• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First Time Shaving Your Legs?

Guest Elizabeth K

Guest Marie L

If you go to a high school where you have P.E. every day and must change in public locker rooms, how would you go about hiding/excusing shaved legs? I don't swim or lift weights, so those are out. I really want nice smooth legs, though! =(

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tracy_j

• VickySGV

• Charlize

• CamilleR

Guest Paradox

After 7 years of spironolactone, I have almost no leg hair at all, just a few stray hairs on my right kneecap. Shaving is just one thing I do not have to think about.

• 1 month later...

The hard part when part time is when it's cold. Feels like a porcupine attacking my legs if i don't shave every day LOL

You would not believe how many times I wondered about this. I thought - 'jeez, do cisgirls have to go through this prickling from shaving their legs?'.

I now have the answer for anybody who is interested.

I am now over 2 years since I finished a course of 6 LHR treatments to my legs, feet and bikini area - I very rarely have the porcupine effect anymore. I shave my legs roughly (no pun intended) every 2 weeks now instead of every other day. The hairs I remove are just the odd rogues that I can feel more than see and they are much finer. The porcupine effect - I don't think cis girls get it very much as their hair is softer and finer. I used to get lots of ingrown hairs too, I think this could have been because the hairs were 'catching' inside the follicle and then not managing to escape into the open - then, good morning ingrown hair, ta-dah.

K x.

I don't know what's been said here, and I don't care to, but I'll let you know that I take a Calgon-bath in hot water, and then I shave my legs (and anywhere else that might need it; though now, thanks to my hormone regimen, I don't have disgusting body hair anymore) with Mane and Tail hair conditioner—shaving cream is a waste of money; conditioner works better—which you can pick up at WALGREENS (and also use it on your long hair), and I use a Venus Embrace five-bladed razor, and I'm better legged than 98% of other women walking the world, today.

(Note: Before my hormone regimen really started kicking in, I epilated with an "Emjoi Prestige 21 Tweezer Epilator" when needed, though if I had to do it over again, I would choose a 72-bladed epilator to quicken the epilation activity; the PRESTIGE was only 36. I got mine at Sally's Beauty Supply.)

Also, when you shave or epilate and have a problem with bumps popping up all over your legs, as soon as you're done shaving you need to coat your legs with anti-bacterial handsoap and let it completey dry, then wash it off. The anti-bacterial soap kills the microscopic life that causes the bumps in the first place. Listen to me I know what I'm talking about; I have degrees that say so. . . .

Of course, after drying your legs out with letting anti-bacterial handsoap dry on them, you should then moisturize them with body lotion. But you girls knew that, right? RIGHT?

Edited by VickySGV
Posts combined for clarity
Guest LindseyBrulay

iv shaved my legs multiple times, against growth, with growth, different razors, different creams, and i keep getting 1of2 results... either i get a nasty rash on my thighs or there is still hair left when im done. i also hate the way my legs feel about 20-48hrs after shaving. at this point im going to give up on it and just nair from now on unless theres a good trick i dont know about. also i havnt started HRT yet. that will help right?

Guest I See London

I have been shaving for the past few months using Skintimate shave gel (which makes my legs feel wonderful). I have not gotten completely use to it though, even though I barely cut myself anymore I do miss some hair. I also have a problem with razor bumps and I have been trying to get rid of them with certain types of lotions and using an exfoliating scrubber, but they are still there. Any tips for one who showers?

• 1 month later...
Guest Aimee Galloway

New to Shaving?

Girls, I've been doing this since before most of you were born (I hate to say).

(1) first few times will be rough because your skin is not toughened yet, there are layers of dry skin that tend to be removed along with the hair, and you will nor be familiar with shaving your legs, which is NOTHING like shaving your face.

(2) Practice will help. But on the first few tries you will cut and maim, even using the utmost care - you won't understand the terrain of your legs until you have done this four or five times.

Your knees are not the same texture as the smoother areas because they bend and have folds of skin - also every scab you had as a boy-girl (whatever you thought you were when a kid) will be there ready to snag that blade in your razor, until you know where they are. Also, ankles have the folds of skin like knees, so watch out there too. The flat area on top of your thighs (you will probably shave up high - it looks and feels too good not to) will probably have had years of suntanning, maybe some skin damage, and will require a more tender approach than the super-white areas elsewhere. So remember each area is different and requires a different pressure and direction.

(3) Direction of the razor pull. I cannot make a recommendation on that. The closest cutting stroke will be against the grain of the hair growth, but it cuts more skin with the hair. Drawing the razor with the direction of hair growth keeps us girls from developing ingrown hairs (somewhat) and reduces rashing afterward, but is not as close of a shave for many. I can only say try it both ways to see what works best for you.

(4) Please do NOT use regular soap or lotions as they clog the razor blades (I know you are using the multiple blade razors - they are so much better). Soaking you legs in a luxurious bath feels great, but can water log the skin a bit, which can cause a less close shave and perhaps a nasty nick or two. If you are a lay down in the tub and shave type girl, shave your legs early. If you shower, well, it can be more difficult to reach where you want to shave but it works well for most of us, especially if there is a shelf or ridge to support us when bending for the ankles and feet. I suggest using a regular man's or woman's shaving foam or cream. The Aloe ones for sensitive skin - or something similar - are particularly good, especially for those just beginning.

(5) You should understand that once you start the routine of shaving your legs, unless it is a once-in-a-while thing, you have to maintain it.

Stubble (yuck) begins to appear within about a half day for most of us. Our first reaction is to shave it off again, but it will only encourage rash and cuts. If you initially have any signs of rash you really need to wait a minimum of a couple of days before shaving again - at least until the rash COMPLETELY disappears.

Cuts? Well, they tend to scab over and beg you to hit them again, so the can become ugly scars. You should learn to shave around old cuts until the are COMPLETELY gone - which may take weeks - sometimes months?

But the point is, once you start and can keep your legs free of rash and cuts (well the best you can, anyway) then you SHOULD maintain the shaving routine. Every other day usually is okay, but shaving everyday is taking a risk. Usually I have to restrict shaving to no more than three times a week to keep my legs healthy and cut free. That can be hard on your en femme time schedule if you don't plan it correctly, and if you are full time, you will just have to have stubby hair legs some of the time, just like every other woman - and deal with it!

If you abandon shaving and then return to it, you will have to retrain your skin, so it is actually better to just start, accept it, and deal with the problems it causes - like a woman does everyday of her life.

(6) Please - never bear down hard, it doesn't help make the shaving closer. Use a very light, feminine touch. Closeness in shaving comes from repetition. I suggest you shave at least three times in the same session, varying the direction and length of the stroke slightly each time. This light touch, repetitive approach eliminates cuts and scrapes.

(7) There are after-shaving lotions available, if you have extra sensitive skin you might need it, but I find almost any lotion works.

After you finish shaving? use lotion. I strongly suggest that you never attempt to shave using lotion, instead of water and a good shaving cream. Many of us use a body lotion every night because we like the smoothing effect. If you didn't shave before applying lotion to your legs, please avoid the temptation to shave afterward - this will cause you to cut and scrape your legs. NEVER dry-shave - goodness gracious, no - a woman never dry shaves as it destroys the beauty of her legs.

(8) Cuts? They make you bleed and bleed - I think leg cuts are much worse that those on the face. Many a time I can remember turning the bath water red...

The tried and true method stopping bleeding - of using a tiny piece of toilet paper on the cut - usually works unless you have created a gusher. Styptic pencils can be used, but I avoid them as they seem to encourage scaring- but sometimes a styptic is the only solution, if you are in a hurry to finish dressing.

Hosiery tries to become a part of any scab if you rush first aid too fast. Even if you are staying bare legged, bloody spots on your clothes or the sheets can be hard to explain if you are still being subtle, as it will be obviously from you legs.

Sometimes your only solution to stopping bleeding is to grab a wet facecloth and apply pressure! Remember that spot or scratch the next time you use a razor, or the same thing will happen again.

(9) Oh, and putting concealer over a new cut is a terrible idea. Try putting a good clear type antibiotic cream to help prevent scarring - it usually speeds up healing.

(10) There are also scrape type cuts - they don't always show at first but they can burn like fire. It seems they are usually caused by shaving in a hurry, too close, or using a damaged or worn out razor.

I NEVER use the same razor twice, it can be expensive to do it that way but I believe it is worth it. I never use an old razor, or someone else's razor. AND to do the job right, I never shave other areas of my body first, then my legs last. Leg area is huge compared to other areas and demands its own razor.

(11) Unless you are hooked on pink, or like "cute" razors, a regular man's disposable razor works fine. They are less expensive and can be bought in bulk.

(12) If your leg hair is long, I suggest you use a trimmer first. There are electric trimmers and razor comb types. CAUTION: stay away from the water if using the electric type trimmer. Also I suggest you remember that the longer hairs are going somewhere, so it is neater to put down a towel ( I sound like my mother), a paper towel seems to work best.

Hair 1/8" or less is easier to shave, and does not clog the razor as quickly. The best way to shave is to keep that darn razor clean. Shaving cream residue needs to be washed out, which takes the debris with it. A hint - avoid wiping the blades unless absolutely necessary as it dulls them.

(13) Hummmm. a difficult recommendation here, how to be delicate? Remember women do NOT shave certain areas when shaving their legs. The main danger is the different type of bacteria on other parts of the body. If you have the inclination to "shave all over", use a separate razor - or better yet, a separate time.

You may also want to remember that all stubble itches, so shaving certain areas can lead to much misery as the hair grows back. Would it be better to just use a trimmer on some areas?

(14) BEST recommendation of all - if you can afford it, buy a depilatory "shaver. " These pull out our leg hairs using machine tweezers.

I find I can the groom less often, and have super smooth results that last much longer - about a week for me - I touch up each Saturday.

If you chose to use this hair removal method, you will have to accustom your legs to a different type of hair removal. You may want to also "touch-up" with regular shaving, afterward. Its fun, and works - at least for me!

Please - don't even think of buying a cheap type depilatory "shaver". You will need the big two blade rotor unit that retails somewhere at just under a hundred bucks. These WILL wear out relatively fast if not properly maintained. As with most everything else, you can probably find them cheaper on that certain computer auction site. There are several types of units and several brands, but my favorite is the big white one with the yellow trim.

May a smooth and well groomed set of legs accompany you on your journey!

thank you so much for all this helpful info. Im a newly open MTF and im getting slowly use to treating my body's outside like i feel on the inside.

I dont shave my upper thighs so much anymore due to regular and shorter skirts mostly covering them for the most part, and other areas dont get shaved with razors as well, as i dont mind much hair in some spots (mostly the ones panties cover) but yea, i learned the hard way not to shave arms and legs without shaving cream, however, i do find that lotion afterwards really makes you feel much softer and feminine.

Guest Melissa Lissa

For me, I like using Veet or similar products, it works effectively without missing spots or causing bumps. One thing to be careful when using it all over, avoid sensitive areas. It doesn't hurt at first in sensitive areas which causes a false sense of security, but the second time it accidentally gets on them it stings, a lot, like it feels like your skin is falling off, so be careful. If using it on the thighs, I typically wrap the sensitive areas with a bit of towel and this works for me. I typically am just really careful on the chest area and also have to be careful not to look down and get it on my neck because that's sensitive too.

One thing I've found for removing large amounts of hair, such as the first time shaving after a long period of not shaving, is to shave in the bath keeping the area under water. It's not too good for the skin since you're not using shaving cream, but it's faster than having to rinse the blade because as you shave under water the hair rinses out. The bath is a mess afterward, but easy enough to clean. This works for me because I have rather tough skin, if you have sensitive skin and you cut easily, this probably won't work for you.

Regarding epilators, they hurt, but it gets easier, but it still hurts. And do not try using it on the face if you have coarse hair, it hurts a lot, enough to mask when it starts trying to pull up your skin and you're trying to grin and bear it, leaving a nasty spot with a lack of skin, ouch, haven't run into that issue on other parts of the body yet.

Guest x-Cheza_Rayne-x

I use my Gilette Pro-Glide Power for shaving. It works great... Only problem is expensive blades that don't last very long. But I use this razor for my legs, arms and face (different heads for each).

A quick tip - Always rinse your razor after 1-2 strokes, especially if your hair is long. This is just a simple way to keep from nicking yourself.

Guest Cyndi Flowers

I usually like to do Nair and follow it up with a razor in the shower. Never tried a depilitory shaver because it sounds painful. Judging from some of the comments I may have to give it a try.

• 1 month later...
Guest DanielleG

About 8 years ago I started cycling and used that as an excuse to start shaving my legs and why I was exceptionally lean. I’ve shaved off and on over that time and have a few tips/tricks that may prove helpful.

There has been a lot of good information in this thread, and I’ll try not to be overly redundant, but here it goes.

Unlike some ladies, I’m too cheap to toss my razor after a single use. Instead, I make sure to rinse it thoroughly after use and pour rubbing alcohol over it. The alcohol disinfects the blade and causes it to dry quickly. This helps the blade last longer. Additionally, I pour alcohol over it before every use to disinfect.

Like many others, my inner thighs are prone to getting razor bumps. So, immediately following every shave, I use a clean towel and blot my legs dry. Then I rub alcohol on the inner thigh and moisturize my legs. Finally, I let my legs completely dry before I put on any clothing.

Also, because I am active and run/cycle, I also shave before a day off. I find that if I’ve shaved and then run the following day, I get additional redness. I also use chaffing cream and tight under garments that prevent my thighs from rubbing against each other while I exercise.

About once a week I also exfoliate my legs with baking soda. Its ridiculously cheap and is amazingly effective! All you need is about a palm full of baking soda. You wet your legs and gently rub it all over in a circular motion. If you've never done it, I highly recommend it!

Well, that’s all I’ve got. Thanks for reading and I hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

Who needs advice on how to shave your leg's? Not me! That was my opinion when I first read this article. I have just recently taken a strip of skin of my leg so thick and long it actually took me some time to pull the skin out of the razor, OUCH! So now I have returned to this post to learn about shaving legs LOL

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sophia.gentry58

Sorry Elizebeth for I am hooked on pink. Not only because pink razors are cute, but it does wonders for my psyche as well. :)

Sophia

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jamie_cd

I shaved my legs for the first time today. Didn't take off too much skin which is nice haha! Reading the comments in here helped a bit so thanks girls!

Guest CelesteSky

Thanks for this! c:

Last time I shaved them I ended up red and bumpy for a while and got had no clue what I was doing o.e

I'll be starting again soon owo

Guest Kaylee234

I shave my legs every 2-3 days, depending on how lazy I feel and how much regrowth there is. At first it was a real PITA, but after a while it becomes part of your routine. Stick with it and... (wait for it) it gets better! :D

~ Kay

• 2 months later...
Guest ClareJuliette

First time was blissful.

Second time was blissful, calming and meditative.

Third time is today and I look forward to it.

It gives me something more interesting to do in the bath too.

• 1 month later...
Guest BeingMe

I was about 17 the first time. I enjoyed it I suppose, I was really more pleased with the result than the act itself. More than a decade later it's just part of my routine, always looking forward to the result...I just feel so much cleaner and happy with myself. Strange how that works, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kayla86

So I was a bit of a chicken for the first time and decided to get a chemical treatment that we saw at the store today. Amazingly it works fantastic! Problem is it takes awhile if you go section by section...

I purchased Veet hair removal gel.

Lots of warnings etc etc. but me having the job I do and dealing with the chemicals I do on a daily basis, I wasn't so worried.

It is... absolutely amazing to look down and see these silky soft legs coming from my new shorts I also got today <3.

Finally the first thing I've done to myself that really makes me see the future to come!!

<3 Kayla

• Forum Moderator

Good post with some interesting replies

I've never used an ordinary razor single or multibalde - always electric. I have tried shaving but could not get on with stubble in most parts. I found that it worked well when using a trimmer on lowest setting (0.5 mm?) which was not fully shaved but I did not get any problems with ingrowing hairs etc and looked good.

Now I am using an epilator for legs, frontal torso and arms. I am getting used to it and have some problems with ingrowing hair but I think I will be able to sort and I just love the smooth skin.