• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Questions?

Guest JoannaSydney

Guest JoannaSydney

Is the name of the kind of doctor who deals with hair lose a dematogist?or does that person need to deal with hair lose?The reason i ask is there is a person who is doctor that deals with hair lose but he is kinda far from were i am also is expensive.Im trying to find a better deal.This person was refered by my doctor.

Im about 95% sure its a dermatologist. Ask them about putting you on a DHT conversion blocker like finasteride or dutasteride... should stop your hair loss in its tracks, but growing it back is a bit more difficult unfortunately.

Guest MsPerseveres

A dermatologist is a doctor who deals with skin issues. As the hair comes out of the skin, it seems reasonable that a dermatologist might deal with hair issues. I don't know if all dermatologists would be able to deal with hair loss, or if hair loss is a sub-specialization of dermatology, or some other medical specialty.

Hugs, Tami

Guest LizMarie

I would look for a doctor who specializes in hair loss and optionally in hair restoration. Such a doctor will probably have multiple options to discuss with you, such as propecia (finasteride), dutasteride, minoxidil (applied externally to the scalp), as well as surgical techniques to restore hair via transplants from other areas of the scalp.

I have pretty severe hair loss on top and am taking propecia and using minoxidil and have begun seeing some results after 5 months. My hope is that HRT, by fully blocking testosterone plus sending different chemical signals to the hair follicles in the scalp, will encourage further growth. The top center of my head has the best chance of growing back decently and if I can get that done, I will follow up with hair transplants for areas that still need it.

The Norwood Classification System allows you to understand how severe your hair loss is. I started as somewhere between a V and a VI, but am already beginning to see progress back towards the V level. If I can reach Norwood class IV, I'll be pretty happy as the remaining areas can be transplanted to get me a decent look at that point.

In addition to transplants, hair restoration surgeons may recommend scalp reductions, basically cutting away sections of totally bald scalp and stretching the remaining scalp over the skull. I suspect my vertex will be a combination of scalp reduction and transplantation.

In my own case, I plan to wear wigs but if I can get sufficient regrowth coupled with transplants to make it work, I'll do that. I do plan to give the hair regrowth drugs and HRT combined at least two years to work. If they are making progress at that point, I'll continue to wait until I see little or no further progress and that's when I will seek out a hair restoration surgeon.

I hope the above is useful to you. I've had to do extensive research on this as I planned my transition as I am affected greatly.

I keep hoping that "hair cloning" (it's really "tissue engineering") makes a breakthrough soon. Transplantation of hairs is just moving them around. Being able to grow new ones would be much better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 117 Guests (See full list)

• Cyndee
    • Ivy
    • Ashley0616
    • April Marie
    • Birdie
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • MaeBe
    • Timi
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Caohmán
    Newest Member
    Caohmán

1. Alik222
      Alik222
      (24 years old)
    2. AvaWill
      AvaWill
      (37 years old)
    3. Drewies
      Drewies
      (50 years old)
    4. JackJerryJohnTheTreeWorker
      JackJerryJohnTheTreeWorker
      (28 years old)
    5. jgram22
      jgram22
      (37 years old)
    • April Marie
      Awesome news about your wife @Willow!!!   And, I hope everything goes well at work. There is certainly generational difference in how we look at employment requirements and what we expect/demand.
    • Birdie
      That's awesome news! 
    • Willow
      Good morning    I got to sleep in today, and I have a short day. Noon to 4:30.  I get to ease back into my work week. Looks like we have an abundance of senior staff today.  The top three have a 2 hour cross over together, Mgr, Asst and me.  I wonder what’s up.  I also see the asst isn’t getting her usual schedule at anytime this week, in fact, I have her schedule Thursday and Friday and she has mine.  I’m sure something is going on.     I do know that the Mgr would not mind if the Asst quit but she has no grounds to terminate her.  And then there is Richard.  He has the most years at the store, but he is very inflexible when it comes to his schedule he wants 32 hours no more and no less, 6:30 to 2 when he works nothing else and every Wednesday off.  So right now he’s getting 16 hours a week because that’s what works for our schedule.  No one is getting all the hours they would like, I’d love 9 to 5 MTWTF.  But that will never happen and I knew that when I started.  At least I don’t have to work 5pm to 0030 close.  I hate that shift.   I decided that I would not pursue the Jeep.  Yes I’d like to have one again but not right now.  Maybe someday.  Right now I have too much on my plate.  And maybe more coming at me.   Sorry for boring you with my work things today but that’s about all I’ve got.   Except, wife update! We went to Costco yesterday and she walked with the aid of her roller walker but she walked Costco!  Back is looking really good.  The deep wound is really coming back together  nicely.  Today she said she maybe over did it yesterday but that’s exercise for you the following day you are always a bit achy or tired but that’s a good thing!   Thanks for listening (reading)   hugs   Willow        
    • Birdie
    • Davie
      Thanks for explaining this, @VickySGVI would hate for this issue to be over. As long as there are trans folks alive it's never going to be over. We are, therefore we are.
    • Davie
    • Mmindy
      Good morning everyone,    @Birdie I love that shirt, it looks great on you.    I’m sitting on the back deck swing enjoying the birds and waiting for the dew to lift off the grass, so I can mow the lawn. We’re expecting four days of rain. The morning coffee is almost gone, so it won’t be long before the yard work begins.    Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋    
    • MaeBe
      I'm glad you've found an avenue of care and that is less glacial than the NHS! Let the countdown begin!
    • MaeBe
      I didn't know they required judges to be medical doctors as well!
    • Ivy
    • Ivy
      I don't understand how if it's wrong to block care for 2 people, it's still okay to block it for everyone else.   But of course I'm not a lawyer/s   "He said minors diagnosed with gender dysphoria "deserve love, support, and medical care rooted in biological reality.""    The thing is, they don't believe we actually exist.
    • Birdie
      Good morning,   Put on my favourite new Rock band Tee from Torrid and some shorts.  I am just about ready to go spend my day at the stuffy day-centre after I get done soaking my feet. 
    • Breanne_O
      4 months doesn’t seem such a long time now compared to the times I was previously looking at! 🙂   Many thanks to @Karen Careyfor pointing me towards GenderCare, they have been nothing but helpful and professional, and I wouldn’t be where I am now without them.  
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      It's never my intention to hurt.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.