• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

If I Could, I Would Be...

Guest Felicia Anne

Guest Felicia Anne

hello...

i'm kind of new and shy, but i wanted to break the ice a little...

if you could be any singer or musician, who would you be and why?

me, if i could, i would be lisa loeb. i love her voice and songwriting, she is awfully pretty, and she wrote stay. when that song came out, i was dealing with some gender questioning, and in that hurting part of my heart, that song came along and was a soothing balm that helped me stop hurting. i would love to be her, and sing that song from my heart...

anyone else?

Guest Kelly Ann

mmmmmmmmm...tough one, buuuuuut...Jimi Hendrix the original VooDoo Chile-he was so needlessly taken sooo young I would sacrific myself for the betterment of the world and guitar music in general...otherwise...Billie Holiday and get totally straight...she was such a songbird. God Bless the Child, Kelly Ann

Guest Elizabeth K

Haley Williams - from Paramore

Hey I don't know why - she just hit I special spot with me when my granddaughter showed me her site on the internet. Yeah - I am waaaaaay to old - but its not a hit-on-her thing - I just feel I would like to be just like her - 'nother lifetime maybe?

As a trumpet player I have a number of idols in different areas, in Jazz it would be Don Ellis, the most inovative trumpet player so far, his compositions from the 70s are still ahead of our times, for classical it would be the Russian virtuoso Timofky Docshutser but for being able to do it all, Doc Severinsen. If not them - me!

Love ya,

Sally

Hold onto your hats, but, as much as I "dislike" him for various reasons and in sincerity would NEVER want to be him (cuz I worry he'll end up knocked off by some mobster or something before its all over honest) I would say Puff Daddy.

Just because he's one of the few black male artists who's wardrobe I like. That and he's got those two "James Bond girls" with him in the helicopter for his "I am king" fragrance lol

Let me have a few choices......

Jazz--Miles Davis/ John Coltrane..

Pop..........Don Everly/Linda Ronstadt

Early R&R Chuck Berry...Buddy Holly.......

Country...... Johnny Cash/Tammy Wynette

Rock Eric Clapton/Jerry Garcia/Jimi Hendrix/

MoTown...Diana Reeves..Levi Stubbs.....David Ruffin.......Tammy Tyrelle

Soul....James yowwwwwwwwwww Brown

Opera.....Pavorrotti/Maria Callas

Hip Hop/Rap....Jam Mastr Jay/Ludacris

Orchestral Composer...........Stravinsky

Song Writer.............Cole Porter

But above all and since 6th grade.........My look alike twin Bob Dylan

Guest Donna Jean

Oh my ...

By all means....Bonnie Raitt.....My all time heroine! She plays guitar better than most men and can she SING!!!

Lets give 'em something to talk about...

Donna Jean

Guest OneOutOfnOne

This would be difficult for me to select a single musician for this question, but if I had the voice of Nina Persson of The Cardigans, well... yes, well, if only. Then, if I could have the musical talents of anyone, the answer would be Frank Zappa.

Guest CharlieRose

If I could play piano as good as Amanda Palmer... I don't even know how awesome that would be. (

Watch her hands! She's completely self-taught, too!) I took lessons for like four years, but I still kind of suck. If I practice for forever with sheet music I can play some songs, but I'm nowhere near as good as her.

I'd also like to be able to play the guitar with any skill. I tried learning some chords, but it didn't go very far.

Guest Felicia Anne
I'd also like to be able to play the guitar with any skill. I tried learning some chords, but it didn't go very far.

charlie, here is some great advice for you if you want to try a simpler approach to playing guitar. one of my favorite bands was soundgarden, and they lowered their low e string down to a d. if you do that, the d, a, and d strings form a perfect major chord. whatever the root note is determines the chord, and to make the chord, all you have to do is hold down the three strings with your fingers (or finger if you can pull it off). granted, it's a cheat and is limited in scope, but for playing and writing, sometimes it's fun to go outside the lines!

Guest Kelly Ann

Well Charli...I can eek out Sympathy for the Devil on Piano...play it ok on bass and give it a go on guitar. But that's the extent of my piano capabilities...I'm still trying to figure out why keyboard players like so many flats LOL.

Well Charli...I can eek out Sympathy for the Devil on Piano...play it ok on bass and give it a go on guitar. But that's the extent of my piano capabilities...I'm still trying to figure out why keyboard players like so many flats LOL.

I assume that you mean the original Rolling Stones recording and not the Blood, Sweat and Tears arrangement because if you could play that on piano I for one would be really impressed! I can play the Bongo part from the original and I do a pretty mean back up woo-hoo!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Emily.SoCal
charlie, here is some great advice for you if you want to try a simpler approach to playing guitar. one of my favorite bands was soundgarden, and they lowered their low e string down to a d. if you do that, the d, a, and d strings form a perfect major chord. whatever the root note is determines the chord, and to make the chord, all you have to do is hold down the three strings with your fingers (or finger if you can pull it off). granted, it's a cheat and is limited in scope, but for playing and writing, sometimes it's fun to go outside the lines!

Good advice, Felicia! I think they call those barred power chords because, like you said, you can just bar all three strings to get chord. Kurt Cobain did the same thing on a lot of Nirvana songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" I think. So many grunge and punk songs can be played that way. I remember in the early-to-mid 90s my E string was never tuned to E! Ah, I wish I still played. The guitar is a really special instrument.

Guest Emily.SoCal

Oh yeah, to answer the original question...

I think I'll take the multi-genre approach like Mia did:

alt-rock: Kim Deal (Breeders, Pixies)

punk: Allison Robertson (Donnas)

hip-hop: Queen Latifah

electronica: DJ Rap

soul: Tina Turner

avant-garde: Amanda Palmer (Dresden Dolls)

singer-songwriter: Tori Amos

And while I'd rather be another woman, there are guys that I'm fascinated by and might want to be: David Bowie, Mike Patton (Faith No More and many others) and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age).

• 4 months later...

Hmmm..

I think Ryuutaro from Plastic Tree

(sorry, xD I basically only listen to Japanese music. 0.0 Though I just did listen to Decode by Paramore, I LOVE

Guest Neuro

Hunh~ I'd be GACKT, and reform that attitude of his! XD

Or Meat Loaf. I dunno why.

But I would really like to be someone who can play many instruments...

Ronnie Radke because, quite honestly, if I had to have a boy voice it'd be his- it's got the girlish lilt at the end so it's all good!

Guest Leigh

oh no....i don't know.

George Harrison?

James Brown?

Andrew VanWyngarden (MGMT)?

oh...no..i have it Jimi Hendrix. love the man.

but, really....dunno. dunno. that's like asking me to pick my favorite musician....it's like asking a parent to pick a favorite child when all their kids are smart, cute, etc....

yeah.

that was just me rambling... as usual when music is mentioned.......

peace&love

leigh

• 4 weeks later...
Guest My_Genesis

more realistically speaking, I can't sing and im more of a behind-the scenes than a center-of-attention person so...I'd like to be a guitarist and/or bassist for a rock band (havent learned bass yet but really want to and since a lot of band members switch up their instruments sometimes..) not any specific band, really any of my favorite bands would be cool.

but hypothetically, if i could sing...I would love to be Gavin Rossdale. i like all his music but mainly his 90s stuff. plus he can also play guitar so id get to do both. and i like his lyrics, would be nice to have that talent for once. in rl i suck at anything like writing lyrics or poetry lol :P

...and, i mean he's married to gwen stefani so even if its just for a day :D