• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Detransitioning

Guest apostate79

Guest apostate79

I found this on youtube, this girl apparently feels that people who de-transition are not truly transsexual, and are merely cross-dressers who are somehow getting off on posing as transgendered. Personally, I disagree with this on multiple levels, but I am curious to hear other people's opinions.

I disagree with that video on many levels. She doesn't know the definitions between transgender and transsexual. I know others who de-transitioned, and it had nothing to do with not feeling there were the opposite gender, and more to do with societal pressures, like family or church.

Jenny

Guest JeepGirl90

Transitioning in general is not easy by any means, and some people just are unable to transition for whatever reason, maybe financial, medical, society, or religious issues and/or pressure, so ther are alot of reasons why someone would de-transition, so saying they are not truely transsexual I fully dissagree with

~Biohazed

Guest apostate79

She goes into some annoying off-topic rambling for a few minutes, but wait until the 9:00 mark, when she gets back on topic and says her final message to "all you guys thinking of de-transitioning". I'd like to send her a PM complimenting her on that mark on her chin, and ask if she cut herself shaving.

Edited by MaryEllen
Crude term about the OP removed
Guest JeepGirl90

oops .. I admin a facebook page and accidently signed the wrong name ..******** is my handle I use on that page ... sorry lol

~Christina

Edited by MaryEllen
Username removed per rule 27 of the site Terms and Conditions
Guest (Lightsider)

I detransitioned because of church, social, elite attitude and girlfriend pressure over 10 years ago. I ended up transitioning fully about 7 years later to who I am now and always have been in my heart. That is her opinion. Too bad it is just that...an opinion. People need to be comfortable in their own skin and quite frankly her video is off base big time. And I will say it...that elite attitude is part of why I detransitioned... Some people would even say that because she has a kid that she is not a real transsexual! Really? Does this community really need this sort of attitude? I think not.

Sorry...this struck a sore spot. grrrr.

Guest KimberlyF

One of the problems is in years gone by we had a perfectly good word to define transsexuals. It was transsexuals. But some people had an issue with it so now we have transgender with numerous definitions, and still have transsexual.

Of the top two definitions floating around for TG, one deals with gender ID differing with birth sex. Hmmm. Does that sound like a CD? The other big definition is the umbrella term. Of course who's under the umbrella is subject to change too.

But yeah, TG means TS. Other than when it doesn't and TS is a subgroup of TG.

And this is the confusion from inside the circus :)

Guest KimberlyF

I ran out of time posting yesterday and forgot to come back. As is usually the case I'd think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't agree with her attitude, and it is of no value to spend time and effort labeling other people. I don't think people are 'just' anything. I don't see TSs as greater than CDs. But I do see a difference. I don't think there is a single reason why people detransition. It's a personal choice and people should be supported who make it.

Some who do it are CD. The process is not designed to last a weekend. It's designed to make things at least a bit uncomfortable so you have to push yourself. I'm sure some decide the sacrifice is too great, others decide now is not the time and come back at a later day, and others do decide they do not need to transition. I couldn't begin to guess percentages for any of these reasons, but I doubt any is a super majority.

Guest (Lightsider)

I ran out of time posting yesterday and forgot to come back. As is usually the case I'd think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't agree with her attitude, and it is of no value to spend time and effort labeling other people. I don't think people are 'just' anything. I don't see TSs as greater than CDs. But I do see a difference. I don't think there is a single reason why people detransition. It's a personal choice and people should be supported who make it.

Some who do it are CD. The process is not designed to last a weekend. It's designed to make things at least a bit uncomfortable so you have to push yourself. I'm sure some decide the sacrifice is too great, others decide now is not the time and come back at a later day, and others do decide they do not need to transition. I couldn't begin to guess percentages for any of these reasons, but I doubt any is a super majority.

Often times when some one makes remarks or makes a video like you see above it...it is an effort to squish others in order to elevate the persons status who is doing the squishing. "Look at me...I am better than you...because.... XYZ." This community really does not need divisive attitudes like this. It is elitist and really out there. There is a time and a place for all things...including when to transition and when not too...or even to detransition.

Guest (Lightsider)

I am a crossdresser, not merely a crossdresser.

I am proud to be a crossdresser.

Crossdressing works very well for me.

Brenda

And that is the way it should be. It is not up to any one else to label you...except for you. :thumbsup: