• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shaving knuckles

Guest SusanB

Realized how hairy my knuckles were yesterday

Decided to shave them when i got a shower

Thought i cut my legs a lot but my fingers are even worse

Glad i do better with my face or it could get real ugly

Anybody have any tips for me ?

I'd sure appreciate it

Guest angels wings

Ahhh yes nasty shower cuts hurt . Normally what is good is using shaving gel . Don't let the water run over it or you will have a rough shave again . Hope that helps a little .

Angel :)

Guest MsGsptlsnz

I use conditioner on areas I am about to shave. I think it helps a bit. Haven't tried it on arm and hand hair, the wife put down the rule that I can't shave limbs.

• Root Admin

Sounds like you are using a wet razor, Ouch!

If possible go for an electric razor/hair clippers.

Working in computer repairs, I do seem to have to shave my hands quite regularly otherwise I can look like a chimp using a keyboard from my shirt cuffs outwards. I also use the hair clipper attachment to shave my arms at times as otherwise I cannot always tell if my arms are dirty or it's just hair, when having a shower.

And before you say it, Eeu!

• Forum Moderator

I use an electric rechargeable shaver that i can use in the shower to control the mounds of hair in the floor. Eeu. yuck. Its not quite that bad but the electric works fine. Its that with an occasional use of the epilator which is like waxing but can be suffered in small amounts.

Hairy knuckles are a turn off for sure.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Melissa~

I just use disposables, the modern fusion heads on whatever handle is available. Knuckles and toes are always shaved. With a modest amount of shaving cream, soap or conditoiner it's always worked. I have had two significant nicks in a couple years, a toe (wasn't fusion razor, I was borrowing the wifes in the shower that time, opps.) The other was the skin outside the Tibial tendon above the ankle. Both hurt like hell and took a while to heal.

Guest ~Brenda~

Hi hon,

I simply use disposable razors. I used to use double blad razors, but now I have fallen in love with triple blade razors. I use plenty of hot water an Ivory soap when I shave. I shave everything and have been doing so for ages. If you're cutting yourself, you are probable using a single blade razor and/or pressing too hard with your razor. Double or triple blad razors minimize the risk of cutting. Also, you want to make soft, long, and deliberate strokes with your razor. Over time, you will find that it gets easier and faster to shave with excellent results. Before you know it, your body will slow down in growing hair. I used to have to shave my legs, arms, etcetera everyday. Now, I can go a week before I need to shave :)

Love.

Brenda

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ~Emmie~

Aveeno Shaving Gel seems to work best for me- although Barbasol is ok, it smells *very* masculine. Aveeno is gentle, moisterizes, and has almost ZERO scent to it (save maybe for a faint hint of oatmeal, considering that's a major ingredient. I have very small fingers and hands, although my hair is quite dark.I haven't personally shaved my fingers, arms, or hands yet, but I did my armpits a while ago- used my Gillete trimmer to thin out the hair, and then a disposable three-blade razor to finish. 3-4 blades is absolutely necessary!

I agree with Brenda- go slow, especially around finger joints and knuckles.