• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest JazzySmurf

Started Hair Braiding :-)

Guest JazzySmurf

This was one of the things that I missed as a little girl, and that I'm catching up on now :-) E------'s mom and I decided to have fun last night trying to braid each other's hair. It turns out that neither of us could do a French braid, so we spent some time practicing, and just in general messing around. Anyways, will share pics whenever one of them comes out well!!

Sam

Guest Sarah Faith

I tried to french braid my hair recently... It was a disaster! lol But that sounds like fun Sam.

Guest melanie maritz

Lol! My friend tried to teach me how to french braid her hair but I only tangled it up:)

Guest SusanB

Have a hard enough time braiding my ponytail LOL

Guest JazzySmurf

I'm with you ladies... let's just say it will be some time before you see any pictures of me in a french braid...

mara13

Have a hard enough time braiding my ponytail LOL

Lucky you, I can not even do that. When my hair grows back out, I will likely just put it a pony tail. Nice thing about pony tails, if you put them low on your head, it passes for a male fashion. I set mine so that it passes right through the gap in the back of my cap.

Guest meganstar

I have grown my hair out since I was in elementary school. Only three times since then have I had a full haricut where all my hair came off. My hair is about down to my middle back now (I'm 36 now) and my wife is able to braid it all the way down. However if I try to do it myself I wind up knotting it all up and have to shower and condition it afterwards just to get the tanlges out. The only way I've ever been able to braid my own hair was to do one on each side... which I absolutely LOVE doing. And now that my hair is as long as it is when I braid my hair that way the braids actually reach down to my chest.

The only problem I have now is that I've got MPB going on up top but not too bad. That and my hair is really thin which makes for thin braids...

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

You are more than welcome to braid my hair. :)

There are some craft kits at Walmart that involve braiding so that may be a good start before you move on to hair. I can only do a simple braid.

Guest LuceKeagan

They used to make tools to aid in the fancier braids like hairbone braids. You could search for hair braiding aids/tools on amazon and see what comes up. How to videos can help also. Lots of angled mirrors help when you're learning also. Or dolls, like china dolls or any dolls with "real" hair. It takes time to learn and practice. Many moms start teaching female bodied kids to braid hair as soon as their hair is long enough, simply by braiding it for them. When we're young we can learn very easily by example so hair braiding seems like second nature to some people.

Another thing...wet or dry hair? It's easier to braid damp clean hair than it is to braid dry hair....and freshly clean dry hair is just a pain hah.

Guest meganstar

A leave in conditioner on damp hair can help as well.

Guest Bellexia

I've never tried this, I must try it. I must also put a bone in my hair for my cave woman days.