• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolyn Marie

Minoxidil - Three Months, Zero Results

Carolyn Marie

I guess I'll have to wait for something else to come along, because I used the 5% solution as directed for three months, and neither me nor my wife can see any improvement at all. :( I don't think transplants are an option either, as there is just too much to cover.

I had hoped to be able to swim again someday, but it will have to wait until another chemical or genetic method is found. Anyway, me and my wig(s) have become good friends. :) I am glad for that, as we will likely be spending the rest of our lives together.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Sentience

Transplants are an option. On Feb 2013 I will be 2 years post op transplant. If I were a "man" it would not have been so good but as I always planned to bring the crown forward and sweep back it's ok. I also put fake tan on the thin bit. Most crucially however I told the surgeon that I was transsexual so he angled the roots for that very purpose. (You have to be bold sister). He also feminised my hairline......I love him.

Carolyn Marie

What percentage of hair did you have at the time, if I may ask, and what did it cost you?

Carolyn Marie

Carolyn, may I PM you with a bit of information on that topic? Jody

Guest Sentience

Question 1/. I was a monk.

Question 2/. $10,000..........................yikes!!

Carolyn Marie

Carolyn, may I PM you with a bit of information on that topic? Jody

Sure.

Carolyn

Charlize

Carolyn, if you find a great solution please let me know. I have gone the route of shaving my head which makes wigs work better. The two sided tapes may even work for careful swimming with a bathing cap. I haven't tried it yet. It's just one of those acceptance things and i read that in your lifelong friendship.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest LizMarie

Carolyn, minoxidil can take 6-12 months to begin to work. So can Propecia (finasteride).

There is also a new hair treatment being done by a few hair restoration surgeons using the Matristem ACell product to cause stem cells to generate new follicles entirely.

Sentience, do you have before and after pics of the top of your head? You sound like me. And may I ask which doctor you used? Choosing a hair restoration surgeon is an act of choosing an artist so it pays to be picky.

Guest Sentience

^^ I had my surgery done in England because the company didn't do it in Scotland. I can't remember his name but I supect you would not be interested as England is a hell of a lot further away from the USA than I had to travel from Scotland. He was Indian/Pakistani and during the surgery he said, "We will have a princess when I am finished." I will post pictures sometime soon when I look just a bit better and know how to do it

Guest LizMarie

Where would you put yourself on the Norwood scale before the transplants? I'm currently between a 5 and a 6 but as the Propecia and Minoxidil is producing results for me, I may get back to a 5 before I think about transplants. I'm also looking at that New Hair Restoration Therapy using ACell. Everything I can do to improve the density and coverage on top increases the odds of success when I do eventually consider transplants.

Carolyn Marie

Hmmm, 6-12 months is a long time to wait for the small chance that something might happen up there, especially given the twice a day application required. A small sign of progress would have been nice. IDK, I'll consider it, or one or two of the other suggestions I've received. It seems to me, that if any one method (besides surgery) truly worked on most people, everyone would use it and baldness would be a thing of the past. The fact that there are so many bald guys still around tells me that most methods don't.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

VickySGV

God only could make a few perfect heads, he put hair on all the rest of them.

Guest Paradox

If I remember my research correctly, when the 5% minoxidil study was done there was about an 85% with some improvement. Between Estrogen, spironolactone, Propecia, and minoxidil 2%, I have quite noticeably improved the quantity and quality of my hair over the last 6 months. It is slow and expensive, but a bargain compared to hair transplant.

Guest miss kindheart

Minoxidil alone isn't very good especally on frontal hair

I tried Spectrial DNC and it works quite well

http://www.divineskin.com/spectralDNC/default.asp

Any way don't give up, do lots of research and then talk it over with your dermitologist :)

:wub: vanna

Carolyn Marie

Thanks, Vanna! That looks encouraging.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Vanna, by reading the article, that it works to restore fullness to aged thin hair too? Hormones allowed my hair to return, but no where near my youth.

The thought of having my young hair back, makes Jody's vanity meter needle pop around like a VU meter needle on a drum solo!

Wow, thanks Carolyn for the thread and Vanna for the new info. Hug. Jody

Guest miss kindheart

you are welcome <<< hug >>>

I am happy with it , but i just had the slight thinning going on

hrt along with it gives great results

:wub: vanna

Heart pounding, can't reply, Vanna! I'm fibbing, but it is hard to text my girl friends and stroke this keyboard at the same time. Giggle.

I'm exited to give it a try, after my dip in the road has past. Hug ya! Jody

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 67 Guests (See full list)

• jowilla
    • SaraAW
    • Niamh
    • Kylie
    • Shay
    • myt10
    • Astrid
    • Susan R
    • MaryMary
    • KymmieL
    • Ms Maddie
    • MaryEllen
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

myt10
    Newest Member
    myt10

1. Eden
      Eden
      (65 years old)
    • Susan R
      @SaraAW Congratulations on this required next step for your name change. It’s going to feel so good when it finally becomes official.😊 I know it must be difficult not getting the backing of your wife. However, It may help her see in a few weeks or a month that you’re still the same person you’ve always been. Life will continue and your love for her will not waiver due to this legal name change.   Susan R🌷 
    • myt10
      [Note: I'll be using he/him pronouns as he hasn't changed his pronouns yet.]   He started talking about the possibility of being nb or trans about a year ago, but it wasn't until recently that I found out he was doing a really deep dive into talking to other trans people and reading about dysphoria and the like. He took a small step to alleviate dysphoria about a week ago, collapsed into tears in front of me, and spent the next few days in a mixed state of anxiety and euphoria as he took tiny little steps just within our household to feel more feminine, even if he isn't out to anyone but me and his two best friends.   Initially I was relieved on his behalf and desperate to support him in any way possible, and... I still want to do that. He talks about the feeling of being in the closet as wearing a "man suit" and that that feeling's increased as he's taken more steps to alleviate dysphoria, and I don't want him to feel like he has to live in that man suit for the rest of his life if it makes him hate his body and himself. I'm bi/pansexual, so the prospect of being married to a woman doesn't bother me. But I'm here on this forum because as he takes more and more steps away from a masc presentation and towards a femme one, I feel like I'm losing touch with the person I married, and I feel terrible saying that. Is he becoming someone new? I know he isn't, but that doesn't change that the energy coming off of him is different now. The more he changes, the more uncertain I get, the more scared I get. I don't know if I'm ready for this, and I really have no say. I can't force him into the closet just because I'm irrationally worried that he's going to change so much, not even talking about visibly, that he becomes unrecognizable. I know he'll be the same person underneath the femme, but -- will he be? Do I know that? This is so hard to admit, and I feel awful, but I don't know where else to turn. I don't want to hurt him by voicing this to him, he's going through enough. I love him. I'm just scared.   I know I can get through this. I know I can be there for him. I just need someone to validate these feelings. I can't bear feeling like he's chosen this over continuing our relationship as comfortably as, at least, I thought it was, and it was to me, because that is absolutely unfair and irrational and I know that.   I'm crying as I write this because I'm hating myself for being so selfish. I know it's wrong. I'm sorry, I hope this doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. I just needed to be honest somewhere.
    • MaryEllen
      OMG  That is so awesome. Thank you. ❤️
    • Shay
      wise words - do what you can to nurture relationship but remember there is only one person you have any power to change - you can only plant good seeds.  
    • KymmieL
      Jani you are right. it would be good for me that I would be able to be with my wife more. As she works days and when I am working closings and weekend we have no time for us. Maybe I'll talk to the manager and see just what pay cut I will have.   Kymmie
    • Shay
      @MaryEllen You asked me to send Safe Haven song - here it is.. Hugs, Heather Shay safe haven.mp3
    • Mia Marie
      When applying for new jobs there is a place where you are asked if you have been known by another name. That would be the place to start using your new name but as Jackie says be upfront about yourself and ask if it would be a problem. You also have to tell them that at some point you will be using the new name as your regular name and then the HR records need to be changed.    For me all of this is a bit harder since I didn't come to terms of being trans until after I started.
    • Alexxiss
      Agreed Teri. I’m sorry to hear your experiences with radical feminists, both of you. As someone who underwent conversion therapy from my Christian family, I have to say that was the most oppressed I’ve ever been. Yes back to the point. Personality has a lot to do with passing. You can be beautiful and young but if you are unlikeable it’s unlikely someone will respect your pronouns.
    • Luhleleri
      thank you, this really helps!
    • SaraAW
      One step closer to officially changing my name.  Finally got my wife to sign off on the Notice of Name Change Request form that is a requirement for folks in Ontario to do when married and wish to change their legal name. It was a struggle to get her to sign it. She's still in denial and grieving over the loss of her husband. She was hoping by not signing, she could delay things more.  After explaining several times, I don't need her permission, I am allowed to send the via registered mail and provide that as proof that I notified her, without needing her to sign it, she finally signed it. Saved me the cost of sending it registered mail, but at the cost of some more strain on our marriage.   Now I just need a guarantor to sign off that I have lived in province for at least a year. Hoping my doc will do it without charging me too much. After that $137 and some postage and it should be done. Then changing over everything else in my name. Getting really tired of being referred to my birth name, really looking forward to hearing my name.   Still healing from my sinus/nasal surgery. It's progressing slowly, but noticing major improvement from pre-surgery. Lots of thunderstorms and not a single migraine, let alone even a regular headache.   Hope everyone has a wonderful day today! Hugs!
    • Pixie
      We find that (we're kinda new to tucking since we're DID and not "trans" per se- but several of us ARE girls in a boy body- like me, this is why I'm here) a smaller swimsuit bottom helps a lot. Spandex is a bit "thicker" and more resistant to "loosening" than panties are (any undies, tight when first put on get "looser" as they get worn and warmed and stretched in our experience). A slightly too small (but not dangerously or too uncomfortably) 2pc bottom or like Cheerleaders' bloomers as panties or over panties help TONS to keep things in place and DON'T loosen or "let go" like panties can/will after a while. They are designed, of course, to REMAIN TIGHT for hours on end to preserve modesty.
    • Teri Anne
      Shay if you are from Cleveland do you remember a band called Rocket From The Tombs?  They were part of the original punk bands that came out of Cleveland in the mid 70s.  
    • Shay
      @SaraAW   good choices - I especially love Weezer, They Might Be Giants and DEVo (Devo was right - our country is de-evolving)
    • Shay
      oh I forgot - WMMS played the live version - and Murray Saul would rant for a while and end with " you gotta gotta gotta gotta gotttttttttttttaaaaaaaaa get down....(expletive).....      
    • SaraAW
      Nerd/Geek rock on deck for today. Starting with Weezer. There'll also be some They Might be Giants, Nerf Herder, Moxy Fruvous, Man or Astroman?,  The Protomen, Cake, DEVO and more.
  • Upcoming Events