• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What book are you currently reading?

Guest Claire-G

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyndee

• Charlize

• Carolyn Marie

• Jani

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone

I am currently reading a series written by Kim Harrison. It is Urban Fantasy and is fun to read.

The series is called Rachael Morgan / Hollows.

The main character is fun and gets herself in to all sorts of situations.   Kind of like Stephanie Plum in Janet Evanovic novels.

Have fun reading it is the best drug money can buy.

Carrie ?

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

Lately I've been reading, this wonderful gift from my soul mate.

"Getty Lee's big beautiful book of Bass" (2018) by Getty Lee

A compendium of the rare, iconic, and weird.

A lovely coffee table hard bound glossy picture book, full of wonderful details and trivia if you are a bass guitar player. Insightful interviews with top players from around the world, including John Paul Jones, Les Claypool, Robert Trujillo, Bill Wyman, and on and on...The author saves his own collection for last and shares in the last chapter.

• Forum Moderator

I've been reading the Thomas H. Cook books. If you don't know him check out Break Heart Hill or The Chatham School Affair. His stories are like an onion that he peels chapter by chapter.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43877372-womanhood

Hi, everyone!

I started to read 'Womanhood: The Bare Reality' by writer and photographer Laura Dodsworth... I bought it for the Kindle app with the other two books from the series ('Manhood' and 'Bare Reality'). 

Actually, it's the last book from the series but I wanted to start with it because you know, some of us are really into all 'vagina', 'vulva' topic even if I don't talk about it 24/7 -  I dream to have it, I almost feel like I have it when I am dreaming and I am jealous. Also, I love to learn more about the raw women's experience - menstruation, sexual activities, and feelings through them, orgasm (eeeh! :)), and the dark side (abuse, assaults, violence, rape, etc.).

It's a really fascinating book and I can't wait to read the next two (even the one with the penises as leading characters ;)). I am not a lesbian, but I really take a 'polite' look over the raw pictures of women's intimate parts ... omg, vulvas! I knew that they are all different, but I haven't' realize that the differences could be that big and amazing. They all look if not 'beautiful', just perfectly pretty and 'normal' to me and I respect the owners for loving them most of the time. 

Read it if you are brave! Read them all! I am sure the rest are as brilliant as this one. 

• Forum Moderator

Thank you @shelly_koleva83 I will check it out - I agree that all women's lower regions are beautiful and one day I'll marvel at my own - when I reach my goal.

Been reading Outspoken, by Julia Serano.  

And slowly working through the graphic novel The Daughters of Ys.  I'm taking my time with this cause I hate the thought of being done with it.

• Forum Moderator

re-reading Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon - wonderful book - lousy movie made for TV with Bette Davis - even her eyes couldn't save.

Sorry, but I need to make this update in here as well! I won't bother you with that (book reviews) further:

I've just read the first transphobe's thoughts in 'Womanhood'!!!

It was about trans men and as usual transphobe, she just stated that 'I don't believe that someone is born in the wrong body!'... Damn! It's way more complicated, biotch! She continues how young dysphoric 'girls' were told not to accept their bodies but to 'change reality' which is impossible because you can't change some bio characteristics. She was anorexic and dared to compare her disorder and to use it as a comparing ground of her statements about gender dysphoria. The moment she did that my empathy about her got lower, but didn't disappear!

But she is a Mumsnet user! What should I expect?! A surprise?! We know most of them are transphobes! 

I am still waiting to reach the trans woman's chapter. 

At this point, I have some depressive thoughts when I am reading it. I am kind of jealous a bit. But all the time I was respectful to all the women's experience and wished I could have it for real not just as emphatic feelings. 

Actually, I am sad! Sad about the transphobic anorexic's views, sad for the pain and jealous of the joy these women could feel! I won't stop reading it, just because there is one (for now) woman who decides to talk from the position of her own experience instead of learning or stay quiet on the topic she didn't dare to look closer. Some of the previous women were very supportive of the 'being a woman' issue like telling that they don't see themselves as a 'woman' at all. 

• Forum Moderator

I am working through the Dark Tower series by Steven King as it weaves through so many side stories and ties them back into the plot.  This has been a summer of Steven King for me and i have enjoyed his work.  The Green Mile was a good movie but a great book.

Hugs,

Charlize

My usual fare is science fiction with a healthy dose of horror thrown in for good measure.  My latest book was actually a compendium of three novels.  It's called the "Icerigger Trilogy," and written by Alan Dean Foster.  Way back a long time ago I read the first book, "Icerigger" not knowing until recently that Foster wrote two additional books to follow up the original.  I have always loved Foster's prose and pace.

Just started the book by Alistair Reynolds titled "Shadow Captain." It is the second book in his "Revenger" series.  It's about two sisters who become spacefarers, the eldest becoming a pirate captain.  The first book in the series "Revenger" is excellent. 

• 2 months later...

I've taken to reading allot of nonfiction lately. I'm currently reading Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America.  I've had several classes on African American history ( 2 general and one specifically on The Civil Rights Movement). After this, I plan on reading Dickens' Oliver Twist. ( I tried to read it about 10 years ago, and only got 30 pages in).

• 2 months later...

At this point as usual I am diving in many books and some pleasure readings - comics books LOL, not the other 'pleasure readings'... Yes, I am a bit 'Geek Goddess' (I love that name coined for AJ Lee, former WWE Superstar) - I like women's wrestling (from booking to the presentation), some PC games (The Sims, RPG Sacred and Diablo series, some city building and simulators (like for booking) mostly) and around the serious books about trans issues and not only, I have a soft spot for the X-Men!

It was inevitable not to relate to them, duh! LOL

Mutants, who saves the world who hates them, and are drowned in 'mutantphobia'... Really familiar?! ;) And they are just gorgeous (and a bit deceivingly stereotypical most of the times LOL)! Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Kate Pryde...and the guys! I really love to read the new titles starting from 'The House of X' to the following series like 'The Hellions' (the bad guys trying to do good things), 'The Marauders' (I love when Kate Pryde is the leader, because I love her LOL), the rest of the new stuff and 'X of Swords' (of course, despite I got a little bit lost into the issues - which follows which, it's crazy).

'The House of X', makes me dreamy and sad! At one side I wish we have our own Krakoa and live there in peace, but then I got sad seeing that 'the men/people/homo sapiens, always come after us' will never end. It's a really great series and I love the plot and complication of the issue. Is it enough to establish a island-country paradise and to bribe your existence with medicines and goods delivered to the 'normal', 'real' humans? Is it enough to be recognized, by the most of the Modern World?... Well, it's not!!! 'They would never leave us alone' is like a unofficial logo. But at least they can try and enjoy it while it exists!

Sad...

And dreamy!!! LOL

• Forum Moderator

I just started reading a book I first read back in my elementary school days, "Little House On The Prairie. I found it as an ebook. It even has all the drawings that my old paper copy had. It's bringing back some warm memories.

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

I just started reading a book I first read back in my elementary school days, "Little House On The Prairie. I found it as an ebook. It even has all the drawings that my old paper copy had. It's bringing back some warm memories.

Oh, wow, My birth mother read those when she was little and her brain kind of fused. She so wants to be a prairie doctor.

I just finished a short-story collection by Seanan McGuire called Laughter at the Academy. It was a lot of fun, but I really enjoy the author so your mileage may vary.

@shelly_koleva83, I have ready just SO many X-titles. The ones I always loved though were "What if?" My collecting habits have gone by the wayside due to financial reasons, but I was pretty into independents and single-heroine books like, "She-Hulk," and "Spider-Woman."

I really loved (and managed to collect the full run of) "the Crossovers" when CrossGen was still a thing.

Hugs!

My daughter sent me a copy of "Before Trans" by Rachel Mesch.  I have started it, but have a lot farther to go.  I tend to read several books at the same time, switching off as the mood strikes.

It's about some gender non-conforming people in 19th century France.

https://www.sup.org/books/title/?id=28579

And a friend gave me an old copy of "Babycakes" which is part of the Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin.  I work on this while waiting for my laundry at the laundromat.

https://www.amazon.com/Babycakes-Tales-City-Armistead-Maupin/dp/0060924837

And the 3rd one currently in progress, "Little Scratch" by Rebeca Watson.  This one is complicated to read because of the format.  It's not exactly in one column and there are more than one thing going on at the same time which can be confusing, although they are related.  It's sort of a stream of consciousness thing.  I like Watson online, and thought I'd check this out, and support her a little.

A bit of description from amazon-

"Relayed in interweaving columns that chart the feedback loop of memory, the senses, and modern distractions with wit and precision, our narrator becomes increasingly anxious as the day moves on: Is she overusing the heart emoji? Isn't drinking eight glasses of water a day supposed to fix everything? Why is the etiquette of the women's bathroom so fraught? How does she define rape? And why can't she stop scratching?"

https://www.amazon.com/little-scratch-Novel-Rebecca-Watson/dp/0385545762/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3HBXX7TXFF96P&dchild=1&keywords=little+scratch+rebecca+watson&qid=1611424626&sprefix=little+scratch%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-1

My life is complicated.

• 11 months later...

My favourite genre is Sci-Fi and over Christmas I managed to finish the Long Earth series. It was a bit on the mind bending trying to keep all the characters and events in order in my head. Very enjoyable though.

Might go and revisit Discworld.

Hugs

Robyn 

• Forum Moderator

I am currently listening to the audiobook "The Millionaires" by Brad Metzler. A very good one, I think.

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf🐾

• Forum Moderator

Reading, "Please Don't Tell My Parents That I'm Queen of the Dead," by Richard Roberts. Love his stuff. It's young adult, but I find that I read a lot of young adult fiction. Some of it is really good.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Thanks Timberwolf.  I just borrowed it from our library.  I love to listen to audiobooks when doing repetitive tasks around the farm.

Hugs,

Charlize