• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Where do you get your clothes from?

Guest Sandra

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlize

• Jani

• Teri Anne

• Michelle38

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rosabella

I'm getting less uncomfortable going into my neighborhood Walmart and buying female clothing in guy mode. Today I bought a cami, a bra, and nail polish. I don't think anyone cares. But I do have some discomfort if others I know saw me picking out things from the female sections of Walmart. Normally I travel a number of miles to a store where I am not liable to see people I know. Today, I just dealt with it and did it anyway at the home store. I know my size so I don't have to try it on. I can return it for another size if it is the wrong fit.

Guest kimberly c

Hi Ladies, I love to shop at Kohl`s for panties, bras, nice tops like Apt 9 and Elle and for girls jeans, for shoes Payless and now I dicovered

DressBarn.

Love Kim

Guest Roberta-Belinda

My favourite store to shop in the u.k. is Dororthy Perkins, as well as fab clothes they have a nice selection of tights. Its such a pity that I dont get the chance to shop for female clothes as much as I used to. A couple of years ago I went into one of my local branches of Dorothy Perkins three weeks running and got served by the same girl, think she suspected but I didnt mind. Its one of those things that enchanced the shopping experience. I did make one faux pas and bought a pair of black footless tights in error, I cant stand footles tights. Sadly, I purged everything I bought there.

Guest CassieX

I'll second Lane Bryant For the Win <FTW> :thumbsup: Back in summer, I went to my local one and the sales staff were extremely helpful. One of them took my measurements and helped make sure that I had the right top and bottom sizes to try on. That really helped later when I decided to order from their website over thankgiving. I ended up picking up my order in store and getting a freebie with my order after I said I was picking up the order for me. Now I know that my camis size is a size bigger from my blouse size. B)

My second favourite is Kohls but apart from jeans, intimates and sleepwear I don't find much in my size in store. They have some great tops though that I see instore and buy my size online.

Does anyone know of a good belt store? The choice in 1x and 2x seems to be very limited in most stores I shop.

Guest ~Phoebe~

Does anyone know of a good belt store? The choice in 1x and 2x seems to be very limited in most stores I shop.

Kind of far away in distance but there is a Kiosk on first level in the Mall Of America, Bloomington, Minnesota with all kinds and sizes of belts. MOA is near MSP airport if you ever get up to Minnesota.
Guest Robin Winter

ebay! If you don't have or don't want to use a credit card, get a visa gift card and use that :) Most of the sellers prefer you use paypal, and I think you can transfer the balance of a visa gift card to a paypal account.

Guest CassieX

Hmm, I did'nt actually think about using ebay. That whole ebay thing skipped me by and I love to shop online, lol! I used to wear guy belts till they fell apart but back then I did'nt have much of an interest one way or the other about nice outfits. I'll need to have a look also in the malls locally for those koisks! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend you find yourself a woman to go shopping with Sandra, when I go shopping for woman's clothes I go with a lady. We have the whole routine down pat so well that the shop assistants think i'm the bored male being dragged along shopping LOL. If you get a pesty overly persistent shop assistant who won't leave you alone just look her or him directly in the eye and tell them you are just happy browsing and you don't need any help if you haven't got the testicles (no pun intended) like myself to take Carolynn2fem's advive which is also a good option if you are up for it.

A simple solution to getting clothing discreetly mailed to you is to get a PO box. If you are not sure what size you are in lady's clothes though I highly recommend buying cheap clothes first until you get an idea of what size fits you best regarding online purchases.

Guest crissy_oakley

Once when I was shopping (I wan't in fem on this occasion), I stuck up a conversation with the woman behind in line. She was a bit over curious about my purchase and was asking questions that I was neither prepared nor wanted to answer. I had mentioned that being a single parent of a now 22 year-old college student, I was forced to learn about women's clothes, at a young age. I followed up with, There are clothes that she likes and there are clothes, that I will let her wear in public. It just so happens that the clothes that I let her wear in public and the clothes that I wear in public, look exactly the same.

It just so happens that the clothes that I let her wear in public and the clothes that I wear in public, look exactly the same.

Just priceless, I may steal that line some day.

Huggs,

Joann

Guest Eve Caillard

Hmm I thought I'd pitched in on this topic but can't see I have. In the UK, I am a great E-bay buyer. I have my sizes all pre-measured so I know exactly what will fit. I've bought loads and loads of clothes, underwear and footwear off E-bay all at wonderful prices. I could count on one hand where I have had a poor fit or a result I did not like. In my experience most of the sellers are accurate in their descriptions and measurements, it is just that some clothes makers are not so generous in their cuts as others. I've stocked virtually all my wardrobe from E-bay with not one bad experience.

The other place I go to is La Redoute on line. They did some wonderful camisoles that I ended up buying a job lot as I suspected they were going off the stock. La Redoute have lots of good stuff and are easy to deal with.

Hope this helps!

Eve

Guest AlyTheGreatAngel

Hmmm Well I shop at a lot of store my favorite's are a few ma & pa owned vintage stores in my town, Macy's, Charlotte Russe, H&M, Goodwill, and Thrift stores(The ones in my town only). I've been living as a female for about 4 years so i'm not afraid of shopping I love it! Although, I do recall a time when a 13 year old Aly had a serious anxiety disorder and could not stand being around a lot of people; This caused for me to hate shopping malls. I used to feel like everyone was looking at me so I would 'pretend' to only be the child that was dragged by mother to go shopping lol. I would just be like "I like the blue one mom!" (Quietly of course! xD) and she would pick it up and buy it for me. Thats how it was in the beginning BEFORE I had any female clothes or any confidence for that matter. lol

The stores I mentioned are probably the only ones I shop at...I don't do much online shopping except for Amazon.com. As for thrift stores...I LOVE Thrift stores!!!! BUT I must say the quality of what you find depends on WHERE its located and what Demographics surround the city/community in where it is located. I live in a pretty good town so the small thrift stores have tons of things that I've seen at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Ave. Goodwill I love but its more mainstream so a lot more people go to those..still a favorite though! So make sure to look at thrift store in nice areas!! (:

Guest *Charlotte P*

Made it to the VS outlet store this weekend, being so close to Christmas, the deals didn't seem as good as usual and the selection was decent but not as big as the last couple of trips there. Still it's nice to leave there with a bag full of new goodies..

Guest Penelope

I'm beginning to reach the stage where I will look for something I like on the internet and then go to the relevant shop to see it. I have generally found that shop assistants are friendly and helpful when asked.

In London at least, the days of the formidable dragons guarding lingerie departments have long gone.

Penny

In the past I have bought a few things from GoodWill and some from walmart and some from Target. Apparently I was bolder when I was younger because about a month ago I wen t to walmart to pick a few things up and I lost my nerve. I decided to shop online for the time being and I have found some great items on Amazon and for a bigger selection or more specific items I use ebay.

Much respect for those that go shopping in male mode!

• Forum Moderator

Welcome to Laura's Rhiana. I have found it much easier to shop now that i'm full time. It just feels right. I do promise that i won't point and laugh at any guy i see shopping in the ladies dept. I've been there and know how hard it is. It was even hard if i was trying to buy clothes for my wife.

Please read the terms and conditions found at the bottom of any page. You might find it good to post in the introduction area. More folks stop in there and you get known a little quicker. Enjoy your time here. Laura's has changed my life for the better.

Hugs,

Charlie

This morning I tried to give shopping at walmart another try. I picked out a nice girly birthday card and proceeded to feel right at home in the woman's section for almost an hour! The cashier didn't seem to buy the birthday ploy as she put the card in a seperate bag from the clothes and I promptly forgot to take the card along with the clothes. A little nervous at the cash register but I think I will be shopping at the local Kmart without a card soon!

Guest ~Phoebe~

This morning I tried to give shopping at walmart another try. I picked out a nice girly birthday card and proceeded to feel right at home in the woman's section for almost an hour! The cashier didn't seem to buy the birthday ploy as she put the card in a seperate bag from the clothes and I promptly forgot to take the card along with the clothes. A little nervous at the cash register but I think I will be shopping at the local Kmart without a card soon!

Sales associates, cashiers don't really care if your purchasing women's clothes or women's lingerie. They make a commission on sales. :thumbsup:

Janet

Sales associates, cashiers don't really care if your purchasing women's clothes or women's lingerie. They make a commission on sales. :thumbsup:

Janet

Rhiana, JanetCD is absolutely right.

The store staff does not care if you literally use the items to wipe the oil off a dipstick. They have made their "commission".

On another note. Cards purchased at Wally World are usually placed into a separate smaller bag. I can only think that this is store "policy".

Sorry that should've been Wall Mart.

Happy shopping. Remember shopping is FUN and a sport.

Huggs,

Joann

• 3 years later...

I've become a huge fan of buying shoes, clothes, make up, wigs and jewelry on Amazon. It's almost too convenient and the sizing charts are pretty spot on. Also, upon the purchaser provided reviews they give you a "fit as expected" percent. Due to this wonderful information everything I've purchased has fit better than I could have dreamed.

Happy shopping