• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest JazzySmurf

Why must it hurt?

Guest JazzySmurf

In particular, why must it hurt to be mis-gendered?

This is something that I've been thinking about, off and on, and I want to ask this question to hear your thoughts. This is on the Buddhist forum mostly because of the style of thinking, but it may also be part of the Transsexual forum as well.

(1) Is it because (the-universal-)they are trying to hurt us? Some very well may, and some may just have made a mistake. Even if there was an intention of be hurtful via their words, must we necessarily be hurt?

(2) Is it because we are not really the gender that we wish to present? This may ruffle some feathers, but it may be worth contemplating. Even if it were true, how would being mis-gendered in this context necessarily lead to being hurt?

(3) Are we looking to people for approval of our gender identity? We are women, we are men, etc, yet is there still a little child in us that seeks approval from others? Is the difference between their judgment of us and our identity necessarily hurtful?

(4) Are we feeling the pangs of disappoint for not "passing" in our appearance? If we are, say, women, and did not happen to look like a stereotypical woman at some time, in somebody's mind, does that necessarily lead to being hurt when our "failing" is pointed out to us?

(5) Does it trigger dysphoria? Are we hard-wired to feel dysphoria and hurt when somebody mis-genders us, or is it a result of conditioning, perhaps due to the way we were raised?

(6) Do we feel lesser than people who did "pass" at that particular moment? Do we judge ourselves on based on how well we conform to societal norms of gender expression and then necessarily change it for the worse when some person "fails" us?

VickySGV

Each of us is striving to know our own identity and to be secure in it. The misgendering shakes our sense of self identity and causes us to have disharmony with the parts of our mind we are still learning to harmonize. It is to us the accidental sharp or flat note that disturbes a musical phrase we are trying to compose in ourselves. We are re writing our own lives, and our composition must be played as we compose it, or it is someone elses work which we can no longer listen to without pain or grief.

Hi Sam,

I'd leave off #1 for myself. The rest apply in some form or another, in some level of importance depending on the moment.

We always say we were misgendered. But, as an animal with animal instincts, people are not trying to "gender" the other person, but to "sex" them. So, people misinterpret our sex? Not really, just an innocent statement of a painful fact. Hence dysphoria, and all the displeasure that goes with.

We are in the Buddhism Forum... Perhaps that dysphoric reaction could be treated as a koan? Does the dog have Buddha Nature? Does the transperson have sex M, or gender F? Not a really good koan. But, to practice mindfulness in that moment, there is a lot to learn. I like to quote Patrick Swayze, "Pain don't hurt". Misgendering can be painful. It is our reaction to it that allows it to hurt. That's our practice.

Love, Megan

Guest JazzySmurf

How does one feel hurt from misgendering if one cannot pinpoint what gender is?

Guest Jaques

I feel its the attachmentwe have to the body which causes the pain, if we didnt identify with the physical so much, i dont believe it would bother us - but getting to that point isnt always as easy as it might seem

Guest JazzySmurf

How can we seek to reduce our attachment to our bodies if many of us are seeking to (hormonally/surgically) alter our bodies?

By the way, I'm mostly responding to posts here via koan-ishy type questions, but if you find it tiresome, I'm happy to carry on a usual discussion as well :-)

Guest Jaques

OK, this is just how i feel about it - when I started to study buddhism, i began to study myself, really look inside to understand why i am as i am, think as I think etc - way way along this line, i began to understand the pain caused by attachment to anything, at that time, my "wrong" body - i learnt by experience that all the time spent agonising over it produced nothing positive and i suffered more. For me, i feel, i brought myself into my present body by way of karma, i felt i had to alter my physical body to "line up" with the way my mind was - to an extent this has helped me.

If id followed what i feel is truth, then having a male or a female body, with or without gender dysphoria, or if i had 10 heads, it would be of no consequence.

ergo - i suffered from gender dysphoria because i couldnt accept this is how it is "this time around" and instead of concentrating my mind on all the things that were hurting me, i could have said "so what" - its not about this, let it go and got on with whats really important.................i try to do this -though its easier said than done - and of course life isnt easy for anyone on this particular path - its that completely letting go thats the hard thing - i keep hanging on to "me". with the big EGO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and im not saying this is how anyone else should see it! - and no, jazzy smurf, i dont find your question tiresome :lol:

Guest JazzySmurf

"What things are important, and why is it important?"

and/or

"Suffering comes from a belief that our condition is, somehow, eternal. If we think something is good or bad, then we bestow the concept of eternalness in our condition. For example, for behavior we may think "No, don't do that! / Let's do that!" before-hands or "I can't believe I did that! / Let's do that again!" afterwards. Also, for everyday life, we may think "I'm glad I'm young/making money/gorgeous/smart/strong! [perhaps secretly thinking, I don't want it to end!]" if situation is "good" or we may think "I don't want to be this! / How do I change it? / How do I cope with my situation?" if situation is "bad".

If we listen too much to chatter of good or bad, then we can lose sight of the purity of our being. Let's be still through the chatter and just see ourselves as we are; for example, being transgender is simply being :-)"

Guest Jaques

When i say important things, i mean concentrating my mind on the things of the soul/spirit,so that what ever my external condition,being trans, not having this or having that, i dont suffer because they become less important - and yes i understand what you say "being transgender is simply being" - acceptance is the thing = but as i said before, its often easier said than done, lol!

Guest JazzySmurf

Yeah, definitely :-) It is often the simple things which can be difficult. With practice, it will come! "At the beginning, nothing comes; at the middle, nothing stays; at the end, nothing goes" ~Milarepa :-)

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 67 Guests (See full list)

• RhondaS
    • onyx
    • KymmieL
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

ellerose
    Newest Member
    ellerose

1. Eden
      Eden
      (65 years old)
    • Alexxiss
      I am currently having the same issue as Lenneth did. Would you please post that link that worked for them again @princecharmless Thank you in advance!
    • Alexxiss
      I see now you joined up in January. So you’ve been much longer than me. I guess I had failed to notice this was in the biography section. Thanks for sharing your story.
    • Alexxiss
      My father first discovered me dressed at probably 10 years old. I grew up with no sisters so I had put my mother's clothes and heels on. He was confused and forced me out of those clothes and into my closet on my knees staring at a wall. That to him was a light sentence seeing as his father used to punish him far far worse for far far less. I can remember dressing as far back as 1st grade, which is at about 6 years old. It’s natural for us to do it. Outsiders will never really understand what that pull is like. I believe most of us have this experience before puberty. 
    • Susan R
      Welcome @joannewatters69, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I too had a similar beginning story as yours. Of course, the forced feminization by mom was where our life story’s parted. At age 4 after finding me in my sisters clothing, my mother grabbed me by the arm so fast, I’m surprised I still have one. I was scolded and undressed so fast my head was spinning and was told NEVER wear your sister’s clothes again. Quite a different approach than your mom’s. Both styles of discipline failed to stop our crossdressing obviously but they gave it their best shot I guess, didn’t they?   Thanks for sharing a little more of your story. I don’t know if your mom ever accepted this side of you but it seems as though you have and that’s all that really matters.   My Best, Susan R🌷
    • Lexi C
      Susan is so right. I had hair like a Monkeys ass, but HRT did slow it down, then i laser my chest and in process of electrolysis for my face. She  right your light years from i was at your age and it take time
    • Lexi C
      Hey Ladies Like Alexxiss said quite an interesting read. Which brings me to point where i ask, "Did anyone have second thoughts before surgery". Cause if all goes to plan i am under knife next yr around this time, But i keep reading about the heal process, time process and to be honest i don't know if i can make it. Not saying i can't do it. I mean i don't  know if i have the resources to actually make it I don't have any very good  friends that would help during this process like Kylie has. I don't have the best IPO like  a lot of you have. I am on Medical and i have to take what they give me or pay for it myself. I don't have  a war chest of savings . Thus i wouldn't be able to take that much time off   from work which consists of 100% manual labor So as i read these updates and stories I am beginning to get scared that i will not be able  to cross the finish line.  So what the point then... Sorry i don't mean to Hijack this tread . I apologies to  KathyLauren
    • Susan R
      No need to be sorry @TransMex. We all respond when we have time and/or when we feel in the mood. I think you’ll be happy with some of the changes you’ll likely experience on HRT. Just work slowly toward your goal and take small steps at first. No small change in the right direction is too small. Most of the changes are in your mental perspective. Just trying to stay positive about your forward momentum can in itself change you. When you look back in a year or so, I bet you’ll see some positive results in your journey toward womanhood.   My Best, Susan R🌷
    • TransMex
      Thank you for your comment Susan. It's made me feel a bit more hopeful about HRT. I didn't think it would make much of a diference in terms of my hair. I plan to get laser hair removal one day, tho I have so much of it I don't know if it can work for me honestly. I know how to get rid of it for the most part in the meantime. It just feels like yet another way in which I'm lightyears away form my goals.     Thank you again for your comment Lexy. I'm sorry to hear of your experience and I'm glad you were able to find hope and get to where you are. Thank you for trying to give me hope too.            Sorry everyone, for taking such a long time to respond. My mind is a mess. Most of the time I wish to respond only with more negativity. For now I'm only trying to survive until saturday. That's when I'll see the endocrinologist with the results of my tests.
    • Lexi C
      What be up Joanne. Welcome aboard. 
    • Lexi C
      I find tis topic very interesting. While i agree with most of you," Beautiful is in the eye  of the beholder". I also can relate to Teri.   I have being 24/7 now for 2yrs. Today was my 2yr annv on HRT. At the beginning i would be piss if someone misgender me to the point were i would verbal enforce my gender on then. But I did not have the confidence i do now. Like Teri said , I no longer care cause i pass all the time now and when i don't 100% pass fem, cause my voice or I am wearing a tight shirt and my shoulder show, i still have the mojo to let it not matter to me. Wow 67 gender -what the heck-....Alexxiss is right no wonder people are having a hard time with the TG community
    • Susan R
      This is a very nicely written biography, @Kylara Anne Bagwell. I can relate to many of the thoughts and experiences you’ve had over your life’s journey. I enjoyed reading it very much. I think your last statement here sort of sums it up for me and the main reason I decided to transition fully. I had compartmentalized my life to the point I was living a complete lie. Hiding the best and truest part of myself behind society’s expectations of who I should be. I finally stood up for my true self and it looks like you’re on your way to do the same for yourself. Good for you and thanks for sharing a part of yourself here today.   My Best, Susan R🌷  
    • Alexxiss
      Welcome Joanne! You'll find many understanding and wise friends here. Enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to ask for help.
    • Astrid
      Hi JK, Many of our journies -- mine included -- have had us trying on different labels over time, and ultimately learning that the label isn't important. My acceptance of and comfort with myself is what's important.  I've settled on  non-binary which, for (AMAB) me, means I've concluded that I needn't strive to pass as female. I'm on HRT because after careful thought I believed it would help align my physical and mental self with my gender identity.  And it is indeed doing that, I'm happy to report.    There are so many wonderful folks here, each unique in their own way. And I celebrate that!   With best wishes on your journey,   Astrid 
    • Alexxiss
      Quite an interesting read, ladies. Thank you for sharing your experiences for those of us approaching the surgery. I'm glad you are feeling better about it @KathyLauren  
    • Lexi C
      wow that's great to Kylie. Every penny counts esp now. Hope all is well
  • Upcoming Events