i ran out the next day and got one of my own. Loved it ever since.

I tried out 3 or so removal creams and cried at the pain it caused and the huge ugly burn looking rashes. OK, maybe not huge, twoonie sized test patches, but felt huge cause it hurt like i had used a corrosive acid and brought tears to my eyes. Oh my sensitive skin! :(

and umm... twoonie is the Canadian 2 dollar coin for those who did not know

Guest sarah f

The habits i formed in the shower using my mens shaver got great results for the most part, some areas i just could not get smooth at all cause the angle of the shaver head during my stroke was lifting away from the skin. The razor head just did not angle enough. I lived with it until i was at a friends house over night and i saw her venus shaver. The head could angle a full 90 degrees. I just could not resist and stole a new blade head, then gave it a try and voila. What was once rough now was smooth and i ran out the next day and got one of my own. Loved it ever since.

I tried out 3 or so removal creams and cried at the pain it caused and the huge ugly burn looking rashes. OK, maybe not huge, twoonie sized test patches, but felt huge cause it hurt like i had used a corrosive acid and brought tears to my eyes. Oh my sensitive skin! :(

and umm... twoonie is the Canadian 2 dollar coin for those who did not know

Thanks for the heads up on the venus shaver. I always use a mach 3 shaver and it gets it pretty smooth but it could be closer. I will have to give the venus a try.

• 2 months later...
Guest MelissaC

Hm, just did it for the first time a couple of days ago.

Broke out in a bit of a rash in a few spots. Stubble's coming back now and I want to get rid of it already, but I guess I've got to wait for the rash to die down. Hopefully the rash stops showing up as my skin gets more used to this routine.

And luckily it's winter right now so I can keep my legs hidden for awhile.

Guest Audrey Elizabeth

I love my epilator. It hurts but it works so much better for me than shaving, especially in the bikini area where I would get red bumps no matter what advice, razor, or gel I tried. Plus my hair has thinned out since using it and now that I am on hormones I am hoping things will be even better.

Audrey

Guest Hayley21

I absulutly LOVE shaving my legs, there so silky!! Soft, Gosh its a great thing, been shaving now since I was 16 so thats hmmmmm 4 yrs now I guess, I shave maybe once every 2weeks. I also use lotion after I shave helps keep'em soft :)