Guest Claire-G

What book are you currently reading?

CyndiRae

Beautiful Day - Erin Hilderbrand

A summer wedding set on Nantucket Island stirs up trouble on both sides of the family. 

CyndiRae

The German Girl - Armando Lucas Correa

Before everything changed, young Hannah Rosenthal lived a charmed life. But now, in 1939, the streets of Berlin are draped with red, white, and black flags; her family's fine possessions are hauled away; and they are no longer welcome in the places that once felt like home. 

C -

Carolyn Marie

Just started reading "Dune" again.  I read it perhaps 30 years ago, and wanted to revisit this old friend.  ^_^

Carolyn Marie

Swan13

Just finished Love by Toni Morrison actually waiting for my last psych appointment on Friday.  Just began Song of Solomon also by Toni Morisson yesterday.

Guest ZombieDracula

I am reading Elite, the second book in The Selection series. Kiera Cass is the author. 

I went to my local Price Chopper one night and the cashier (the only one) was reading one of the books and I asked them about it and then while waiting for Pretty Little Liars books, I decided to grab the first book ("The Selection") and I really enjoyed it, so I decided to get the second one yesterday. 

The book is about the United States, but it's no longer the United States due to war and such. The book is similar to The Bachelor on TV (not that I watch it). I like it though. 

I like all kinds of different books, but I really, really love to read series (as long as they're "easy" reads because I struggle to read certain types of books).

I love these types of threads and since I read a lot I hope to be posting here often. 

- ZD

Tejana

Just for my own edification, just started reading:  Textbook of Autism Spectrum Disorders (Hollander, Kolevzon, & Coyle; 2011 publication).  Old, old topic of interest that I walked away from to study other things.  Too many distractions and other pathways, in my younger years.  I guess curiosity still smolders a bit beneath the cascade of years.:thinking:

ZombieDracula

I'm currently reading Betrayal by Beverly Lewis. It's an Amish fiction story. And is book 2 of the series Abram's Daughters. 

~ZD~

Ravin

I'm reading In My Own Words by Hon. Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

Jani423

Hey Ravin, is that a good book, well written and to the point?  It's the kind of book I would probably enjoy reading. 

Jani

Ravin
On 9/19/2017 at 7:10 PM, Jani423 said:

Hey Ravin, is that a good book, well written and to the point?  It's the kind of book I would probably enjoy reading. 

Jani

It's actually snippets of this and that, speeches, legal briefs, bench dissents, just about everything except published opinions/dissents. Some of the speeches they put the original recordings of the Justice speaking, rather than just the narrator reading it. She is an excellent writer and it is a very nice complement to the biography that will be published in a few years (it was put together by her official biographers).

Jani423

Thanks.  I'll look for it. 

Jani

MaryEllen

I'm reading "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon.

Eden

"Any Human Heart"  by William Boyd

Jani423

Welcome back Eden!

Eden

Thanks Jani,  It was a struggle to find a way back in. Thanks. 

Jani423

I'm glad you made it.  What in particular was difficult?   Maybe it can be fixed or adjusted somehow.

Jani

CyndiRae

The Emperor's Lady - F.W. Kenyon

An old book, it was written in the early 50's, I found it in the used book store, I love the language used, and it's a great read about "Josephine" Napoleon Bonaparte's wife and how she rose to power and the influence she wielded, amazing story. 

Charlize

"A Confederate in the Attic".  An amazing read about the world of civil war reenactors.   It portrays with a great deal of humor a war which is still alive today for so many in the south.

Hugs,

Charlize

Ravin

I reread "Sixth Column" by Robert Heinlein, which I'd read years and years ago. I felt like I needed brain bleach afterward, because it was so racist. Not one of his better works.

Now I'm reading "The Witches: Salem, 1692" by Stacy Schiff. It's nonfiction, about the Salem witch trials, and does an excellent job of detailing the social, historical, and religious environment of the time so there's solid context.

Briana

Ravin,  I'm going to have to check that one out.  It's the perfect time of the year. 

Right now I  reading Schlinder's List.  I tried to watch the movie but couldn't make it through it.  We'll see with the book.

Nihil

I am currently reading The Brothers Karamazov. Written by the legendary Russian author Dostoievsky, it tells the story of a despicable man who spent his entire existence indulging in sex and debauchery while manipulating others (especially his wives) and the murder committed by one of four sons (one of them is an illegitimated son). It's probably one of the most mesmerizing novels I've ever read in my life. I have already been fascinated by Dostoievsky's works (Notes from Underground, Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, The Demons) but The Brothers Karamazov shows the Russian author at the peak of his talent. I can't wait to continue this long story. 

I also finished recently Novel With Cocaine another Russian book written by a mysterious whose identity has been hidden for many, many years (he used the name M. Aguéev when he wrote his book but his real name is in fact Mark Levi). This masterpiece depicts wonderfully the downright spiral of a young teenager in cocaine after his failed relationship with a woman he was insanely in love with. It's extremely gloomy and deprived from any glimpse of hope as ephemeral as it is, and it's written in a disillusioned style that makes the novel strangely fascinating. Vadim, the main character of this book, is someone quite detestable.

SugarMagnolia

The Autobiography of Gandhi. Seemed appropriate given my increased political activism. Also slowly making my way through Judith Butler's Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity which is fantastic, but VERY dense so best done in little chunks for me.

After that, I'll revisit and newly visit some civil, women's and LGBTQ rights authors. 

Leo S.

1984 by George Orwell, on loan from Dad.

Jani423

That's a good book Leo.  I remember reading it years ago.  I should revisit it. 

Jani

Laura Beth

I am currently reading "The Diviners" by Margaret Laurence.  It is the last in the series that includes "The Stone Angel" which was made into a movie.

Laura Beth