• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hairstyles?

Guest Itzika

I recently started questioning that little gender selection on the left (*covers it up*), and I've started trying out being more physically masculine. But that leads me to a slight dilemma...

I like having long hair.

Right now, my hair reaches about to mid-back. So, assuming I don't get it cut in the immediate future, what can I do to make it less feminine?

Guest Kelly Ann

wow...that's pretty long! Check out Willie Nelson or any "1% biker"...they have long hair, usually, kept in a braid (except 'two gun' Willie)...bad part is...it ALWAYS looks like it needs to be washed/trimmed/de-tangled and probably, deloused...yuck. Another possibility is "Rasta Dreads' but again it's a pretty grungy look... Best I can think of, go with the Willie Look...get a good headband and some sort of thingies to wrap the braided ends up with...you might look a lot like an American Indian Brave...that's still a common enough look. (-; Kelly Ann

i know a couple guys with that long of a hair. i think some guys can pull it off. but if you want to look masculine well i'm not really sure what you can do. maybe a pic could help me more visualize. i have long hair. just not as long as yours of course. its like i guess a skater type hair style. but long hair is cool for rockers. so yeah.

i know a couple guys with that long of a hair. i think some guys can pull it off. but if you want to look masculine well i'm not really sure what you can do. maybe a pic could help me more visualize. i have long hair. just not as long as yours of course. its like i guess a skater type hair style. but long hair is cool for rockers. so yeah.

That is the catch, isn't it? I want to keep my long hair but I want to be look more masculine... *le sigh* I'll see about posting a pic. I can't post a pic myself, since I have no digital camera and my phone doesn't have email... but my friend, I think, DOES have a phone with a camera and email, so I'll ask her.

Until I can get a pic up... My hair is long, brown, barely wavy, with slight evidence of long layers (that you can never see because I keep my hair behind my ears, even dressed in 'girl mode'... heh). I just got them 'cause I was tired of getting a straight cut, but they're not super-noticeable 'cause I wanted to still be able to braid my hair. You're right about that, though; I need to post a pic... or two. I'll ask my friend tomorrow.

P.S. The mods changed my gender selection for me! *is happy* That's the right one now. :)

I had a friend in college (male) who had his hair braided down the back and he sat on it! No one ever confused him for feminine even though he had a baby face - he had masculine movements and was very confident about being male so everyone just accepted it. He never wore a head band or any kind of wraps for the ends - just a rubber band at the top and one at the bottom of the braid. Hair parted in the middle - no bangs> Give it a try and see how it looks on you - remember to feel masculine, it will help.

Good luck,

Sally

Guest silverpetals
I recently started questioning that little gender selection on the left (*covers it up*), and I've started trying out being more physically masculine. But that leads me to a slight dilemma...

I like having long hair.

Right now, my hair reaches about to mid-back. So, assuming I don't get it cut in the immediate future, what can I do to make it less feminine?

with long hair, i think that the most masculine style tends to be no style.

from observation, a lot of guys just let it hang, unbrushed and slightly unkempt. so no alice bands or even ponytails, and centre parted if at all. and when parted, not folded over itself behind the ears, if that makes any sense.

hair that is clearly layered, straightened or streaked could have an opposite effect, so is probably best to avoid.

braids or dreadlocks may also look good, but might be a little high-maintenence.

i hope you can find a style that you like though; it's tricky because men's hairstyles rarely venture below the shoulder. there are even quite a few men who choose typically 'feminine' styles and manage to pull them off well, somehow...

Guest eshaver

Having been a Vanner in the day, I've had the beard, long hair and the "unwashed look . Oh yeah I once even worked some on Wilie Nelson's bus, but that's another story too. My suggestion is simply just to wear it in a long pony tail or braid it or use several hair ties . Listen the Bikers do it all the time ! Ellen Shaver

Guest Elizabeth K

Hey - guys have long hair all the time. B)

I googled on that when I was looking for a way to explain my sudden decision to let mine grow out.

(I am in MTF transition, just starting). And I was looking for advice on when to cut it (never) and how fast it grows (1/2" per month - yikes, that is two years for 12" worth!)

But I am older - I am just saying "mid-life crisis" until I out in public - HA :lol:

Guest Donna Jean
Hey - guys have long hair all the time. B)

I googled on that when I was looking for a way to explain my sudden decision to let mine grow out.

(I am in MTF transition, just starting). And I was looking for advice on when to cut it (never) and how fast it grows (1/2" per month - yikes, that is two years for 12" worth!)

But I am older - I am just saying "mid-life crisis" until I out in public - HA :lol:

Hey Liz.....

I wear my hair in a pony tail and its about 16-18" long...Havn't cut it in years...

Started wearing a ball cap with it tucked up since I had a beaded car seat cover..OOUCH!

I worked for an electrical contractor for 15 years and most of the 40 people there didn't know that I had long hair :P I guess that never occured to anyone that I never took off my hat! ;) Also, it's a pain when I ride my motorcycle as it blows around back there and turns into a REAL rat's nest..takes FOREVER to comb out...It's long enough that if I pull it around front it goes to my navel!!! :lol: I fit in real good here in redneck country (for now) :)

Next, I'm gonna get my other ear pierced... O My, the office talk!!!

Oh well, what did Bonnie Raitt say??...

Oh yeah..."Lets give 'em something to talk about!"

Gotta go brush 200 times now.....

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

:lol: Donna Jean - you ole longhair biker redneck you! I knewit - I just knewit!

:D Base ball cap - great idea. I am aiming at getting it to at least where I can pony tail - that gives me a bit of time where it will look kinda rough. But I am determined! Told my wife - told my boss that I wanted to return to my hippy days (down to my shoulders - we didn't pony tail then). Also - I didn't bald at all - hoping for the HRT to add a bit of texture, too. I guess the longer top hair is at about a fist deep - if that makes sense.

My BIG problem? I forgot I have naturally wavey, almost curley hair! It is coming in well - but I am slicking it back. Most of us have to worry about making hair look feminine - me - yikes, I look like a brunette Shirley Temple now when I get up in the morning. Will never need a wig! I know I am going to look on that as a blessing in a year or two, but it seems my hair is gonna be the first thing to start talk in the office :P

Down to your navel? I should be JEALOUS but I 'm not.