• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What book are you currently reading?

Guest Claire-G

Guest Claire-G

Currently I'm reading The Eragon series written by Christopher Paolini.

Nice fantasy book about heroes and dragons.

I'm a succer for books where the underdog wins.

Well I hope he will busy on second book.

What are you reading atm?

I'm allways on the lookout for new books and writers so tips are very welcome.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyndee

• Charlize

• Carolyn Marie

• Jani

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator

I'm reading Lakebridge Spring by Natasha Troop,

I've had a good laugh so far with it and about half through it, it gets dark however, really warped. It is very interesting reading this book after she (author) posted so much here as a moderator at Laura's. I find her writing very interesting, and part of her life was written about here, that gives a unique background into this story.

Cynthia -

Guest otter-girl

Hearts in Atlantis - Steven King.

Im not a Steven King fan as generally I find his books over drawn out but I loved the movie, which of course is influencing how I see the book.

Rachel

Guest Holly S

Finding Moonshine: A Mathematician's Journey Through Symmetry

by Marcus Du Sautoy

I'm guessing I'll be the only person to enjoy reading Maths here :P

Still, it's not particularly heavy, and if you're interested in finding out why Maths is fun, a good book to read.

Christopher Paolini's second, third and fourth books in the Inheritance cycle are already out.

Hugs,

Holly

Guest Robin Winter

Nothing currently, much to my horror. If I had them though, I'd either be reading books 2 and 3 of the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman, or books 2 and 3 of the Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix. I've read the first book in both Trilogies repeatedly, but I've never managed to find the rest of them without ordering online, and shipping costs for books are ridiculous :angry:

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series was rather excellent in my opinion. I recently read the first three books in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series and it was fairly funny in a nerdy way. Some other books I would recommend:

(pardon me if I get titles or authors wrong, I rarely remember either)

House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (I think that is the correct title and author, it has been years since I've read it)

Supernaturalist, Wishlist, Artemis Fowl series, and several others by Eoin Colfer

Incarceron

The Belgariad series (It has been some years since I last read these)

I have quite a few other ideas, if you are into fiction/fantasy, but these are the handful that I remember at the moment (I have read well over a thousand novels and I rarely remember the names or titles of them).

Finding Moonshine: A Mathematician's Journey Through Symmetry

by Marcus Du Sautoy

I'm guessing I'll be the only person to enjoy reading Maths here :P

Still, it's not particularly heavy, and if you're interested in finding out why Maths is fun, a good book to read.

Not at all, I would suggest reading the Prime Obsession by Derbyshire which gives an excellent read into the Riemann Hypothesis (it requires some mathematical knowledge, but only a highschool education would be needed to understand it and get a solid grasp of the topic). I personally have a bit of an obsession with math as well :3 If you ever wanna talk about that stuff, feel free to PM me. I don't know too much, but I enjoy learning new things! I also like to share my math quite a bit, but I save that for other places like Facebook and other forums.

Guest Robin Winter

Read Wheel of Time with the exception of the last book, which unless I'm mistaken isn't out yet. I've read both the Belgariad and the Mallorean by David Eddings (read one of the sapphire rose sets too, but I rarely admit that, they were horrible).

If you liked those, you should definitely read Steven Erikson's "Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. It's a bit more grown up than the others mentioned, but it's by far the best fantasy series I've ever read, bar none.

Guest Gregg Jameson

Funny you should ask! :D

While I was taking some time to myself after very busy days here with company, etc., I'd decided to read a book.

I had chosen Kay Henderson's Being Kay/A Transgender Journey. This is an ebook.

I had noticed Kay's book mentioned in the signature line of her posts as a member here. Her posts here are always so very articulate, I'd thought I'd find her book interesting! I was right! It's a great read! :D

I do some educational work and some advocacy work, intermittently. I am going to add Kay's book to my list of suggested reading for persons wanting information on Gender Dysphoria and/or anything Transgender. Kay's writing flows so well! I'd quickly found myself feeling her feelings, living her experiences, and better understanding her personal journey.

Nice job, Kay! Thanks again for sharing your own story so candidly! :D

With Love to ALL,

Brad

After a bit of a chill in the air this morning, minus 30 degrees Celcius ( about minus 22 Fahrenheit) and finished thawing the water pipes.

I decided to take up some lite reading.

The Gulag Archipelago by the late Alexsandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn.

Huggs,

Joann

• Admin

I just finished reading the fourth installment in George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. This one is entitled "A Feast for Crows."

I have to agree with most of the reviewers who said it was more boring than the first three, and several of the main characters, including the dwarf Tyrion Lannister were missing. That was because of a deliberate decision Martin made to divide the story into two separate books.

Still, it was entertaining and kept me going, and the twists at the end (Martin is great for that) were very satisfying and will serve to keep me hungering for the next book. Good stuff, and now the third book will be on T.V. very soon.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Nicole Thrace

I am reading When all Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin.

It's " Stuff you need to survive when disaster strikes." One of the better " prepper" books I have read.

Hugs,

Nicole

Read Wheel of Time with the exception of the last book, which unless I'm mistaken isn't out yet.

Yes, I heard that it is coming out soon, though.

If you liked those, you should definitely read Steven Erikson's "Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. It's a bit more grown up than the others mentioned, but it's by far the best fantasy series I've ever read, bar none.

Cool, I'll have to read it at some point, thanks! o.o
Guest Chloe518

I'm Currently reading "The Magician", the second book in the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott. I'm also reading ICO: Castle in the Mist.

Also, for those reading the Eragon Series of books, keep an eye out for the doctor who reference in book 3 :)

Guest Robin Winter

Read Wheel of Time with the exception of the last book, which unless I'm mistaken isn't out yet.

Yes, I heard that it is coming out soon, though.

Cool, I'll have to read it at some point, thanks! o.o

Be prepared, it's a 10 book series, and most of them are over 1000 pages. Definitely worth it though. The last book just came out early last year I think, and I've been following the series for almost 10 years. I was always rabid for the next book to be released ^_^ I've read the set a few times.

I actually got started on it by mistake. I bought the second book believing it to be a stand-alone book, I wasn't interested in getting involved with a series at that time. I had gotten a book-store gift card for Christmas, and I just wanted to use it up, so I grabbed that because the cover stood out on the shelf, and I never bothered to look inside to see if it was part of a series. I never even read it for more than a year after buying it, but when I finally did, I was absolutely blown away, and started buying up the rest of the set as I was able.

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Moderator

Gender outlaws - The next generation by Kate Bornstein and S. Bear Bergman.

I really got a laugh out of some of this, funny as all get out, side spliting at times, it's like put the book down and wipe your eyes, you've been laughing so hard.

But really the authors touch on many subjects that we face in daily life, practical in many ways.

C -

Guest KimberlyF

Just finished Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella and started with A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison.

I find both of the writers very easy to get into the story.

I hate books people tell me are great but you have to work at the first quarter or something. Uh no I don't. I'mlazythankyouverymuch.

• Forum Moderator

Currently I'm reading Mike's book. And greatly enjoying it as well. It's well written and one of those books you just slip into and enjoy.

Thanks Bulldog for telling us about it.

Johnny

• Forum Moderator

But I totally forgot to mention the title of the book which I am enjoying so much-The Horse Chronicles.

It's on Amazon and super reasonable too.

And Mike didn't even offer me cookies to endorse it. I genuinely like the book

:)

Johnny

Guest amanda_s

I'm reading shadow divers its about some divers that find a german submarine off new jersey its a true story. no one knew there was a sub there either im have way through.

i haven't read 50 shades of gray a friend has read the first but is having alot of truble reading the second book , but then shes in that lifestyle

Amanda

Guest SaleneAlexis

you would be surprised who is in that lifestyle. but to me i seems a bit too sex oriented which from what research I have done in the lifestyle, is not all about sex