• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Breast forms

Guest CattalieChan

Guest CattalieChan

So, I have been thinking about what I need to do to start passing, and the idea of getting breast forms such that I will be able to wear things that show a little bit of clevage has come across my mind. This is a problem of money mostly. I have seen anywhere from 20 to 1500 as the cost of such an item. And now I wonder what should I buy, can I use silicone bra inserts (much cheaer) or do I need inserts? How do I match my skin tone enough to pass? How do I know what one to buy, and how to use it?

And are there any topics you can point me to for advice on this?

Guest avamae

What I did for the longest time instead of buying breastforms, (disclaimer, I am not saying do this, I am just informing you on what I did, )

was first I would somewhat "bind" my chest by using a piece of duct tape and pulling the pectorals together and taping them as they needed to be taped to create cleavage then I wore a regular wire bra. This worked well looked natural and got it done until my breast devloped from Estrogen.

~ava!~

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

And now I wonder what should I buy, can I use silicone bra inserts (much cheaer) or do I need inserts? How do I match my skin tone enough to pass? How do I know what one to buy, and how to use it?

What should you buy depends on how much breast tissue you have and how much you want.

Breast forms simulate an actual breast. Inserts simply add a cup size and work with your existing breast tissue to give the girls a little boost and appear larger.

The color isn't incredibly important with breast forms as long as you're wearing a full coverage bra that completely conceals them within the cup of the bra.

As far as what one to buy, it depends on your needs.

How to use it is pretty much straight forward but most websites who sell breast forms will explain how to use it and if additional products are necessary. Some forms have a regular back to it so you would need some type of adhesive tape to secure it to your body. Others have an adhesive back and there will be a description on how to use the form, remove the form, and care for the adhesive on the form. And then there are other forms that have a special suction cup-type back to it where it can stick to your skin without adhesive.

My best advice is to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the link for The Breastform Store and just start looking around. :)

Guest CattalieChan

Why do I haz no money? Oh yeah, I need to get a job. Well thanks, and I will see if I can afford anything. I just hope I can. My counsuling might be kind f paid for by the howard brown center, and I may be able to get some hormones after all. Still want boobs meanwhile though. Luckily I used to weigh 180 and now weigh 145 so have some "man" boobs.

• 1 month later...
Guest CattalieChan

Mk, please don't let this topic be ignored, oh mighty forum gods.

I've been looking, and decidedthat I'm probably going to get the transform natural look ones. My main questions are triangle or oval and how is it supposed to match my skin color? And are there any other ones I should get, what do I do with the tape, do I wear them every time, or should I not when I don't have a low cut shirt, and what bras do I need?

I've determined that I should get some, I just need some help. Also would it be better to buy in person at a store? To match color and stuff.

• Admin

I've been looking, and decidedthat I'm probably going to get the transform natural look ones. My main questions are triangle or oval and how is it supposed to match my skin color?

My experience was that triangle was better overall if I was wearing a full bra with straps, and not a strapless bra. There are only going to be two colors you can get in all but highly custom forms that will cost several thousands of dollars. The lighter color will be for European/Asian skin tones, and the darker for African/India/and other dark skins. You will not match your skin exactly and they will never be wearable as your own skin. You will place them in a bra to push your own loose flesh upward and to the center of your body for simulated cleavage.

And are there any other ones I should get, what do I do with the tape, do I wear them every time, or should I not when I don't have a low cut shirt, and what bras do I need?

I think you have unrealistic expectations of what breast forms can do. You do not need tape if you have a bra on, but the vendor of the forms will happily sell it to you. Without a bra on, then you could use a spray on adhesive and actually glue them on to yourself. I have tried that, and just barely missed having a form fall off in the middle of a dance floor, it looked really funny as it went down to my belly button. The tape trick described above can be used along with the forms, but you tape first and then put the forms on.

Low cut tops showing the top of the breast form which will only look like a chunk of silicone hanging on your chest, are not going to help you pass as a woman, they will make you readily pass as a male wearing breast forms however. Women who have had therapeutic mastectormies and wear breast forms have retired ALL of their low cut tops, and look fabulous. They are who you want to emulate. I guess you have got to learn, and the school of Hard Knocks is the only one with this subject in its course list.

For bras-- go to a bra store size chart and get one that has a band for your chest size, but the cup size will depend on the form you pick. You could get actual mastectomy bras which have pockets in the bra, and can save you from some rash development if you have tender skin. The mastectomy bra will be $50 or 60, and a Just My Size from Wal Mart or Target will be $12.

Also would it be better to buy in person at a store? To match color and stuff.

Go to the store. You can try them on with out a hassle until you find the one that looks best on you. My suggestion would be to decide on a size, buy a bra at Wal Mart, take it in, and find which size fits it. I know there are a couple of TG boutiques in the Chicago area, but at the minute I do not have their links. As I said before, the color choices are very limited without a lot of bucks and you know your basic ethnic background for that.

I know a few of my comments have not been what you were hoping for, but I am not picking on you, I want you to be safe and nice looking and understand what can and cannot happen. I CD'ed for 15 years before I accepted my being TS, so I do know what I am saying. Please listen to your "foster drag mother".

Guest carolynn2fem

Hello

Like Vicky said. the breast form store would be a good place to start. I am unexperianced in this department but have done some research. search CD shopping and look for a website in minasota or michigan a super store at the bottom of the page she has tutorial viedos on breast forms. she reccomends only buy glueable forms not that they always have to be glued. in 1 videio she demonstraits wear with a strapless full lenght dress. that alone makes the site worth looking up. i think her forms were right at 300 dollars for what she recommended

Guest CattalieChan

Well I can dream. But I understand better. I have a padded bra that seemed to work, but after the first time it felt like it was too far... over. Like it made me look much larger than I could pass. I'm going to go bra shopping and stuff with a friend sometime. And I guess I was just hoping to make up the form to fit my skin. But, alas, it appears to not be so.

Guest Krisina

Breast forms are not something you need to worry about the color matching your skin, they don't. They are hidden oiut of sight. Think more along the lines of a masectomy bra with inserts for the breast forms and how a woman who had a mastectomy would go about her life. Camisoles come to mind too, what women sometimes use to keep covered up. The price and type of forms silicone or travel swim breast forms when working on a budget will determine what you might initially choose. From our sponsor The Breast Form store you could buy travel breast forms starting at $39 to something very natural, the Gold Seal Classic $179 without any empty spots in the bra or puckering top. The classic shape not triangle. Asymmetrical are better shaped for the male torso. Triangle wouldn't look as natural. Using tape designed for the breast forms only, would probably be used for a special event or occasion, no glue. You don't want to damage your investment. Btw you can get mastectomy bras at the Breast Form Store as well as large retail stores such as Sears. Size of the breast form will determine if you stand out in a unnatural sort of way. Women come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Size B breasts are the most common in North America. I think I read that somewhere online years ago, so don't quote me on that. Sometimes less is better than too much. Some women have smaller breasts and it doesn't make them any less of a woman. Some woman have breasts which are very large, dealing with back problems etc. I have had the Gold Seal Classic breast forms for a number of years and I am very happy with them. PS the color of the bra makes a difference too, white bras show through dark tops, black bras show through light white tops. There are some bras that come in a natural color too.

Krisina

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

A tan/nude bra can be worn with any top.

Some times the color of the bra can accent the top you're wearing. Like in my avatar, it has a variety of colors on it. I can wear a pink bra under this and the color of the strap accents the pink in the top, so it looks okay.

One little warning that I've recently discovered. With adhesive forms and this unbearable summer heat, you can develop a heat rash where the forms adhere to the skin. Not wearing the forms, or putting a layer between the forms and you, and using like a Benadryl cream can help clear that up.

Guest CattalieChan

Well I am moving allong. I'm looking to get myself some masectomy bras, but they are way too much. I go one kind of sports bra that had pockets for less than a third of the price. It will fit stuf, and can look reasonable. However, it is still basically a sports bra, with no cut between the breasts. And on some shirts it shows. So I'm wondering if there are any good places to get masectomy type bras with pockets for under 10.

And what about.getting something consistant to stick in there would be nice. I'd think about gettiing the one form that is just a basic thing to insert, but my worry iis the size. I don't need it to feel too real, just look real and be the same thing and a good shape. Any experience?

Guest carolynn2fem

for bra fillers on the cheap use knee highs filled with rice. 1 cup = A, 2 cups =B, 3 cups=C and so on. tie it and put the knot where your nipple would be, they said the rice is suposed to absorb moisture. and Ya can figure what size works best for You before commiting cash on the wrong size. Hugs Carolynn

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Mastectomy bra's are nice but NOT necessary, even with silicone forms in them. My nipples stick out a little too emphatically, so I wear a thin silicone enhancer to blunt the things, and for all but the hottest days they are fine against my boob skin. A bit of talcum powder can help too.

Guest CattalieChan

Yay! My friend is helping me buy some forms. So the idea is that you use adhesive and a normal bra or none and a bra that has pockets?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CattalieChan

So I got some forms now! They are tapered ovals I believe. Just to make sure you put the shorter sides together, correct? Unfortunateley the website said nothing about swimming with them. they are just basic silocone ones. Any ideas as to how I can tell?

• Admin

The smallest part of the taper will either go up to your shoulders, or will go toward your arm pit, with the rounded part where you would have cleavage, this will depend on your supporting bra. -o o- I always put the small part of my taper toward my arm, because sweaters looked better with them that way. The large part of the oval will push your own skin toward the center of your chest and gives you the best chance at low neck display of you and not the silicone.

Most of the covering of a silicone breast form will not be hurt by regular water as far as swimming goes, but be sure to carefully rinse them in clear water if you and they go into a chlorinated swimming pool or spa or salt water. That is more for your skins sake, but do be careful of the new girls. Do not leave them in a hot dry area because the plastic skin on them can dry out and crack, and the inside sticky gooo feels icky on the skin.

Guest LizMarie

Do not leave them in a hot dry area because the plastic skin on them can dry out and crack, and the inside sticky gooo feels icky on the skin.

Do I detect a bit of real life experience here, Vicky? :D