• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Joy Lodin: How the Torah Speaks to Transgender Jews

Carolyn Marie

Interesting article.

Times change and so do the rules of societies.

Deuteronomy was the Greek translation of the earlier exodus, but it has a different set of commandments, (the details for its ten commandments, etc). because they wanted the Greeks to like it.

Nobody follows anything in Leviticus anymore, --as it was all about the Letive priests and the various required animal sacrifices and rituals of various kinds that nobody carries on with anymore...

Over time even God Himself changes his mind and changes rules about things, as well as regarding mankind.

and all that can be found in any of the bible books pretty much, -especially Genesis.

Even the most respected educated schollars who studied any of these things, they differ in opinions with others about specific interpreations of things too. So who is right or wrong? Well, cant you just throw some sense into it?

Do you think God wants us to learn to get along and love one another and be kind to each other, or not?

Thats pretty simple. Don't need a Phd or masters in anything to figure that part out.

I could get into alot of details with this subject but i'd just as soon leave it.... For someone in this day and age to use anything in the Torah (first five books of the Bible) as a weapon of words to use against someone else is really messed up.

When you follow all the rules and things in there let me know.

But if you dont follow all those rules, yet use phrases to condemn another human being then you may as well stone yourself.

and yes the bible doesnt mention monogamy or anything else.

Not only did Jacob marry sisters, (as this article said) but they were his uncles daughters.

His parents were MAD at his brother for marrying outside of their clan (family)! So his mom sent him to his uncle Laban so he would marry one of Laban's daughters.

AND the men had concubines and wives and other women they messed around with and had children with also.

If a man's brother died and he had no children, then other brother is obliged to marry his brother's widow, and give her children, so that his dead brother would have ancestors! Trying to put the people of the Torah into a Family tree program is immpossible!

It wasnt adultery if a man did it, but only if a woman did it. A lot of rules and laws about how to treat your wives and children and slaves. we dont treat our wives and kids like mere property anymore, and we dont have slaves. We dont eat insects and some other things they say we SHOULD eat, and we eat things we were forbidden to eat.

So-called religious people confuse "sins" with things that were merely "unclean" things, but they're different things.

When people start religions or kingdoms, they want their people to be fruitful and multiply, for obvious reasons. to perpetuate the group, and enrich the leaders.

A lot of interesting things to read in there, if you take off the blinders sometime.

oop gotta go its later than i thought..

• 5 months later...
Guest Nicole9

Thanks for posting very interesting read,

my own personal interpretation of the Torahs view on the transgender issue (men cant wear skirts and women cant wear pants) is that each gender has their own roles in society and should not be mixed. (dont agree with it but thats just how i read it). But sigh as much as i love a good dress you aint going to get me out of my jean's some days :)

(((hugs)))

Nicole

(joys of Jewish grandparents and what you learn)