• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Surgical Item Not Often Thought About! Dental!

VickySGV

• Admin

I ran into a TG friend tonite when I went out for dinner. She is full time and frankly looks great, except for one thing --- HER TEETH!! She has not taken care of them. She is a recovering alcholic and recovering smoker with with broken teeth and stains that may almost be permanent. She intends to get FFS in the future and was telling me about the money she has saved for it. I frankly told her to use the money for a good checkup and treatment program by a dentist who can fix the broken and stained teeth, its something that will take her (she's 35)from good looking to OUT OF THIS WORLD.

She was concerned about her lower jaw being to big, but its an illusion since she can't open her mouth and smile nicely. She had never given the dental work a thought before I hit her up on it. I gave her the phone number for my dentist and I really hope she takes it up. Some of her work will be cosmetic dentistry, other parts of it will be serious tooth reconstruction but it will do more good for her image than the $15K worth of jawbone grinding she was thinking about.

Don't overlook your mouth and teeth when you are looking for FFS improvements. If you are MtF, women smile with open mouths more often. If FtM, it will improve you mouth shape too not to mention overall health.

Guest Megan_Lynn

when i was in the service instead of fixing a tooth they would just pull it. Got to the point that I had almost no molars left when I was done with my tour of service. I was born with very weak enamel and cavities were impossible to avoid. A few years back I when to a dentistry to look into getting partials to have my molars back. But they steered me into getting all my lower weak brittle teeth pulled witch I did. they when that was all healed up they pulled all my front uppers as well. The big problem to this was not that fact that I no longer had teeth ( no more pains yay) but that I got scammed. Paid $4500 up front for a full set of dentures and all the tooth pulling. Problem came when I went back to get fitting for permanent dentures after waiting the heal time they recommended ( 6-12 months time). Called to make an appointment and they said they would call me back in a day of so as the main person that took appointments was out. Called back 2 days later after no hearing back from them. Well all 55 locations across they country went out of business over night. Now I have no dentures and lost 4500 dollars..Many of you have read me saying how ugly I am well the main reason I say this is because I can not smile anymore with no teeth...and am not in a position to shell out another 2 grad for a pair I should already have had..

Ive thought about this too, I would love to have porcelain veneers put on my front 4 teeth on the top. I have small teeth and a gap between my front teeth that even 5 years of braces didnt fix. Not to mention years of soft drinks and smoking have made all my teeth yellow. I am only 24 and my teeth look terrible... veneers and whitening would be awesome but it is so expensive!! All of my savings are currently going into my FFS fund, dental unfortunately is at the bottom of the list. My order of priority for body modification is as follows, FFS, body sculpting (liposuction around my waist), Breast Augmentation, SRS, and then dental. The body sculpting and breast implants will be relatively inexpensive compared to the rest, but FFS is going to set me back years and so will SRS. It might be a very very long time before I have to money to take care of my teeth (whitening I could probably do, but not the veneers). Anyway, healthy teeth do make a big difference.

Also Megan, I am sorry to hear about your misfortune... . Have you contacted a lawyer? Just because they are out of business doesn't mean you cant sue them.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Megan. My local Denturist that I like has been at it forever. He charges $450.00 per plate. The Dental Collage here charges just over $500,00 a plate. I think the price is low because they have to compete with the Dentists just south of the border in Mexico. If you can't find a Dental Collage closer to home, you have to factor the cost of a short vacation in Arizona.

I have no idea what a "Red Eye" flight costs, Check Southwest and Allegiant Air. Three Motel6's are close by and many mom and pop motels too. They are bus, light rail, cab or shuttle distance away from Sky Harbor or Gateway airports. I think you could make out on a tight budget, if you skip the frills and rental car.

If you need some contacts or help, please PM me so we can get you smiling. Hug. Jody

Guest Karen K

This is great advice. I have really been concerned about taking care of my teeth as three years ago, I had been diagnosed with the beginings of gum disease.My gums were receding and I had some bone loss below the gumline. And I brush twice a day and floss at night. So, I have had several deep cleanings and some surgery to fix some gum damage.

I added to my dental hygene and make sure I do a good job. I had whitened my teeth several years ago and now I maintain using a whitening tooth paste.

Take care of your teeth ladies. It'll keep your smile beautiful!

Laura Jane

Oh boy I have a similar problem, my teeth never straightened out and I have some pretty lousy teeth genes. At some point I probably need to go get 10 cavities filled. If I could afford it I'd just start replacing my teeth with fakes and not worry about it. No matter how much I brush they don't stay in good shape.

I think that your smile is often overlooked. But I see almost every other cis girl around town with a brilliant smile and I know it's pretty high on my priority list. And Insurance pays for your teeth :)

Guest BrenGirl

Good advice regardless of if you're trying to pass or not. Clean teeth will go a long way.

The bug thing I need is to stop grinding down my teeth. A slightly tilted jaw has my front teeth taking all the impact of my bite and wearing down. At some point my dentist is recommending oral surgery to reset my jaw to a better position.

when i was in the service instead of fixing a tooth they would just pull it. Got to the point that I had almost no molars left when I was done with my tour of service. I was born with very weak enamel and cavities were impossible to avoid. A few years back I when to a dentistry to look into getting partials to have my molars back. But they steered me into getting all my lower weak brittle teeth pulled witch I did. they when that was all healed up they pulled all my front uppers as well. The big problem to this was not that fact that I no longer had teeth ( no more pains yay) but that I got scammed. Paid $4500 up front for a full set of dentures and all the tooth pulling. Problem came when I went back to get fitting for permanent dentures after waiting the heal time they recommended ( 6-12 months time). Called to make an appointment and they said they would call me back in a day of so as the main person that took appointments was out. Called back 2 days later after no hearing back from them. Well all 55 locations across they country went out of business over night. Now I have no dentures and lost 4500 dollars..Many of you have read me saying how ugly I am well the main reason I say this is because I can not smile anymore with no teeth...and am not in a position to shell out another 2 grad for a pair I should already have had..

sounds like soemthing the attorney general office or soemthing should handle. they got the money, it doesnt matter they went out of business...even in a complete bankrucpy i dont think it matters..hmm

another note, you might be able to get the teeth done and paid for by some chairty or program...

at the very least a dental school would make the teeth and bill you, youd be on a payment plan for ever, but the payment would be manageable. some dentists do payment plans too. i'd suggest you look into it, even medicaid handles teeth things...

sure sounds like the ripped you off, even before, when they pulled the earlier teeth. jeez.

Good advice regardless of if you're trying to pass or not. Clean teeth will go a long way.

The bug thing I need is to stop grinding down my teeth. A slightly tilted jaw has my front teeth taking all the impact of my bite and wearing down. At some point my dentist is recommending oral surgery to reset my jaw to a better position.

well some people wear a plastic rubbery thing at night, for i they grind at night then it wont hurt the teeth

Oh boy I have a similar problem, my teeth never straightened out and I have some pretty lousy teeth genes. At some point I probably need to go get 10 cavities filled. If I could afford it I'd just start replacing my teeth with fakes and not worry about it. No matter how much I brush they don't stay in good shape.

I think that your smile is often overlooked. But I see almost every other cis girl around town with a brilliant smile and I know it's pretty high on my priority list. And Insurance pays for your teeth :)

probably calcium and D and some other things would help at least as much as the brushing.. its usually caused by nutrition problems or medications, as much as anything else.

oh youre in Pennsylvania too.

yep, mediaic covers that, so does the Pitt dental school, UPMC in Oakland..they have other locations for UPMC dental as well, but i dont know the lst.

Hate the thought of braces again, had them for 6 years

When i was in the service my wisdom teeth came in, talk about agony

They jammed all my teeth together so now they're crooked again

Take care of them as best as i can, just not so pleasing to look at

Guest BrenGirl

well some people wear a plastic rubbery thing at night, for i they grind at night then it wont hurt the teeth

I do wear a mouth guard when I sleep. The problem is when I eat and chew.

I think its worth mentioning that if you have cavitys you should get them fixed as soon as you can (even if you have to delay some facial surgeries or such) since the longer you wait the more damage there will be and the cost will rise significantly, i recently spent over 5000$ on fixing my teeth, had i gone a year or two sooner i propably would not have spent more then a 1000$.

Guest MsPerseveres

I consider the first part of my FFS to be the filling in of the gap between my two front upper teeth. I had it done about a month ago, and it makes a huge difference - I now smile with my lips open all the time, and I smile a lot more. No braces required, they use filling compound to create edges to the teeth, and it looks totally natural. It cost $400, but insurance will cover all of it for me. I agree that you need to take care of your teeth - if you have a supermodel face, but nasty teeth, you're going to be so self-conscious that it won't matter that you look amazing... with your lips closed. And good teeth are important to your health.

Love and hugs, Tami

I consider the first part of my FFS to be the filling in of the gap between my two front upper teeth. I had it done about a month ago, and it makes a huge difference - I now smile with my lips open all the time, and I smile a lot more. No braces required, they use filling compound to create edges to the teeth, and it looks totally natural. It cost $400, but insurance will cover all of it for me. I agree that you need to take care of your teeth - if you have a supermodel face, but nasty teeth, you're going to be so self-conscious that it won't matter that you look amazing... with your lips closed. And good teeth are important to your health.

Love and hugs, Tami

hmm I didnt know that was an option... I though veneers were the only way to do it but those are EXPENSIVE, $400 is much more affordable. Gives me something to think about, thanks :)

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

I'm going to bump this one up just to get it in circulation again and maybe ask if it can be pinned -- The subject matter came up again though from a non-member of this site who knows me IRL. They were going for FFS and their prospective surgeon flat out told them to get their dental work done first or he could not in anyway guarantee a good result and foresaw some infection possibilities if an abscess developed in relation to the surgery they wanted.

• 2 years later...
Guest Grandmotherbear

Not TG here just a spouse. You can buy "whitening kits" on line that are mostly peroxide gel and an ultraviolet applicator. You must be careful with the UV as it can contribute to skin cancers and/or cataracts if you expose skin or eyes to it. Also oral infections can cause problems elsewhere in the body- can seed heart/kidney infections or reduce your healing ability. You MAY possibly be able to put together a kit using an UV wand disinfector and toothgel of baking powder and peroxide, but remain aware of needing to take safety precautions.

Certain drugs can increase the possibility of having an excessively dry mouth which can lead to increased risk of oral infections/tooth/gum problems. Antihistamines, diuretics, anthypertensives, antidepressants- anything that has dry mouth or dry eyes as a possible side effect. There are specialty products (I'm not a shareholder) made by BioTene that increase saliva flow- oral gels, toothpastes, rinses, gum that has salivary enzymes in it. Even an oral patch you can stick on the roof of your mouth. Or you can suck on hard candies constantly- old survivalist trick to suck on a pebble when water supplies are few and far between.

Gladsomeone here brought up dental issues. It's true that most attractive women (cis-women or not) have good oral hygiene- even if toothless, having a nice set of dentures, healthy gums and sweet breath are all part of being attractive.

• Forum Moderator

I agree GMBear.  Teeth are as if not more important than so many aspects of being attractive,  I went through the process of using Invisiligns. Getting my teeth in line changed the shape of my face and i received many compliments.  Between that and the other dental work i can actually smile now and look nice.  Daily flossing and brushing also keeps my gums healthy as they had never been and my breath is fresh instead of dragon like.  Time, effort and money well spent.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

When young, my parents couldn't afford to send me to an orthodontist, so I had to wait until I was 22 to start, and I paid cash.  But it was one of the best investments I ever made, and improved my self confidence immensely.

I've used the whitening treatment by dentist sold me, and you can get the same in any store.  They work pretty well, but it isn't permanent.  You'll have to do it again every couple of years.  It's not cheap, but we spend a lot more on makeup, and your teeth are just as important, if not more so.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I've always been a little leery of the treatments using a gel or paste that you leave in your mouth for a while.  A year ago I started using a Crest toothpaste with a whitener to counter the stains from the little bit of coffee I still drink and it seems to work well enough with no ill effects to my gums.

Jani

• 2 years later...

OMG!!!

I start full teeth clean, repair and/or replace via dentures/bridges,crowns and implants.

First appt in 8 hours

[ i´m supposed to sleep right??? RIGHT!!!!]

2 hours for cleaning and crown prep tomorrow. Then a crown Friday

O.M.G.!!!

• 3 months later...