• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Passing/tips?

Guest Zack L

These were taken a little while ago, my friend had a photo shoot. I hadn't come out to her as trans yet, I have a feeling she was trying to find some evidence of my magical disappearing boobs...anyway. I like to think I pass fairly well, and the red shirt is the tightest one I own so... yeah. Opinions? And anyone have any tips for passing better for me? I'm hoping to get a traditional male cut as soon as I can figure out how to get my derrierre to the hair cutting place. Only other thing of note is this: The rainbow wristband? Yeah. I have to wear a wristband of some sort...to hide the scars. And I really like my rainbow one...but does it need to go? =/

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

This is more of what I wear every day. I'm the not blonde if you couldn't guess. =P

Picture 5

And uhh...this one cause it I'm so proud that I tied my own tie. XD

Picture 6

Uhh...I love pictures. >_> So any tips?

Guest Irielle

Zack - picture 5 shows you are really on your way - way to go!

Sorry, but I think maybe the rainbow wristband should go. Get yourself a leather watchband, they are wide like your wristband and get some big 'ol monster watch for it - totally guy! B) Maybe you could wear it and your wristband together.

Be careful of that choker. Get a shark tooth or something wicked and use a longer cord.

Your hair looks good, you can go shorter up around your ears. Give yourself a definite part if you keep your hair a bit long.

Go, dude! :lol:

Iri

Guest Elizabeth K

Strange - you look kinda like I did when I was your age - and I was a guy. The last two photos? You are you are really getting there, hints: cut you hair shorter at the sides, add a part further down the side intead of center. Lose ALL the jewelry for a while. The glasses are good. A big 'guy' watch is a great suggestion. Guys also don't dress as well as you do - most anyway. A little touch of grunge might help - a rougher look Thats about all.

Lizzy :P

Zack, from a photographer's view - try to avoid some of the poses in the first pictures, generaly bringing the arms together at the wrist is considered a feminine pose. Stand with your feet about shoulder width, with your toes turned slightly out and the weight pretty evenly distributed drop your hands to your side - girls tend to keep their hands at waist level or above - guys don't hands in your pockets are OK too. Moving your part to the side will make a huge difference (Lizzie knows) and take the part all the way to the back - it shouldn't stop until you reach the drop off (at the end of the world? - no the back of the head). Big watches instead of wrist bands are the way to go. (listen to Irielle0

The girls know what makes a guy pass (and we know that the guys know what makes us pass).

Love ya,

Sally

Zack, you look really good. The only advice I can give is that maybe you could go a bit shorter with your hair. A really short hair cut always looks super masculine. You also have such a naturally masculine face that a shorter hair cut would show that off more as well.

Zack, you look really good. The only advice I can give is that maybe you could go a bit shorter with your hair. A really short hair cut always looks super masculine. You also have such a naturally masculine face that a shorter hair cut would show that off more as well.

Excellent...I just got a new haircut like an hour ago!

Opinion? =3

New haircut 1

New haircut 2

Also tried shaving just 'cause it'd make me happy...the bleeding bit wasn't too happy...and I didn't actually do that good a job lol, but still.

@ Lizzie

I'm glad the glasses are good...I can't see a thing without 'em. XD And as for the shot of me in the tie -- I was at a fancy party thing that kinda degraded into a raveish...thing. I just put it up cause I was so proud of my tie tying skills. =P

@ Irielle

I juuust got a new watch, so ya think a black wristband would be alright? >_> The watch isn't big enough to cover everything. >_< My friends are al gonna wonder where all my rainbow stuffs gone. XD

@ Sally

Thanks for the posture and such advice, I had no idea about the arms, I'll definately work on that.

Guest Jackson

Now I was gonna say that you might consider more masculine glasses, but the haircut really did the trick. Wow. If I didn't know and just saw both sets of photos somewhere online, I'd never guess it was the same person in both sets. Cool.

I'm just really focused on eyeglasses at the moment since I need to really upgrade myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I joined this topic way too late but I gotta say that if I passed you on the street somewhere, I would never guess in 1,000 years that you were anything except 100% male.

Just lettin' ya know. :)

How did I miss your new photos?

Oh you pass!

To someone who has known you but been away for a couple of years, they might think that you are your own brother, you could introduce yourself as Zack (real last name) and they would say, "Oh, you must be (birth name)'s brother, you're older aren't you?"

Way to go,

Sally

Guest matthew41

Hi Zack,

That is a great haircut.

Posture and an air of confidence will help you pass. Try this to help with posture; stand up straight with your feet shoulder width apart. Rock your pelvis forward to bring your hips under your shoulders. Hook your thumbs in your pockets with your fingers pointing down on the sides of your legs. Relax your shoulders and let the weight of your arms pull them to the side.

Look forward, not down, when you walk and your legs will move but your hips won't swing. You can unhook your thumbs and let your arms swing at your sides.

When we walk past other people, we look them in the eye for a moment. When passing by another guy, give a quick but slight head nod but don't smile at him, then change your glance back to the direction you are walking. When passing a girl, do smile but don't use the head nod. When it works right, the guy will nod back and a girl will look off to the side or look down after eye contact. Avoiding eye contact all together is a sign of submissiveness. Confident men don't do this. Hold your head up high and be proud of who you are.

Best of luck to you,

Matt

Guest jessica111

Hi Zack!

I know you're probably looking for physical ways to help you pass but there's something I realized recently that you might find helpful.. After I came out last May, I wanted to give my family an appropriate amount of time to adjust to the idea of my switching gender. As gradually as was comfortable for me I started to let my "real" personality show so they could get to know her. Both with family and in the workplace, I live my personality at about 80% even though I haven't transitioned yet. At this point, while I'm planning on going full time very soon (I'm changing my name legally at the end of March.. WOOHOO!) I find that, especially at work ( I work in a home improvement store) some people assume I'm female and I'm not even trying yet! I went to lunch with my Mom the other day and the waitress came over to say, "What can I get for you ladies?" My hair is kindof long but I'm still only on laser treatment #2...

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that your personality.. how you carry yourself and deal with other people is just as important as how you look. It's easy to read someone who looks like they're trying to decieve... If you're afraid you're not going to pass, it will show in your body language and people will focus on that. If you're confident and don't worry about passing, few will question your gender unless you give them reason to. STUDY guys' behaviors and weave (don't just copy) those behaviors into yours until you just act that way naturally... And that haircut looks great!

Jess

Guest Adam_Mazur
These were taken a little while ago, my friend had a photo shoot. I hadn't come out to her as trans yet, I have a feeling she was trying to find some evidence of my magical disappearing boobs...anyway. I like to think I pass fairly well, and the red shirt is the tightest one I own so... yeah. Opinions? And anyone have any tips for passing better for me? I'm hoping to get a traditional male cut as soon as I can figure out how to get my derrierre to the hair cutting place. Only other thing of note is this: The rainbow wristband? Yeah. I have to wear a wristband of some sort...to hide the scars. And I really like my rainbow one...but does it need to go? =/

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

This is more of what I wear every day. I'm the not blonde if you couldn't guess. =P

Picture 5

And uhh...this one cause it I'm so proud that I tied my own tie. XD

Picture 6

Uhh...I love pictures. >_> So any tips?

Guest Zack L

@Matt

Heh, good to know -- I've been doing the nodding thing for ages now, didn't even really know it was a guy thing, just an...everyone thing. Cool. ^^ Gotta work on more eye contact though. I'm NOT very confident and I AM submissive. Will work on it. =P

@Jess

Thanks for the advice, I'll work on being less nervous. I'm always a bit worried someone will read me and then hurt me. Yaaay. I'll have to go people watching at the mall or something.

@Sally

Thanks, maybe I'll try that! XD

@Adam

Yes, that would be my first post. =P