• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Being Trans in the Military. Would it work?

Guest Karen K

It is sad, that with the end of DADT, the military still views transgenderism as a mental disease and thereby a dischargable offense (dishonorable I believe). And this despite the current debate of allowing women assignmet to more hazardous combat duties.

Laura Jane

Guest crissy_oakley

Karen,

If one were to come as as being Transgendered, you would be medically discharged. I find it odd that you would be medically discharged, since no medical proof is necessary. All you have to do is, say that you are transgendered and that apparently is proof enough. If it were truly a medical condition, the DoD would be required to treat you.

Guest Kelly-087

The main thing that comes to mind for me is what happens if a deployed person runs out of hormones?

MTF?

T rage maybe lol.

Cassie, I think I posted earlier on this threat with comments similar to yours. I've never served. I agree that it would logistically be too much at this time to allow transitioning members. However, do you think it would be possible within this decade to allow a transitioned person to serve?

This is of course assuming the military knows this person was born a different gender. It is possible that perhaps someone could enlist and manage to slip through the cracks. This could become a more serious question since we're now having much younger people that are of age and transition (for the most part) in their teens as opposed to in the past where it seems only adults could find the resources to make a transition.

• 4 weeks later...

The Army Times actually featured a story on this. It was on a FTM, and the author even admitted that the Army hosted a pro-masculine arena. I just thought it was interesting that even though it makes you "medically unfit," it made the news on the Army Times.

My supervisor actually took a picture of it and sent it to me(it's true!).

Guest GinaInside

I served ias a tanker in a line unit, it was in the peacetime Army, and never saw combat. I have mixed feelings over this issue. Ultimately, being TS is what got me discharged...long story.

One of he problems I see are the unique medical issues TG/TSs face. Maybe it would not cost that much in terms of dollars as we see it, but it would add a strain to the logistics system that would have to be justified in terms of personnel value. Is that cold? Probably, but the military is'nt about "being fair", the military is about fighting wars. This goes beyond legislating people's behavior and acceptance. TG/TS personnel would have to be pretty valuable to justify the added administrative, medical, and logistical expense.

If 20% of the population were TG/TS, the military would have little option but to start making accomodations, but we are more like less than 1%, and still little understood. It is not practical to make accomodations for TG/TSs, who may be less likely to be deployable to anywhere for extended periods witout special care. On a ship, it may be different, but for the rest of the military it is not practical to have people transitioning there. It is true that smaller militaries are doing it, but they are not used like the US Military.

However, it would be nice if TG/TSs were not discharged, but allowed to serve thier tours. But, then we get into the issue of people being unable to maintain self-discipline to not come out. Or, in my case, I am not very masculine, and had a difficult time making it as a "man", even more so as a Soldier, but I tried. But, try as I might, I was read pretty clearly, the results were not pleasant.

So, I am torn about this issue. Even though we may be patriotic, and want to serve our country, the military is a hard life. I don't think it's a matter of some kind of "evolution of attitudes" at this time, that can be changed by getting rid of archaic thinkers. Until civilization as a whole is ready to accept TG/TS people, the military is not likely to justify such change.

• 2 months later...
Guest Gina9223

umm... A lot of valid points here. The reality is, when Transgender service members are accepted (and that time is sooner than you think) it will start with those who are post and medically fit to return to service. Brynn Tannehill wrote an article that was in both OutServe and Huffington Post about an ND1 who tried to get back in after transition. ND's (Navy Diver) are hard to come by to start with. The response she got back from the Navy (I read the full letter, 'OMG' about sums it up at the ignorance in it) was actually quite idiotic even by goverment standards.

With SLDN/OutServe working to bring the matter to the fore, within the next year you'll see some govermental action. Probably in the form of Senate and House having hearings.

At first, those who are post-op and medically able to return to service.

Then those who have been in and want to remain in the military. They will transition INCONUS unless they have to go to a theater of operations. Only those who have had surgery and recovering will remain INCONUS. Taking HRT, even in a full blown war? I have a few freinds who have done that. One of them offically was supported by Army Medical thru a 18 month tour of duty in the warzone. (see Bilerico Project for those articles)

Poeple having surgery? I have two friends who worked as contractors and worked in the warzone before, during and after. One of those transitioned 'at work' in the warzone. Was it akward at times for her? Yes, but she went from 'him' to her while she was there. Right now, she's still there working. So that is doable.

Anything is possible unless you start out by placing barriers in your own way.

Guest sophia.gentry58

To Donna Jean's point, I'm not so sure that it is going to take a long time before it happens. To be sure, it will be a logistical nightmare to hash everything out so that it can work, at some point people will come to understand that one's preference, orientation, or acknowledement of who they really are has nothing to do with one's performance; except maybe it will only boost that constructive output.

Sophia

Guest Gina9223

Um... I still think I could make it work. I was in a NATO Battle Group and one ship had 2 Trans members. They were deployed as a team so they could watch each others backs around the ugly Americans. I know quite a few Trans active duty service members from the UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and they make it work every day.

I agree with Yoda on this, saying you cant means you won't. No try, DO!

• 3 years later...
Guest rebeccaanne07

Like stated before, but with updates!!! PLEASE MY TS sisters, join now!!! I am an active duty CSM in the Army!!! I will out myself soon, but want to protect my sisters as much as I can before then. 27 years!!! All Infantry, OMG I did not have mental problems, nor did I fail in combat!! So all your reasons!!! --Censored Word--!!!!