• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Removing Muscle Mass

Guest JamieJamie

Guest JamieJamie

I have a large build, correction, I have an extra large build. I wasn't always this way, I filled out in my late twenties with a sudden burst of testosterone (naturally occurring). I have the type of body many bodybuilders would die for, I can put on bulk just lifting a pencil.

Needless to say I do not want this bulk. I understand that on HRT the muscles get softer but without the right excercise they'll probably just turn to flab and look unattractive while wreaking havoc on my health. Unused muscle mass is bad for your cardiovascular system. I'm also afraid it may prevent me from even receiving HRT since a local TW was just turned down based on her BMI and my BMI is quite high mostly due to the weight of all this muscle.

So the big question is how do I remove this muscle mass? I've heard it said by a bodybuilder that it actaully needs to be excercised off, so what excercises can I do to take it off?

~jamie

Guest MsPerseveres

I'm doing loads of running, and haven't done an upper body strength workout in about a year. I notice a decrease in strength, although it's hard to tell how much muscle mass I've lost. I'm looking forward to getting on T-blockers and E to help that nasty muscle turn into feminine curves though...

Love and hugs, Tami

Guest SonadoraXVX

Hi Jamie,

In my distant past, while in the USMC, one of the ways I noticed some fellow marines lose weight and they were bodybuilders, is less calories of a good kind and more cardio, so they could get ripped. I would say diet is the major component, but diet in a semi severe way. Also exercise your lower body, since the female figure is .70 for ideal figure, or 29.5 waist/42 inch thighs(i.e.hips width) and thigh ratio/height or lets say 21 inch thighs/70 inches= .28-.30. I gleaned this information from the internet, can't locate appropriate scholary source, but it seems legit, or earily sound logic to a degree from what I have seen. I guess more research will turn up something, but its up to the person who wants that information.

Here's part of the reference,

Eye-tracking of men's preferences for waist-to-hip ratio and breast size of women

Archives of Sexual Behavior. 2011 Feb;40(1):43-50. Epub 2009 Aug 18

and the title of a popular resource

Scientific formula for the perfect hourglass figure, mentioning Dr. David Holmes from the University Manchester, UK,

curious enough, I was not able to find literature of Dr.Holmes mentioning his research, but David Buss has loads of information on it, I think I remember reading something about it in my graduate studies somewhere.

Just my 2 cents, maybe I'm wrong posting this subject here, hmmm, here goes anyway.

P.S. Oh yea, don't exercise much the upper body.

YMMV

Guest Melissa~

Cardio, and starvation in limited amounts.

The body will burn muscle and fat at the same time once it runs out of short term energy stores. Every source I've read indicates excessive starvation results in death. :poster_oops: That said restricted calories does removes fat weight, more restricted calories removes muscle. When I started my diet a couple months ago I was losing too fast so now I'm eating some more. I'm at round 1800 calorie average, as shown at 176lbs, losing around 4lbs a month now.

To maintain cardio health, my preferred exercise is biking, it also has the happy fact of not working the upper body as said by Sonadora. The fact is though to hit my goal as shown, muscle loss is required too. Frankly I may reset my goal lower than 145 lbs when I get there if my desired result is not achieved. The idea then is to actually regain weight slowly to a true long term goal of around 165 lbs. The expectation is that as one would regain weight it may be built back in a more feminine manner. I have run the plan by my primary doctor, he thinks it might work, and has no objection to trying within the parameters I have (210 ->145 ->165 lbs permanent)

Guest MsPerseveres

I'm running a half marathon on Sunday. After that, I'm going to drop back from running 6 days/week to 4 days/week, with yoga twice/week and stretching on the other day. This will keep my calorie burn up, stretch out my muscles, make me more limber/supple, and give my body some tone without bulking up. I need to continue dieting down to a somewhat lower weight - as male, and 6'1", I had a goal of 185 lbs. As a female at the same height, I am aiming for something more along the lines of 165 lbs, mostly through less muscle but more fat, so that I actually should look less thin, but still toned.

Of course, I need to conrol the eating too...

Love and hugs, Tami

Guest JamieJamie

Thanks Tami.

I'm trying to find some time where I can fit in exercise. Right now I'm a stay at home 'dad' (my boys don't know what is happening) and they keep me pretty busy. Been invited to join a local group to play squash and I'm hoping my wife will let me.

I was at 231lbs just a couple months ago but I've come down to 209lbs. My height is 5'10" but my shoulders are very wide. Right now my BMI is 30 but honestly I don't put much weight in the BMI, no pun intended. My goal to is go down to 165-170. I've had my weight down there before but I honestly think I looked gaunt. Sometimes I wish I had transitioned twenty years ago when my features were so much smaller, I would have had better luck passing. But I feel guilty wishing backwards like that since if I had transitioned then I wouldn't have my family now and I think the world of them.

Guest carolynn2fem

Wow! Thank you Carolynn.Yes, Renee had a body type very similar to my own. If she can do it, maybe I can too.

I'm glad to be able to help. its being a while since I was on her site but i did remember that :) I have the opsite problem. I cant get up to 145 with out a hundered bucks worth of quarters in my pockets

Guest JamieJamie

I'm glad to be able to help. its being a while since I was on her site but i did remember that :) I have the opsite problem. I cant get up to 145 with out a hundered bucks worth of quarters in my pockets

Maybe that's my problem, I need to get that hundred bucks of quarters out of my pockets ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Personally i think the BMI is a joke

Every time i go to my Dr, they weigh and measure me and that combined with being small boned always gives me a high BMI

They put no consideration into the fact that i have very little body fat

I'm 6' and 185 which is about ten pounds more than i weighed when i got out of High School

Considering that i'm 53 i don't think it's too bad

Thinking i'd like to get down to around 150 on HRT

We'll see how that goes

Guest JamieJamie

To reach a BMI of 25 I would have to get my weight down to 165. I'm currently at 210 lbs and have a smaller gut than most males my age, in fact I can wear a t-shirt and still look slim. I've been down to 175lbs in the past and I looked gaunt and unhealthy.

The BMI does not consider shoulder width, bone density or muscle mass, it is totally irrelative to the actual % of fat in a person's body. Someone recently told me it was created by insurance companies as a way of declining coverage or charging higher rates.

Swimming, if you can manage it, stretches muscles too, resulting in a less bulky appearance, more slender appearance. Something to consider.

google Renee Reyes. she is post op and was built like a line backer. but talks about diet and exercize that slim the upperbody.

Cardio, and starvation in limited amounts.

The body will burn muscle and fat at the same time once it runs out of short term energy stores. Every source I've read indicates excessive starvation results in death. :poster_oops: That said restricted calories does removes fat weight, more restricted calories removes muscle. When I started my diet a couple months ago I was losing too fast so now I'm eating some more. I'm at round 1800 calorie average, as shown at 176lbs, losing around 4lbs a month now.

To maintain cardio health, my preferred exercise is biking, it also has the happy fact of not working the upper body as said by Sonadora. The fact is though to hit my goal as shown, muscle loss is required too. Frankly I may reset my goal lower than 145 lbs when I get there if my desired result is not achieved. The idea then is to actually regain weight slowly to a true long term goal of around 165 lbs. The expectation is that as one would regain weight it may be built back in a more feminine manner. I have run the plan by my primary doctor, he thinks it might work, and has no objection to trying within the parameters I have (210 ->145 ->165 lbs permanent)

Yes LizMarie, Absolutely yes. And oh the swim suits! The mind therapy is wonderful too, seeing a graceful new body moving through the water and realizing it's God's gift to ME!

Carolynn, That is a great site and one that helped me realize I could take my new journey. I read every word.

Melissa, I am really interested in the results, I'm about the same size and never could get down past 187lbs. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks all. Hug. Jody

Guest Eliza_S

Hi, Tami. How old are your boys and how many? If they are really little, try a double-seater jogging stroller. For bigger ones, take a look at what I would call a "tagalong" bike. These are the ones where the kids have peddles and handlebars but they are attached to the back of your bike and the handlebars are only there for support. If they are older and good bikers, perhaps you could all bike together. Hiking gives a woman lovely, well-defined legs and is something kids often enjoy. I know you're just finishing up winter (I have family in NZ) but have you thought of trying skiing as a family sport? Skiing is expensive but you're reputed to have absolutely fantastic skiing in your country.

Guest Karen K

Jamie,

Many have already stated the ways to loose muscle mass: decrease caloric intake, aerobic exercises, skip the weight training etc. Here is a link to exercises to give you a more femanine figure:

[edited non transgender video] YouTube, search for Bombshell Body Workout

I have icorporated this into my exercise routine. Good luck to you an me.

Laura Jane