• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Makeup sugestions

Guest Aimee Galloway

Guest Aimee Galloway

Hey everyone, Well, im new to makeup and the such, and im a bit overwhelmed by all of it.

im very light skinned, so what should i be looking for in facial cosmetics (like a bit of base to cover up blemishes, right color of lipstick, and what i should be looking for in mascara)

Guest angels wings

Hello Aimee ,there is a lot of info on the beauty forum . Also you tube is awesome for learning how to apply or what to use . Hope that helps :) I'm sure many of our wonderful ladies will add their beauty tips .

Angel :)

Guest fantastictoo

Aimee,

Do you have a Macys or another department store near you? Their advice and experience is second to none! I went to a Macys and talked to the Clinique people and they were so helpful!

They can help you match your skin tone for the best foundation, plus teach you proper skin care. It is spendy.

The other thing you can do is go to Walmart and just try different colors of foundation by dabbing a little bit on your hand...it's almost a match for your face.

Mascara? Use one that is waterproof so you don't get runny streaks when you get it wet. The higher end mascaras work best imho. After that, go to Walmart and look around the l'oreal section for eye shadow that matches your eye color. You want to make your eyes pop! For techniques on how to apply makeup, you can find a ton of information on youtube.

Hope this helps you!

Hugs!

Melissa

• Forum Moderator

You tube has great videos by all the manufacturers. To some extent you just have to play until you find "your look". It takes some time but is fun to work on.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Karen K

Aimee,

I got bold, when I was first starting out, and went to the local Merril Norman. The ladies there, one older and one still in college, wheren't taken aback or stunned. They made suggestions and tried the various shades on me. They were completely wonderful and I have been back many times.

Laura Jane

I have lighter skin too and i find that maybelline FIT#245 works great to cover the shadow and really covers blemishes well. Use a good lotion on your face and let dry for a bit,apply a few dots on each side of your face and BLEND BLEND BLEND..You do not need much as it will look aweful when it sets. Then after about 10 minutes(the time it takes to curl and apply eyeliner) get a good powder to help the foundation set and get rid of any shine. Not a lot and tap don't rub.I use Maybelline shine free loose powder in medium #2. this combo works great for me,your skin may differ.If you really have rough skin you can use concealer and that does wonders to cover up sun spots and other issues.

As far as Mascara,if you buy cheap that's what you get. But if your just learning you may want to use a cheaper brand till you get a hang of how to apply it,some of these products are expensive. you don't want a Mascara that is going to clump up or run off once your body heat gets it warm.The cheaper ones tend to clump up easily,and don't last long.Oh and make sure you get plenty of makeup remover..

Guest Aimee Galloway

thank you so much, youtube wasnt amazingly helpful, me and my partner searched around, but i didnt know you could sample makeup at walmart (i just found out today they have a Transgender policy i had to invoke after being told i couldnt try on womens cloths in the mens section....but after a bit of complaining, and the right attitude, i had a manager on the employee who denied me use, and even found out Trans can use the womens changing room as well....i mean its just individual rooms, nothing different but the sides) and tehe, i guess ill check out their selection when i go up there next hehe.

Guest Kylie2112

I've noticed that the cheap drug store/supermarket brands work really well, especially when you're first starting out (I've only worn more than foundation/lip stain a few times, so I'm still a n00b!). I bought a powder shadow/blush kit from Amazon for about $25, and I use Maybelline Fit Me! foundation (tone #230...what I have on in my avatar pic) and Revlon Lip Stain (Just Bitten...very subtle pink tone). I mostly wear makeup to cover up mustache shadow, and the foundation works great for that :) I don't worry about blushes at all, so no advice from me there :)

The big thing is to make sure you get the right shades or you'll look like Snooki or Casper.

Guest Aimee Galloway

the biggest thing that i want tide is the mustache shadow and facial blemishes, and a few scars i received in my early days as trans. My mom is more than willing to share her makeup, so ill try it out, but like i was told on here, she repeated that i shoudnt try till i have some makeup remover.

• Admin

Over the next two months, almost all of the major store chains are going to have "gifts to go" packs of most types and even brands of cosmetics pretty cheap and since they are holiday gifts, no one will look who buys them, since its always a "gift for someone eles". They don't have much of any one cosmetic in the set, but when you only need it on weekends, it will last quite a while (not saying YOU only do it on the weekends) and you will not feel bad about getting rid of stuff you KNOW you will never use. It took me over 5 years to finally get my look to be reasonable. (I could not bring myself to pitch out the black liquid eyeliner, but thank gawd I did) A few times recently when I have gone to some TG clubs I have been nailed for not wearing any make-up these days!!! Then I get mistaken for a lesbian or other GG. Sigh!!!

Guest Aimee Galloway

Over the next two months, almost all of the major store chains are going to have "gifts to go" packs of most types and even brands of cosmetics pretty cheap and since they are holiday gifts, no one will look who buys them, since its always a "gift for someone eles". They don't have much of any one cosmetic in the set, but when you only need it on weekends, it will last quite a while (not saying YOU only do it on the weekends) and you will not feel bad about getting rid of stuff you KNOW you will never use. It took me over 5 years to finally get my look to be reasonable. (I could not bring myself to pitch out the black liquid eyeliner, but thank gawd I did) A few times recently when I have gone to some TG clubs I have been nailed for not wearing any make-up these days!!! Then I get mistaken for a lesbian or other GG. Sigh!!!

haha, i hear you. and yea, the Walmarts around here have gift packs, concealed by wrapping paper with a little tag that says "assorted gifts-Makeup", very plain, very discreet, and i may buy a few since they are fairly cheap, im new, and its only $5 for a box, so no harm no fowl on practice

Guest Kylie2112

Thanks for the tip, Vicky :) I'm wicked conservative with what I wear for makeup (scared I might wind up looking like a drag queen or a clown or something :) ), and too stingy to buy something without trying it first :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AlanaMarie

I went to Macy's cosmetics department today based on a friend's recommendation that I try Mac cosmetics. The girl there was just wonderful. She was busy with another customer when I arrived but came right over to me to see how she could help. I told her my interests and she promised to be with me in a few minutes. As other customers arrived, the girl asked them to come back as I was next to be served. Once she got back to me, she was very professional and asked me a few questions about the kind of makeup I wear and what I was looking for. Like Kylie, I don't wear much makeup but I do like to look nice. We tried some powder foundations and a couple of blushes. Again, the service was just wonderful. Once I decided on what I liked, she made sure I looked very nice before I got out of the chair. After buying a foundation and a blush, we discussed other products and she prepared for me a liquid foundation sample to take as a gift.

If you want to find someone who will take time with you in the cosmetics department, try a large department store. I am very pleased with Macy's professional service. And it was a good start for my Christmas shopping as well. I spent the rest of the day shopping at the mall.

:) Alana