• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Where do you get your clothes from?

Guest Sandra

• Forum Moderator

I've mentioned this before, try Goodwill.  I find name brand styles at great prices.  Often there are new items with tags still on them.  I have also found a number of wonderful purses too.  You can buy a discount card for $10 that gives you a 10% discount for a year plus a few other benefits.  

Jani

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlize

• Jani

• Teri Anne

• Michelle38

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have found I like Victoria Secret’s cloths line and Newport News. Occasionally Target has something cute but they are low quality.

I also buy some clothes from charity shops, I've bought some tops and dresses from charity shops before and they're usually pretty good quality.

• Forum Moderator

I have bought from Charity shops before, but these days here in the Uk the clothing is pretty expensive at times in high street charity shops. I have seen clothes from budget brands that are more expensive in the charity shops than they were originally sold for as new. Sales in original stores are ideal, and be prepared to haggle if the item is not perfect. A loose thread is easily repaired!

Tracy

• 1 month later...

When I finally had enough of ill fitting clothes I got up the nerve to shop in male mode.  No one pays attention if you shop with confidence.  The one bad experience I had was at Walmart, I was looking thru the bras and they broadcast over the speakers that the "cameras were rolling".  I could only assume they thought I was shoplifting.  And when I went to check out, none of the bras would scan so they had to send someone to check the prices.  They kept me at the checkout for a long time.  I was dying inside, but I had the courage to discuss how they were embarrassing me.  I think I was successful guilting them.

Now everyone should know the best part of shopping at popular stores is that you can return anything that doesn't fit. When I had this revelation I started buying a lot and would try them on in the privacy of my own home, and return the rejects.  My wardrobe improved dramatically in fit and style!  Returning things is actually less embarrassing than the shopping.

So with my great wardrobe what do I do?  Go shopping of course!  Well I shop, but rarely buy when in girl mode.  I am not entirely comfortable face to face with the sales clerks, especially if I have to speak knowing my voice gives me away. Thank goodness for the self checkout lines.   

Now what does everybody think of using the dressing rooms in the women's department or taking women's clothes into the mens dressing rooms?

When I shop I use the ladies dressing rooms. Since I shop in womens clothes, I have no problem using the ladies dressing rooms; the ladies restrooms are a different matter. I'm working on that ?

• Admin

The highest level stores are the only ones that freak me out, not the treatment I get these days but the styles they expect me to wear, and THE PRICES.  My two favorite stores are Lane Bryant and Dress Barn for my every day clothing, although Wal Mart and Target due for the plain cotton underwear and flannel pajamas that I like.  None of my fears about Fitting Rooms or restrooms have ever materialized, and I feel so darn lucky that has been the case. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2012 at 7:00 AM, Guest kira66662 said:

when i first started shopping for wemon clothing i was extremely nerves, but as time went on i realized i really didn't care what they thought, if you afraid heres a trick, text your self a shopping list, look at your phone here and there they will think you shopping for someone eles if you like to try it

I've done that too

On 11/26/2012 at 3:03 AM, Guest Rosabella said:

I'm getting less uncomfortable going into my neighborhood Walmart and buying female clothing in guy mode. Today I bought a cami, a bra, and nail polish. I don't think anyone cares. But I do have some discomfort if others I know saw me picking out things from the female sections of Walmart. Normally I travel a number of miles to a store where I am not liable to see people I know. Today, I just dealt with it and did it anyway at the home store. I know my size so I don't have to try it on. I can return it for another size if it is the wrong fit.

Most decent store assistants wont ask who it's for, as it's none of their business.  They are just only too pleased too help you.   I had one ask me once and i replied sure it's for me.  I said wirh a curious but confident look, why are you asking me....!?

I'm currently doing a lot of shopping online. Poshmark is fun and affordable. And I also LOVE Uniqlo for affordable well made basics that still have some style. 

• Forum Moderator

Lately, I've been doing more online shopping.  I'm buying more ladies clothing now because I'm slowly attempting to rebuild my ladies wardrobe. My retailer of choice is currently Zulilly.  Their prices are very good and they have great selections too.  There are ways to obtain free shipping on orders if you know how they work (msg me if you use them & want that info).  If you don't get free shipping it's about $5-6US per shipment on average. As long as you know your sizes and you don mind 2 week waiting times from order to home delivery, it's great.

Susan R?

Omg posh mark is awesome! A girl down the street turned me on to them by showing me some designer shoes at Payless prices. And Payless has the nerve to put up a commercial where they pretend that they can actually fool rich people lol! Anyway zulilly is good too. I’m surprised at some of the quality on Zappos too lately. My bookmarks are overflowing with clothes and shoes. For makeup check out shopmissa. Makeup is cheap but very good quality. And their brush selection is wow!

• Forum Moderator
Just now, Josietg said:

My bookmarks are overflowing with clothes and shoes

Lol, this is so true Josie. I need a day just to get mine organized into separate folders...it's getting ridiculous.

Susan R?

I’m still very much not out, so always in male mode when shopping. I have had lots of success asking employees for help buying my wife some clothes. I have an idea of what I want in advance and I think that helps.  I also shop at thrift stores, though not for intimates, and have lots of success.  I have been adding lots of stuff to my Zulily basket but haven’t yet made a purchase, but their deals look amazing. Not fully out to my wife so worried about the delivery. 

Where I’ve struggled is shoes, now thanks to some wonderful people on another thread, I have several options I will be trying. 

Happy shopping! 

*hugs*

• 8 months later...

Any good size charts or reviews on brands and trends on say does there size 7 run large or small or better for people who run tall . 

Huh. I am reading everyone responds and it occur to me that most of me cloths and shoes (90%) were either gift to me from past lover, Friends who have adult girls that moved out of there house or Girl Friend that know I am trans. I am petite with a ladies size 8 shoe...The only thing I really shop for is pants and bras....usually go to target . Forever, HM their cheap Not a big V.S girl super price and they quality is spotty.. But Ross is  also cool..I used to go Good Will until I found out that it's not a charity but a family run bus that dose not treat their employs well because they hide under the no profit tag..their creeps and they support Trump...Oh thanks for the head up Shopmissa and Zulliy def check then out.

just realize that my answer to this question..sound arrogance not my attention...Just amazing on how far I gone...from all male wardrobe to all female in less then 3yr, on 8months of HRT, and I am a full time woman even though I still sound like a man and sometimes look like one...But I am living a dream...wow 

• Forum Moderator

Most of my female wardrobe came from Ebay. Some from Wally world, Target and Kmart. I have been wearing panties for decades. In the last 10 years started with other garments. Now most of my wardrobe is feminine. Except for my works shirts, which I hope will be able to get the female shirts soon. I do have common t-shirts which I believe to be androgynous. 

Kymmie

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2012 at 11:24 PM, Guest Sandra said:

... Anyhow, I'm wondering how you ladies manage to acquire all your clothing so perhaps I can do the same, but I'd like to be very discreet about it.

This is the best time of the year to browse through the female side of Wally World, and buy frilly things with lots of straps. "My wife/gf/mistress told me she wants a new _____ for Christmas." If it doesn't fit, "surprize her" by exchanging yourself after Christmas for a better size. Realistically, they're too busy to care about anything except getting off ... er, work that is, not the other.

• 1 month later...

Mine is mostly only like Amazon or fashion nova. I bought a lot of clothes from Wish. It hasnt come yet but hopefully they all fit :)

I have purchased from several online crossdresser sites. They often have a complete set of  clothing, wigs, makeup, corsets and shoes which make it easier to shop. One I've had some success with is En Femme. They will also ship to you in unmarked packages. But there are other sites that are good. ❤️

• 3 months later...

I'm in the UK so stores may be different here.

Physical shops are rare for me. If it's near Christmas or Valentine's I'll buy underwear in the supermarket - Asda or a Tesco - on the assumption that if anyone sees me they'll assume it's for a girlfriend/partner/wife as a present. I'll still do the sell-checkout though to avoid questions...

Online, through trial and error, I've found Select is good. Decent prices and fairly regular for sizing. They're cheap enough that I've worked out what size I need for tops, bottoms and dresses without needing to try things on in a physical shop.

• 2 weeks later...

From friends when they clean out their wardrobe,second hand stores and certain transgender,crossdresser friendly places.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:04 PM, TheMatthew said:

They're cheap enough that I've worked out what size I need for tops, bottoms and dresses without needing to try things on in a physical shop

There are some stores here whose fitting rooms are unattended (you can bring as many things to try on as you wish, and no one is there to check).  Prior to the virus shutdown, I made great use of these to find out what fit and learn how sizing varies by manufacturer, etc.  Looking forward to the day when that's possible again!

Astrid