• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Oz the Great and Powerful

Guest Sarah Faith

Guest Sarah Faith

Well I don't usually go to the movies, or ever even recommend any especially when it comes to the whole 3D gimmick.. But I just got home from the theater went and saw Oz the Great and Powerful in IMAX 3D and I have to say it's a wonderful movie that I would recommend to anyone!

The movie is a prequel to the original Wizard of Oz and details how he became the Wizard in the first place, and it is very very well done. The story is very touching, the characters are all well done there was one character that Oz meets and it's this little girl made of china who I thought was just absolutely adorable. I don't want to give any of the movie away but it was definitely a feel good movie in the end, though it might be a little scary at times for little ones specifically some of the scenes with the Wicked Witches and their minions. There is very little violence or anything else parents might find questionable for their kids.

Though there were no children when I went today, the theater was mostly filled with other women having an afternoon out lol.

The visual effects in the movie are quite good as well, from the black and white opening, to the arrival in Oz its self with the incredible fantasy landscapes and vibrant colors. The special effects are also excellent and don't overpower the movie its self.

Like I said I don't recommend movies often to anyone but this one is a definite winner in my opinion, and I thought I would share!

Anyone else see this movie yet? Thoughts?

Guest Robin Winter

I'm really looking forward to seeing it, though I'm not a big Mila Kunis fan. I've been a big Wizard of Oz fan in all it's forms since early childhood.

• Admin

Sarah, thanks so much for this review. I've been looking forward to it, and the wife and I will be going tomorrow. I've never been a big fan of 3D, but it might be worth it.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Sarah Faith

I'm really looking forward to seeing it, though I'm not a big Mila Kunis fan. I've been a big Wizard of Oz fan in all it's forms since early childhood.

Aww, well even then I would still suggest it! :D

Sarah, thanks so much for this review. I've been looking forward to it, and the wife and I will be going tomorrow. I've never been a big fan of 3D, but it might be worth it.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Sure! I don't usually enjoy movies quite so much and I got home pretty excited about it and just felt the need to share!

I'm not a fan of 3D either since it really is just a gimmick hollywood dug up to try and pay for the upgrades from film to digital in theaters, but my Grandma broke her ankle the day before and she wanted to see in 3D so I didn't argue. :)

I hope you and your wife enjoy it!

Guest Kendra K

I'm likely going to see it this weekend.

Considering Les Mis was just made into a movie, I'm really dying for them to make Wicked into a movie.

• Admin

We did see it today, albeit in 2-D. I really liked it, and got teared up towards the end, too. OK, it won't win any acting awards, but it was fun, the cinematography was great, and it was quite funny in spots. I do wish they had mentioned about the ruby slippers. Medium thumbs up. :thumbsup:

Carolyn Marie

Guest Sarah Faith

Hmm, well its possible I liked it alot more than I usually would since it was my first movie Ive actually watched since starting HRT, I teared up at the end too shockingly enough! lol

Thanks for sharing your thoughts though Carolyn! :)

Guest Gypsyfeenix

I've been hankerin to see this, though at first I was a bit skeptical. After falling in love with "Wicked", I now have a massive grudge against Dorothy...lol

Guest Kendra K

I thought it was so-so. It had it's moments. Too cheesy and I didn't care for the actors placed on those parts. As a stand alone it would have been okay, but considering the original, Return to OZ, and Wicked this movie was kind of poor.

Guest Sarah Faith

I saw the movie yesterday with a friend. I thought it was brilliant! The graphics were awesome. I plan to get it on DVD

Whew, I was starting to think maybe I was the only person who really loved this movie! :D

• 10 months later...
Guest melanie maritz

I watched it a few days ago :) I really liked it. My mom says I watched the wizard of Oz like a thousand times when I was little and that it was my favorite movie, but I can't remember a thing about it! I was wondering where was Dorothy in this movie since I couldn't remember the original movie and didn't know this one is a prequel.

I also thought the little china doll was too cute and was sad that the good witch was so heartbroken and wanted to stay evil, I was actually angry at Oz for being such a flirt . Now I want to watch the original movie again :)

• 4 weeks later...