• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Orchiectomy: Facts VS Fiction

Guest kariann330

Guest kariann330

So I had some questions about the procedure and figured this would be a great place to clear some of the facts vs fiction of the procedure.

the first I have herd I am unsure of being fact or fiction is I have herd stories of people experiancing...uhhh...leakage after the procedure, the page that I read this on compaired it to a genetic female being "wet" 24/7 to the point that untill GRS is perormed the use of a pad is nesicary.

The next one I had herd is that undergoing the procedure can..enhance the effects of HRT to the point of acheiving wider hips, larger breasts then would normally be achieved and so on...

As im just getting off work thats all I can think of but I'm sure there are others that people have herd that they would love to get cleared up a little before deciding on having an Orchiectomy or not.

Thank you in advance.

Kari

Guest (Lightsider)

So I had some questions about the procedure and figured this would be a great place to clear some of the facts vs fiction of the procedure.

the first I have herd I am unsure of being fact or fiction is I have herd stories of people experiancing...uhhh...leakage after the procedure, the page that I read this on compaired it to a genetic female being "wet" 24/7 to the point that untill GRS is perormed the use of a pad is nesicary.

The next one I had herd is that undergoing the procedure can..enhance the effects of HRT to the point of acheiving wider hips, larger breasts then would normally be achieved and so on...

As im just getting off work thats all I can think of but I'm sure there are others that people have herd that they would love to get cleared up a little before deciding on having an Orchiectomy or not.

Thank you in advance.

Kari

I had an Orchiectomy several years ago. I have said it before, I had my surgeon at the time consult with Dr. Bowers before doing it. My Orchiectomy surgeon was told that it would NOT affect the outcome of SRS down the road however he was told where to cut so that it would not affect SRS. Which was a virtical incision down the mid line of the scrotum. As I advised before one should consult closely with their surgeon(s) on this as I am not a Doctor and this is just my experience I am sharing. You might hear others claim that it will affect it down the road because "tissue will shrink."

I will go on the record that in my opinion, that is false and I don't buy it. Skin is highly resiliant and does stretch.

However...one thing to keep in mind is if you are going to have SRS getting an orchiectomy might be double duty. In other words a waste of time and pain and money. In my case I knew there was a remote possibilty I would get SRS and but I decided to get an orchiectomy because at the time I was not sure how far down the road that was. As it stands now, it might be sooner than I thought. I had an orchiectomy about 3 years ago. One other reason I got that surgery was to reduce the amount of HRT I was on. All in all I am glad I got it.

I hope that helps.

Just to be clear, I have no personal experience, nor do I know anybody personally that has had this. I may only be spreading my own rumors, for all I know, but:

I've never heard of this, but looking at the anatomy, I don't think that should happen o_O

Your bone structure will not be modified, to my knowledge. Going on HRT is like being in puberty again, but your bones don't grow. Basically, the testes are built in testosterone factories that produce most of the testosterone in your body. HRT for transwomen involves two components-- estrogens and a testosterone blocker. Without the t-blocker, the estrogen would basically be neutralised by all of the testosterone. When you remove your t-factories, you will be producing very little of either hormone, so you will not need t-blockers, but you will need estrogen (I am not sure which estrogen compound(s), sorry :/).

Guest LizMarie

Estrogen actually is a T-blocker, though in quantities sufficient for proper feminization (normal female estrogen levels) it likely won't drop T-levels enough by itself. That's the protocol that my own endocrinologist follows and he's been doing this since the mid-1970s. He gets his patient on estrogen, gets the estrogen levels to where they should be and are stable, then introduces T-blockers as needed. Without T-blockers, my T-levels have fallen from 290 (which was low normal male range) to 180 the last time I was in. At my next checkup in February, we'll see where the T-levels are then and discuss the possibility of adding T-blockers.

So while testosterone does interfere with the workings of estrogen, estrogen also interferes with the production of testosterone. I can state that part as fact.

As for the orchiectomy itself, I can't say anything but claiming wider hips could only occur as a result of fat deposits, not bone structure changes. As for the breasts, everything I've read seems to indicate that genetics is the single biggest factor of all, if your hormone levels are correct and monitored properly, regardless of whether you have your testicles or not.

I had my Orchiedectomy August 2011, and started HRT a month later, mainly to control the "Hot Flushes" , It had other benefits and was to improve my breast growth, which it did, marginally, although the HRT can help to change the way your body change shape, but the bone structure remains unchanged.

At the time of the "Orch" I asked my Surgeon to remove the scrotum and he declined saying that he would leave it in case I wish to proceed with full SRS in at a later date.

I must admit it was the best thing, is to remove the Testerone out of my body, and these days I live as woman full time.

Patricia :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guest SonadoraXVX

My question, is who can do a orchiedectomy, I mean which M.D's do it, in California, or elsewhere for that matter and what is the normal cost? I was also wondering what letters or anything of note, apart, from having a letter from a therapist/psychiatrist stating one suffers from GID, if at all is needed(ie.I have a letter already from my psychiatrist). Just wondering, not much is mentioned about this subject, but I have been interested in having it done, just the myth of lacking skin to do a adequate to do a proper grs/srs.

Lucia,

Lucia, in Australia my surgery was done by a Urologist, but he required that I have a letter from a psychologist prior to doing the surgery.

This actually took about 6 months - 6 sessions ( but not at monthly intervals a couple were a fews weeks apart and others were longer periods.)

Because I have private health cover the surgery was covered, and the trips to the psychologist were also covered by Medicare (Australian Gov't).

The Surgeon that did my operation is familar with the requirements of GRS/SRS, so his comment of keeping the scrotum were quiet in order.

Patricia :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Admin

Lucia, your best bet is to get a referral from either the doctor prescribing your HRT, or from your therapist. If neither has any information, you might check with the County medical association for a list of urologists experienced in the procedure.

I do have the name of an L.A. area urologist that I was given a referral to, and when I get home I can PM the name to you if you like. However, he will probably require a referral from your doctor and/or a therapist(s).

Carolyn Marie

I plan to have it done when I go in for FFS in a year or so. Dr. Cardenas does the inguinal orchiectomies where they remove them through the pubic area with an endoscope (that way there is no incision made on the scrotum). I am not sure if he requires a psychologists referral but I do have one and would recommend that to anyone before major surgery.

Guest kariann330

Another rumor i herd that forgot to mention, once removed, the normal male orgasm of one big event and its over is no more, but instead a full female orgasm is achieved along with the ability for endless multiple orgasms

Guest (Lightsider)

Another rumor i herd that forgot to mention, once removed, the normal male orgasm of one big event and its over is no more, but instead a full female orgasm is achieved along with the ability for endless multiple orgasms

That is what I have found...and not going to elaborate from there other than to say they are not endless but it sure makes the Male Orgasm look pathetic

Guest kariann330

That is what I have found...and not going to elaborate from there other than to say they are not endless but it sure makes the Male Orgasm look pathetic

on just that note, SOLD!!! lol

Guest Clair Dufour

Before T-blockers were available, surgery was the only way to make HRT operate with full effect without the testosterone getting in the way. From what I read, is just as effective. I would think that most doctors would not feel comfortable performing such a procedure including SRS on anyone who has not transistioned on hormones first.

Guest Kelly-087

My question, is who can do a orchiedectomy, I mean which M.D's do it, in California, or elsewhere for that matter and what is the normal cost? I was also wondering what letters or anything of note, apart, from having a letter from a therapist/psychiatrist stating one suffers from GID, if at all is needed(ie.I have a letter already from my psychiatrist). Just wondering, not much is mentioned about this subject, but I have been interested in having it done, just the myth of lacking skin to do a adequate to do a proper grs/srs.

Lucia,

Just about any gerenal surgeon could. It's a simple procedure. Any doctor doing the popular vastectomy could do this surgery as well, and a lot of insurance plans will cover an orchi.

Do any of you have any details of acessing the NHS route to orchie. Ultimately I personally am seeking GRS/SRS as soon as both letters or approval and referral are in. But what are my options/chances for orchie as a stop gap.

I am due to return to Charing Cross/Hammersmith GIC in May and will likely be put on T blockers. I'm going to make enquires then

http://sherrylanina.tripod.com/orchiectomytrans.htm

Another link full of sub links, once again I'd say dicuss whts seen here with your gender proffesionals and If you later seen GRS its good to be informed on the surgeons stance on those who have orchi before hand. Some will not operate or even charge more if you have and some may charge less. If you have an idea of the righht surgeon (of select few) that are the ones your considering then do find out what thier policies are regarding it

Edited by Nicole (Lightsider)
Fixed Hyperlink