• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do most people buy their wigs on the internet?

Guest melanie maritz

Guest melanie maritz

I buy mine at a shop called Vibes. It isn't too expensive but the qaulity isn't too fantastic either.

I saw the most awesome-looking wigs on the manequins in the clothing shops that I wanted to ask them if I could buy it , but I doubt that they'd sell it.

I'd love to buy a wig made of real hair so that I could style it how I want, but they are probably really expensive and there aren't any shops that I know of that sell wigs like that here :(

• Admin

Melanie, I have no idea what "most" people do, but I bought mine in a brick and mortar store and was treated great, even while in male mode. I think there are definite advantages to buying in a store; primarily the professional advice you get, and the chance to try on many styles and colors to find the right one for you.

I understand why many don't, though. It certainly is less stressful to buy from a catalog. Why not just call around, and tell them you are TS and ask if they would like your business? Most retailers only care about one thing; making a sale. If you are going in male mode, go when they are not busy, such as right at opening time, if that makes you more comfortable. Good luck, hon.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest -guest-

I was fortunate to have access to a very nice wig store that is owned by a drag performer and also does a good business selling wigs to people who have lost their hair as a result of cancer treatment.

Yes, the good ones can be expensive. But the one I bought there was well worth the money in terms of quality and realism.

Guest Amber Lynn

Carolyn, you said you had a good experience from a brick and mortar store, and I noticed that you're also from California.

I'm around the LA area and will soon be in need of a new wig. Is it possible for me to find out where you went (without breaking any forum rules, of course)?

Oh, and by the way, Melanie, you can count me among those who have only bought wigs online. Quality was just okay, but they were inexpensive.

Thanks,

Gina

Guest sophia.gentry58

I shop for a wig once online and did not like the results. Since then I have been getting my wigs from a store right outside of the military installation where I work. And no, I don't care any more if someone sees me purchasing a wig. :)

Sophia

Guest melanie maritz

Thanx for the advice Carolyn, there is probably a place around here that sells good quality wigs, I just have to find out where

Guest Guest_

I have bought mine in stores that are in the local mall. Cirilla's Lingrie Store is where I bought my last one $35.00 Its not real hair but it looks (Check out my Gallery Photos) and feels good. The young lady was very helpful also. Hope this helps Love Amber L.

• Admin

I'm around the LA area and will soon be in need of a new wig. Is it possible for me to find out where you went (without breaking any forum rules, of course)?

Thanks,

Gina

No problem at all, Gina. It's Hollywood Wigs, at 6530 Hollywood Blvd., just west of Cahuenga Blvd. It's run by a mother and daughter, and the young lady is very nice and very knowledgeable. She;ll give you the straight scoop too on real hair vs. synthetic. BTW, my wigs are quality synthetic, and I get compliments all the time. I even fooled my doctor, who thought the Finesteride was doing a great job for me. :) If only....

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Thanks,

Gina

Gina -- another place in North Hollywood is Wilshire Wigs which also has its own website here www.wilshirewigs.com . I have bought from them and get good service although not as personal as the place Carolyn Marie mentioned. The place that Brenda recommended has a brick and mortar store over in Anaheim, and when I worked in that area bought from them too.

• Admin

Gina -- another place in North Hollywood is Wilshire Wigs....

How come they're not on Wilshire Blvd? ^_^:lol:

Carolyn Marie

Guest Amber Lynn

Carolyn, Vicky, thank you both for the info! I just may work up the courage to check them out...

Not to get too far off-topic, but I was wondering: I think I understand the main benefits of human hair wigs vs synthetic (as Melanie said, ability to style them, and also more realism), but for the price, I can't bring myself to get one because, at least on my synthetic wigs, strands seem to get tangled and fall out WAY too often! This would be a problem with any wig, right? Or do I just not know how to handle them properly?

Gina

• Admin

I can't say for certain why that happens, Gina. Synthetic wigs have to be handled carefully, and washed about once a week or 10 days, depending on how dirty or oily they get, and then hung on a Styrofoam or other mannequin head . Your wig care professional can advise you on what kind of brush or comb to use, but you should never pull or tug on the hair to get tangles out. My wigs are pretty short, and straight, so tangles are rarely a problem, but long hair wigs are another matter.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Amber Lynn

Thanks Carolyn, I actually just used cheap plastic wig stands, but perhaps I'll invest in a head-shaped one.

I guess that's another good reason to go to a brick and mortar store and get some questions answered. Hard to do that in stealth, but I guess girl's gotta do what she's gotta do...especially if I want to try some on when get there! ^_^

Gina

• Admin

Actually, from my wig expert(s) to you-- via me -- just about every synthetic wig has far too much fiber in it, and can lose 20% or a bit more without looking bad. Don't worry if some comes out in a hair brush at first. It will get less and less as time goes by.

Never brush or comb a synthetic wig while it is wet!! Keep the wig in a box or a paper bag when it is not on your head. Turn the wig "inside out" and gently pack the fiber into the inside out cap before putting it into its home.

Do not store the wig in a place that is hot and dry or near petroleum based chemicals. <I have seen CD girls store their wigs in the trunk of their car behind the spare tire -- cringe!!!>

For brushing the wig, use a brush that is either a super cheap half round nylon bristle brush, or get what is called a Ventilators Brush from the wig company. Both will do fine. Do not use a metal bristle brush.

Brush the wig from the ends to the wefting, and work out tangles if they happen. Tangles are less likely to happen when brushing from tip to cap.

You can also use a rat tail combs tail to separate the fiber, this time from weft to ends, along the lines of the wefting, this will give the wig very nice body. Do this right after you have washed and thoroughly dried it, preferably over night, Work from the neck back of the wig up to the top of the skull, you can use hair stylist clips to keep the upper fiber from tangling with the lower while you do this.

For daily wear, brush the wig out BEFORE putting it on your head. Grab the wig by the front, and use the tip to skull method. When you get it on your head, then smooth it out and you can use a light hair spray on it.

I've got more of this, but its 1AM where I live right now. Happy hair to you!!

Guest JeepGirl90

A problem I run into is where I live there are no wig shop except for ethnic wig shops while I have bought wigs from these stores , colors seem to be limited, and the color I really like (4B) is never in stock. so I buy mine online for that reason.

-Christina

• Admin

A problem I run into is where I live there are no wig shop except for ethnic wig shops while I have bought wigs from these stores , colors seem to be limited, and the color I really like (4B) is never in stock. so I buy mine online for that reason.

-Christina

I have never had a problem asking a wig store to order a color for me. They usually have them in in a day or two, and you can easily reject it there in the shop if it is not right, since they can return it to the manufacturer, or in the alternative, if you like it, they can trim and fit it to your face. The fringe or bangs trimmed to your face are often the difference between a hair do and a wig.

Guest Amber Lynn

Wow, thanks for the wealth of info, Vicky! I'll try the tips you mentioned.

Also, I had no idea that some wig stores would trim them to your face, that's really neat!

Gina