• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Minoxidil - Three Months, Zero Results

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I guess I'll have to wait for something else to come along, because I used the 5% solution as directed for three months, and neither me nor my wife can see any improvement at all. :( I don't think transplants are an option either, as there is just too much to cover.

I had hoped to be able to swim again someday, but it will have to wait until another chemical or genetic method is found. Anyway, me and my wig(s) have become good friends. :) I am glad for that, as we will likely be spending the rest of our lives together.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Sentience

Transplants are an option. On Feb 2013 I will be 2 years post op transplant. If I were a "man" it would not have been so good but as I always planned to bring the crown forward and sweep back it's ok. I also put fake tan on the thin bit. Most crucially however I told the surgeon that I was transsexual so he angled the roots for that very purpose. (You have to be bold sister). He also feminised my hairline......I love him.

• Admin

What percentage of hair did you have at the time, if I may ask, and what did it cost you?

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Carolyn, may I PM you with a bit of information on that topic? Jody

Sure.

Carolyn

• Forum Moderator

Carolyn, if you find a great solution please let me know. I have gone the route of shaving my head which makes wigs work better. The two sided tapes may even work for careful swimming with a bathing cap. I haven't tried it yet. It's just one of those acceptance things and i read that in your lifelong friendship.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest LizMarie

Carolyn, minoxidil can take 6-12 months to begin to work. So can Propecia (finasteride).

There is also a new hair treatment being done by a few hair restoration surgeons using the Matristem ACell product to cause stem cells to generate new follicles entirely.

Sentience, do you have before and after pics of the top of your head? You sound like me. And may I ask which doctor you used? Choosing a hair restoration surgeon is an act of choosing an artist so it pays to be picky.

Guest Sentience

^^ I had my surgery done in England because the company didn't do it in Scotland. I can't remember his name but I supect you would not be interested as England is a hell of a lot further away from the USA than I had to travel from Scotland. He was Indian/Pakistani and during the surgery he said, "We will have a princess when I am finished." I will post pictures sometime soon when I look just a bit better and know how to do it

Guest LizMarie

Where would you put yourself on the Norwood scale before the transplants? I'm currently between a 5 and a 6 but as the Propecia and Minoxidil is producing results for me, I may get back to a 5 before I think about transplants. I'm also looking at that New Hair Restoration Therapy using ACell. Everything I can do to improve the density and coverage on top increases the odds of success when I do eventually consider transplants.

• Admin

Hmmm, 6-12 months is a long time to wait for the small chance that something might happen up there, especially given the twice a day application required. A small sign of progress would have been nice. IDK, I'll consider it, or one or two of the other suggestions I've received. It seems to me, that if any one method (besides surgery) truly worked on most people, everyone would use it and baldness would be a thing of the past. The fact that there are so many bald guys still around tells me that most methods don't.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

God only could make a few perfect heads, he put hair on all the rest of them.

Guest Paradox

If I remember my research correctly, when the 5% minoxidil study was done there was about an 85% with some improvement. Between Estrogen, spironolactone, Propecia, and minoxidil 2%, I have quite noticeably improved the quantity and quality of my hair over the last 6 months. It is slow and expensive, but a bargain compared to hair transplant.

Vanna, by reading the article, that it works to restore fullness to aged thin hair too? Hormones allowed my hair to return, but no where near my youth.

The thought of having my young hair back, makes Jody's vanity meter needle pop around like a VU meter needle on a drum solo!

Wow, thanks Carolyn for the thread and Vanna for the new info. Hug. Jody

Heart pounding, can't reply, Vanna! I'm fibbing, but it is hard to text my girl friends and stroke this keyboard at the same time. Giggle.

I'm exited to give it a try, after my dip in the road has past. Hug ya! Jody

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 139 Guests (See full list)

• Mmindy
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • phys
    • Charlize
    • KymmieL