• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

arm shaving

Guest kimberly c

Guest Jenn348

It depends on your skin and hair types. I didn't have much luck shaving because it would go stubbly pretty fast. Hopefully HRT will thin it out :)

Usually after being on hormones for awhile, arm and leg hair gets lighter in color and thinner, i use a razor to shave my arms, after almost 5 years on hormones i can go a few weeks in between shaving, everyone is different and your outcome may be different from mine or others.

Paula

Guest ChristinaAnne

im a fan of waxing myself, and it each time is you wax, the hair grows back thinner and lighter, sometimes not at all. the only thing about waxing is it smarts ^_^

Guest Kaylee234

I shave my arms with a Venus razor every 1-2 days. I've also been hoping that HRT helps thin it out but no luck yet (of course I've only been on for a month) ;)

Waxing, electrolysis, and laser are also alternatives.

~ Kay

Guest Bellexia

I shave mine still. Bout 3 years on hrt. Not like it's super hairy or thick, I just have this thing about body hair. It all must go :P cept for my head o' luxurious hair. I just shave, I use conditioner in the shower courteousy of a tip I read in a thread a few days ago.

I wax my arms from time to time. Shaving made them to itchy and stubbly. After about 11 months on Hrt now the arm hairs are a little lighter. I have seen some girls with hairier then me :P

Guest Sarah Faith

The hair on my arms are thinning on their own over time, but I keep it shaved using Nair. I just apply it wait 2 minutes get in the shower and I have smooth arms. I really only have to do it maybe once a week. Hopefully over the next year or so it'll get to where I wont have to do it hardly at all.

Hi Kim,

I am guessing that you have no plans for HRT if you're crossdressing. So much depends on your skin, and hair quality that it may just require trial and error. The tools available are razors, epilators, chemicals, and waxes. Permanent hair removal would probably require laser and electrolysis.

If it were me, I would try first with a razor, then Veet. I've no experience, however. Perhaps some of the CD's here can give more insight.

Love, Megan

Guest sophia.gentry58

I've been shaving with a razor, but like others have said it comes back stubbly in a matter of a few days. However, my female friend whom I came out to recently told me about nair and like Sarah, I was told that I will be left with smooth skin longer than using a razor. But, like Megan said, it is a matter of trial and error, especially if you don't want to lose the hair permenantly.

Sophia

Guest Jocelyn

Hi

I have a rather hairy body, I wax my back, legs and get a brazilian and love the feeling. I have started to trim my forarms and shave my upper arms, insides and the backs of my hands to see how it looked. love the light hair look. I am going to try nair next, I know I'm going to love my hairless arms.

Cheers

Jocelyn

Guest Sabrinaxx

I've tried epilation, but a Venus razor and cream do the trick for me while I'm in the shower. I can go about week without needing to shave them again. I also use lotion afterwards, my skin can get a little irritated otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Alissia.C

For right now, like everyone else I shave my arms, legs and pretty much everywhere. I simply use a electric shaver which keeps the hair away for a couple days and my hair does not grow very quick either so I am good with that.

Guest CassieX

Like Kay I use the Venus Razor with Aveeno Positively Smooth shave Gel. It has soy which is supposed to retard hair growth. It also smells yummy! I do laser on my arms every couple of months depending on the regrowth but have found after 4.5 months of HRT that a lot of the hair isn't coming back and most of which is, has grown back very fine and light. I spot shave as needed every couple of weeks..

I don't trust myself with a razor anywhere other than my face, so I Nair the rest away. Of course I have tough hair and very insensitive skin, so I can get away with most any chemical on my skin.

Just be careful, and make sure to do a spot test. Nair IS a strong chemical mix, and could possibly irritate. I just happen to be lucky in that I can spill bleach, ammonia, wood stain, or even Paint stripper on me and not react much. But that is just me.

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

I use an epilator currently. I have tried shaving but hate the irritation. I love the results with the epilator (when initial swelling has gone down ~ a day) but on my legs and stomach have issues with ingrowing hairs. I hope I can overcome. Epilator causes some pain in use (especially on the backs of my hands - be prepared) but hopefully this should subside after a while.

Guest DianeATL

Waxing for me although I have to follow that up with some tweezers because it is are to get all of the angles between knuckles. So there are usually a few spots missed that I just pluck.

Guest April.

Hmm, shaving sucks anywhere you do it,but is quick.

Waxing is awesome, and dosent hurt all that bad, but you need a few mm of regrowth for the wax to grab.

Epilators, well not super fast and I dont know why I paid $50 for what is essentially a personal torture device.

I havnt experienced laser or electro yet, and I hope hrt is helpfull for me here too. :)

April.

Guest Carla_Davis

I have been on HRT for 6 years.

I do not have to shave often.

I still have to shave my arms and legs, even though the hairs are very thin.

I usually do it when I shower.

I use a shave cream with a good moisturizer built in.

Hugs,

Carla

• 1 month later...
Guest Raven Moon

I used an epilator on my arms and the backs of my hands. That hurt like hell! But it's been a few weeks now and they are nice and smooth. It hurt too much to use anywhere else, and didn't work well on my legs, so I shaved everywhere else. That took forever the first time! I'm Italian, and was moderately hairy. But it's been easy to maintain. My back had to be waxed, but I don't have a hairy back, thank goodness. I get stubbly fairly quickly, but really can't see it, more than I can feel it. I shave in the shower.