• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Bought A Wig Online

Guest Angelgrlsue

Guest Angelgrlsue

I bought a wig online a couple of weeks ago that a friend reviewed on youtube that I liked. It had full blunt bangs, which is what I need, my natural hair is very thin on top now. I received the wig today in the mail and opened it up right away. Ripped the wrappers off and everything. Put my natural hair in a ponytail and brushed the front hair back. I then shook the wig out and put it on. Uggghhhh!!! It was not what I expected. It has a middle part that seems to be permanent with no bangs at all in the front. I even tried cutting the length of the wig to try and create some blunt bangs but to no avail. I spent $40.00 on a wig that is now in the trash. My cutting job pretty much butchered the wig, lol. I believe if I really want a wig I will need to go to a wig shop near me and try them on in person, not buy them online.

Hugs,

Susan

• Forum Moderator

I've bought 2 wigs online, and was not terribly disappointed. The first one I've bought I actually became kinda attached to it, it kind of "grew on me". It's a curly red doo by revlon and nice quality.

My natural hair is down my back, however like many others(sigh) the thin spots on top are not really good enough for my desired look.

The best wig I have was purchased at a salon however and was styled and cut for my head and face, love it. This one works with my natural hair, I happen to love the feel of natural hair on my neck and back.

Enjoy the salon Susan, it's a real nice experience to work with someone to create a look

Cindy -

• Admin

Be ready to pay in the range of $250.00 for a good synthetic wig. What I am wearing in my avatar and the one glam shot in my gallery is one of my favorite ones and it was $185 several years ago. I liked it so much I bought a second in the color and style. I did buy it on line, but from a company here in L.A. that has a brick and mortar store where they do have stylist that I went to a few weeks after buying it. Human hair is going into the $400 plus range but as Cindy said, its feel is great. I just bought a new wig in a style that is close to what I have with my own hair but in a color I want to dye my own hair. it was $275 and is an monofilament lace top that does look like the hair and part are my own. It also has a better quality of hair fiber, that is close to Human Hair.

No wig under $80 unless it is for pure cosplay or halloween wear!! My favorite wig brands are Louis Ferre, Revlon or Jon Renau, with Noriko being in there too.

Guest Angelgrlsue

Ouch!!! Vickey, that is a little too steep for me, I mean well over my budget, I will see what I can find at a cost I can afford. Maybe the salon can accept payment plans or something if I choose something in the price range you mentioned. Thank you for the advice though and thank you Cindy.

Hugs,

Susan

Guest shadowghost21

I got lucky as my hair was really only thinnist in front. So my clip in finges are a god send. Ordering a good fitting wig and trying it on for the first time is probably the best feeling ever :D

• Admin

Sorry to hear that, Susan. Yours is a valuable lesson for others on the value of getting professional help in a brick and mortar shop, and trying things on. Yes, its more difficult and scarier, yes, it can cost more, but the results are worth it.

The cost depends partly on the length and complexity of the wig. Synthetic (monofilament) wigs about the length of mine cost just $120 for really good quality. People tell me all the time how natural it looks and feels, and because I got good help with the selection, the shape and color fit my face to a T.

As in most things, you get what you pay for. Better luck next time, Susan.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Sorry I had to do that on the price, but a good synthetic wig will last you several years, so the current price over the time it will make you feel and look good, is really pretty good. Certainly, all of the salons will take credit cards and a little bit of a push on one of them for what you get. Go "shopping" for one and get its price, then the old piggy bank savings routine works pretty well, buying pretty hair one forfeited soda can at a time will take a bit, but you can get there. One good housecleaning and finding the dropped change can put you well ahead.

• Forum Moderator

Susan, I have had good luck with a company call beauty trends. They feel on line but have a catalogue. i use synthetic wigs as they are easy to care for and are relatively inexpensive. If you go to a salon and try things on check out the name model color etc. Then you can save on line. A visit to a decent beauty parlor and they will cut a bunch for you and shape them up to your head. This is recommended for women on chemo as they just look better after being worked on. You can get a good revlon for under 60$ if you shop.

Have fun in the search.

Hugs, Charlie

Guest Angelgrlsue

Thank you girls for your help and suggestions. I have not gone to the shop yet but may do so either this Friday or Saturday.

Hugs,

Susan

• 3 years later...
Guest Razilee

I got courageous a while back and sent for a Human hair wig from China. It was quite a wait, but I was not disappointed. It turned out as advertised. One does have to shop around.

:wub:Love, Raz

• 3 weeks later...

I am a cheap wig transgender. I have gone through lots of wigs. Some you will like, some you will not like. My big dislike is that they make my head hot so I end up pulling most of the hair back into a ponytail

• Forum Moderator

I am similar Ricki. I have always had relatively inexpensive wigs. When i started to really explore myself as a woman it was a way i could find a look that worked for me. As time has progressed living full time has made comfort a major factor. My hair is shorter which is certainly the case with most older women as well. I tried a ponytail and like how it looked from the front but the back was a disaster and i'm a 3D person. I'm comfy with my look now. The wigs i use get sunburnt and seem to loose any life after 4 to 6 months. I try to wear an old one around the farm and save a nice one for town, etc. I've had other women compliment my hair which is always amusing. I feel like asking them if they want it but say thanks instead. So far the most i've spent on a wig is about $60. Someday i hope to splurge and go to a good store where i can be fitted and get a really good one but for now i'm happy.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Kaylee

I have been fortunate to find a couple wigs that look great, as well as don't cost very much.

Like you, I have had an issue with thinning hair (although the finisteride and rogane have done an amazing job), so I always go for bangs. My regular wig, with a side part and swapt bangs cost a whole $28 on amazon (I have 2 of them). I am always careful to look at the top of the wig for a synthetic scalp with a part. If I can't see it in the photo, I'm not interested. Also, be cautious of cheap "real hair" wigs. Real hair or not, still look terrible.

Granted, I have spent quite a bit of time and money finding the right one for me, so have a number of wigs that just didn't suit me sitting in the closet.

An issue with cheaper wigs, the hair probably doesn't last as well, and I find I am having to trim the tips every 2 months from looking like split ende. Additionally, after about 8 months, it does not fit as snug on the top... even though my natural hair is getting thicker.

Doing this on my phone, I am having trouble loading a pick to this post, but will try to load a pic of both wigs in my photos.

If your goal is to find something that fits you for the long haul, you may want to spend a bit more. If you are looking for something to get you by... inexpensive wigs can be had... and even my electrolysist couldn't tell :D

Hugs,

Kaylee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Unfortunately, my budget is pretty tight. Fortunately, I've found an $80 wig online that I like quite a bit. It's color is almost exactly my natural hair color, making it easy to feel like it's me. Although someday I hope to buy a better one, graded on a curve, I like mine pretty good for what it is.

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 136 Guests (See full list)

• Adrianna Danielle
    • Mmindy
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • MaeBe