• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

My first purchase

Guest meganstar

Guest meganstar

I bought my first bit of makeup today. Yay!

I was sooo nervous since I'm in guy mode. But I was saved... by the new self-checkout stalls at Wal-Mart!! Of course navigating the makeup isles and meanuvering around the other women there was a little intimidating... well maybe more than a little...

I only bought mascara... the Maybelline One by One Volume Express. I've been watching TheMakeupChair channel on youtube and she recommended this one because of the applicator and the product itself. I love her channel and she has a lot of beginner videos.

I also purchased a small pack of Olay cleaning wipes as I wasn't sure if I could just wash off the mascara with water. The package says it can be washed off with soap and water though.

After buying my things I found a secluded shady spot in the parking lot to check out my very small haul. I was nervous and kept looking around to see if anyone was watching. The brush and mascara came separate so I took the brush out and practiced with it in the rearview mirror.

Three things became immediately apparent to me:

1. This is harder to do than it looks.

2. I can appreciate the need for makeup mirrors.

3. Poking yourself in the eye with the brush hurts... a lot. :doh1:

I didn't use any mascara as I didn't have time to clean my eyes before getting back to work but it was wonderful just sitting there feeling girly.

I know it's a small thing but I've been trying to find ways to feel femme every day even though I can't go all the way. I wear a small silver anklet under my slacks and I've discovered a new love for toe rings... little things but they get me by for now. :-)

Guest kyliej

Yep! That totally parallels my first purchase!

- Rushes into CVS

- OMG how is this even organized?

- Grabs random mascara, eyeliner and lipgloss

- Has to check out with person

- Thinks "Please don't let the security gates go off when I leave"

- Security gates go off

- Tries putting stuff on when at home

- Looks like a clown

But don't worry, it gets easier! I can now walk into anywhere and get what I need without my pulse racing, and I can actually put on a whole face of make up and have it look pretty good. It's all practice, and congrats on your first steps!

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Meganstar,

Congratulations on you 'Maiden Voyage"

Remember, biological women started makeup at a very young age, we NEED to take a cram course to make-up (Pun) for lost time. :)

Even though I HAVE NOT mastered it yet, I did have a FABULOUS experience with Macy's.

I became friends with the Make-Up manager and she gave me a COMPLETE Make-Over in the middle of the store.

She also told me that as long as I continued to purchase cosmetics from her she would continue to help me.

She also introduced me to her Supervisor.

She even went as far as telling me if I ever have a Special Event to go to she would give me a Complete Make-Over for free.

I am also CURRENTLY looking into SEPHORA'S. They offer a Customized Make-Over Application which is "Basically" free.

The ONLY requirement is that you purchase at least $50.00 worth of Sephora Cosmetics.

I called their HQ, (1-800-SEPHORA) and spoke to the makeup professional and told her that I was a transgender woman and asked if that was a problem and she politely told me No. I even asked her if I could tape record the session because one problem I had a Macy's was that even though the Make-Over was Excellent she went so fast I could not remember everything she taught me. She also told me she didn't see a problem with it. I am also thinking about taking a camera with me and have the Make-Up Professional take photos of me as she completes each step so that I can refer back to it.

I will keep you all informed about adventure to Sephora's,

HUGS,

Carla

Guest DianeATL

Congratulations on your first purchase - it parallels what I did too. Then I realized that I was lost so I got a professional make over and instruction from a local MtF who does them professionally. Then I had her consult on what make up, shades and colors, I should use for my skin tone. We then did an initial stock up purchase at the Clinique counter at Macy's to get all of the stuff I needed to stock my own kit with quality products in the right tones (warning $$$$$). With her by my side I wasn't too nervous. I told her not to try to hide the fact it was for me (even though I was boy mode) to the associate and the Clinique person did not bat an eye. Maybe because they were calculating the commission.

I still am no where near proficient yet, but it does get easier. At first I couldn't get eyeliner within an inch of my eye and Saturday night I had no trouble getting right up to the edge. I found some false eyelash kits that included a giant tweezers like tool for holding them to apply the glue and putting them on. That tool made all the difference because with it I can close my eyes and poke it up there and move it into the right place by feel.

Now that I have had some time with my own stuff and on my own, I am scheduling another teaching session to have her watch me and critique me as I do it instead of just letting her put It on me.

I have also found that the little packets of make up remover wipes are fantastic. Especially if you need to wipe it off in a car like you described. Get some packets and keep them handy.

Guest DianeATL

Hi Meganstar,

Congratulations on you 'Maiden Voyage"

Remember, biological women started makeup at a very young age, we NEED to take a cram course to make-up (Pun) for lost time. :)

Even though I HAVE NOT mastered it yet, I did have a FABULOUS experience with Macy's.

I became friends with the Make-Up manager and she gave me a COMPLETE Make-Over in the middle of the store.

She also told me that as long as I continued to purchase cosmetics from her she would continue to help me.

She also introduced me to her Supervisor.

She even went as far as telling me if I ever have a Special Event to go to she would give me a Complete Make-Over for free.

I am also CURRENTLY looking into SEPHORA'S. They offer a Customized Make-Over Application which is "Basically" free.

The ONLY requirement is that you purchase at least $50.00 worth of Sephora Cosmetics.

I called their HQ, (1-800-SEPHORA) and spoke to the makeup professional and told her that I was a transgender woman and asked if that was a problem and she politely told me No. I even asked her if I could tape record the session because one problem I had a Macy's was that even though the Make-Over was Excellent she went so fast I could not remember everything she taught me. She also told me she didn't see a problem with it. I am also thinking about taking a camera with me and have the Make-Up Professional take photos of me as she completes each step so that I can refer back to it.

I will keep you all informed about adventure to Sephora's,

HUGS,

Carla

I think that Sephora is very TG friendly - when Southern Comfort is here in the fall one of the excursions will be a trip to Sephora for make overs and purchases.

I wanted to build a relationship with the Clinique lady at Macy's like you did but when I made my initial purchase a guy was floating and filled in behind the counter. :-( I do think that cosmetics and clothing associates who get paid some on commission would be happy to build a relationship with TG's as long as you are purchasing product from them.

Guest Zayden

Congratulations!

I have had to wear makeup on several occasions, although I generally don't any more. Just when I am feeling like doing the full get-up with feminine clothing.

Makeup never seemed to be organized in any way that made sense in the stores.

I only order from Avon now. I require minimal makeup for work as it is a place of business and I do not present as male.

Keep in mind that most girls have grown up with makeup. It's not an overnight thing to learn how to apply things properly, and I know I certainly never mastered it.

Matt

Guest nomnomnom

Haha, the heart racing thing. It's literally scary and you feel as if people are going to openly ridicule you or worse.

but really, no one cares. Its funny when you look back on it.

congrats on your first time getting make up. For the first few times, if you have a female friend you know and are out to her, it can be a lot easier and you can spend a lot more time choosing things, including make up and clothes... People will think you're just accompanying her. My ex helped me so much in this but I don't need her help any more, even though she insists and makes me buy more than I need!

Guest meganstar

You all make me feel not so alone. :-)

It's nice to know I'm not the only paranoid one in the stores. I'm sure after doing it a few times it won't be so nerve racking. My sister is the only person I have ever come out to and she is really supportive. I might just see if she wants to go on a girls day out shopping. I have heard a lot about Sephora and will definitely be checking them out.

So I went to lunch today and drove to a quiet park I like to hang out at. No one else around and I can sit in my vehicle without worrying about anyone else coming up unexpectedly. I know I'm being paranoid but I prefer to experiment in private.

I got out the mascara and practiced with the brush a few more times... no eye poking. Yay!

So I took the plunge and did up my lashes. Of course not the best job in the world but I think I did decently. I only got a little smudge on my right eyelid but it was small. A couple of my lashed did clump together but my hands were shaking... partly from nerves and partly from excitement. It looked like I was able to get most of the length of the lashes as well.

I was even able to coat my lower lahses a little bit.

I need pratice but it looked fairly good I think. I loved the way my eyes looked. They were huge! And I've been told before that I have naturally long lashes but I didn't realize exactly what that meant until I put the makeup on. They looked really long and pretty...

I was so excited and proud of my work that I took my hair down and tried to tame my bushy eyebrows (yuck!)... I wanted to take a picture of my eyes to show everyone. Then I remembered I had forgoitten my phone at home this morning. :-(

Then I had to cleanup... damn that took forever.

Love to everyone!!!

• Admin

I was lucky in having two sisters, and having two daughters to blame my make-up purchases on. The same makeup mistakes applied to my sisters, my daughters, and me, so my nerves were never quite as raw as they could have been. Having a good friend to help and coach you is the best way though. If people are real snoopy I am sure they can find my make-up disaster photos someplace around the internet, but hey I resemble that remark!!

DianeATL did mention one source for help, and that is at one of the major TG conventions where they will have "shopping tours" and makeup training sessions by some really fantastic people. On September 5th I will be with the SCC group going to the mall for fun as a "big sister".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Must admit I started slowly - initially I was using sun screen but changed to moisuriser and foundation (with sun protection) which replaced that giving screening with improvement to my looks (and no stickiness / shinyness of sunscreen). I expanded to include the full works although slowly. Because of this my first purchase was probably fairly nondescript. Also things were not too daunting.

Initially I was nervous on buying but found that staff in stores were helpful. Don't forget that store staff although used to people may be slightly nervous of you too. Other women generally take little notice and generally men don't hang around makeup counters (except for a few buyers).

I have worn makeup openly now for a couple of years and do not generally feel particularly self concious (even though I look male) although I must admit I looked at my cup at work today and wondered about the lipstick stain - deciding that it did not matter as my lipstick although subtle was probably obvious anyway. Lipstick seal would probably sort but does not seem to work well with the heavily moisturising lipstick that I like.

A lot of ideas / guides are available as online videos in the usual places / craft sites and I found them helpful.

I must admit - it is probably my arty side that prompted me to start but I love makeup, maybe more as a relaxing period of pampering that makes me feel good rather more than the end result however it looks.

I would say practice - as others have said - a woman has been using makeup for years and even some of them do not do themselves justice. Do not fear it being less than perfect from time to time - it happens to everyone (at least everyone who does not have continuous professional help) - definatly me. I like light makeup for work (heavy would not be accepted) and slightly heavier at weekend. When I get chance I really like to go to town and try something really vivid although generally private view only haha, but its good practice and you get to know your limits (Ok racoon or clown - good for a laugh but takes some cleaning).

I have digressed a little but perhaps others may find the experience useful.

Anyway - congratulations - I am sure you feel good - I know I have - now you are beginning the interesting journey to co-ordinate many different products - its gets natural - I have found it very rewarding

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 124 Guests (See full list)

• tracy_j
    • VickySGV
    • Betty K
    • Breanne_O
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

violet r
    Newest Member
    violet r

1. Alik222
      Alik222
      (24 years old)
    2. AvaWill
      AvaWill
      (37 years old)
    3. Drewies
      Drewies
      (50 years old)
    4. JackJerryJohnTheTreeWorker
      JackJerryJohnTheTreeWorker
      (28 years old)
    5. jgram22
      jgram22
      (37 years old)
    • Breanne_O
      I picked a cancellation spot with Dr Lorimer yesterday and had my consultation a month early.  I had been worried about how it would go, but the process of exchanging information was nothing to worry about and I felt quite at ease throughout.  That’s not to say some parts weren’t challenging to articulate clearly, but Dr Lorimer’s manner helped enormously.   The GI/GD diagnosis was such a welcome conclusion to it all, and such an important milestone in my journey.   Now for the Endo consult waiting…
    • VickySGV
      This one is NOT over, and this is not a final final ruling on the matter since this was a procedural and not substantive ruling based on scientific evidence.
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-allows-enforcement-idaho-ban-gender-affirming-care-trans-rcna141209     6-3 decision, of course.  The conservative Justices really don't give a damn who gets hurt, as long as it's "just" trans kids.  This is what we can expect, going forward.    Carolyn Marie
    • MaeBe
      I am on a three month review cycle for dosage. Do you have a plan with your doctor? I didn't discuss overall strategy when I got my prescription, it was a very long appointment. I was able to ask via web message to get a better idea; we'll check blood every 3 months and titrate accordingly. I don't know if we'll change labs to 6mo after a year or not, but that's where I'm at now. I, too, was like "is this enough?" at the start. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but I've seen positive results during the months at a lower dose and continue to notice changes. For instance, my skin sensitivity is much higher. I always wondered why my wife was so ticklish, but I'm starting to understand why. I'll bet I am 20-40% more sensitive to touch than I was before; gently tickling my arm (I would wake up doing this sometimes, up and down my arms) now makes my fingers tingle...in a good way. :)
    • VickySGV
      @mattie22 Welcome to the Forums Mattie.  Our basic view here is that if you have any questions about your gender then you are not Cis Gender and belong here for that reason alone, because if you are not Cis, then you are someplace in the Trans and/or Non Binary part of the world, and on this site, that is simply who is here, Trans and NB folks!  Be comfortable and do not be afraid to ask questions here, or even give answers to others from your own experience.
    • Mx.Drago
      Making a garden greener than before.
    • mattie22
      I am new to this site and kinda scared  to even come to a site like this. 1 i donot know really if I am even trans or not  I know I amqusting my gender fore sure.  I  grew up thinking m one thing and if you  would have explained the baics of gender  when I was in my teens I would have probly said I was a cis male and ment it.  But I geuse thats  becuse  well I am  ok  with seeing myself as one even  thogh  I  I probly fitin the gendr nonconforing . but I also a part of me likes to be seen and treated Like a fmale somtimes.  When I was ynger I crosdress in secret and I started up again.  I also tuck .  tHE THING IS i CROSS DRESS FOR MANY RRSIONS   AT FIRST OUT OF CURISTY AND THEN JUST BECUSE i LIKE TO WEE TH CLOSES.  aLSO SOMTIMES  ITS PARTLY SEXAL AS WELL SOMTIMES BEUSE IT HELS ME TO SEE WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE TO BE FEMALE AND i LIKE IT.  somtimes I wish I were female as well that comes and goes  uslly  it does not last long.   This has happened more recently.  But it s not like i knew as much about gender untell the last cople of yerses .also turns out I am bisexal it took me while did not know this I thogh i was strait for most of my life. I. ok  I better ened this post. for now.  
    • EasyE
      Thanks for the great advice and support @Astrid. I appreciate it!
    • Astrid
      When you are sure you want to continue your HRT journey and the best dosage for you, consider asking your doctor for a three month prescription cycle (90 days rather than 30). This can result for some in considerable savings. It definitely did for me...   I am at the 4 year 5 month mark for my estrogen patches and am so glad I made the decision to go forward.    Best wishes!   Astrid 
    • Ivy
      I watched someone bury one out on Topsail Island one time.  Made me glad I was on foot.  They did get out before the tide got it though.
    • MaeBe
      If you insist. ;)   Bolder day by day!
    • Willow
      @KymmieL you know that picture was from right down the road from here.  A guy lent his New Red Jeep to his brother.  Brother decided it would be fun to drive on the beach, got stuck tried to self extract, got stuck worse.  Tide came in, a storm tide.  That was the end of the brothers jeep!   now, was that the same Jeep or just a look alike? 🤔. The Red Jeep of Myrtle Beach is infamous.   what about putting aluminum diamond plate on both sides so they match using high strength automotive sealant adhesive?edges could be worked so they aren’t blunt which would be bad.  Paying for body work here is VERY expensive!  And my body work is limited to Fiberglas sailboats.   Willow
    • Adrianna Danielle
      Work went good.Have a new co worker that will not last long.I was working and he was on his phone,chewed him out for it.Did tell my boss this and he had a word with him on it.Said it was costing my boss money and he better be working.My other coworkers and I bet he will be gone tommorrow.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Bob met her in the parking  lot.  "I tried to call, but no answer." "My phone is missing. I thought it was in my purse but it wasn't. I emptied my purse and my desk but no phone. I checked around.  I don't know where it is." "Well, I found you." "You did, and I am glad." "You are?  I was afraid you were off on a date with one of a dozen of your boyfriends." "Bob, let me be perfectly clear.  There is no one else.  There never has been anyone else. There never will be anyone else. " "Sounds serious." "Dead serious.  Now stop worrying. Don't even tease me about it." "Did I tell you that the only girls I dated reminded me of you, and they both broke it off. They said the same thing: either marry you or get over you." "I think you said that.  I am not ready for that yet." "Neither am I." "I need to change before we go." He had the Wrangler.  It would have been rude to make him wait outside, so he sat in her main room while she went down the hall. He heard her lock the door, no surprise.  Absolutely clean. The laptop on the corner desk had its cover closed, and there was a thick Excel workbook beside it.  Printer.  Wall calendar with cats.  A sunflower wall decoration.  Love seat. Coffee table that was clear.  A Bible underneath it and some books from high school days: John Powell's Why Am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am topped one neat pile, and Success with Seasons: How To Look Your Best headed another, with geometric perfection. He could see into the kitchen.  There were a few clean dishes in the dish drainer but the sink was clean. Around the corner, behind the entrance door, was the laundry room and he could see the dress she wore last night hanging there. She had washed it after wearing it once? Wow.   Now she was out: figure-hugging jeans, knee-high boots, a pretty pink top, her hair pulled back with a band. She smiled at him, grabbed a cross-body bag and proclaimed herself ready. "I didn't leave my phone here, either. Let me try something." She went to the computer and logged in, entered a website, entered a number.  "This should GPS my phone but it is dead. Very strange. Like someone stole it." "Do you want to report it missing?" "No. I have a feeling it will turn up tomorrow  Probably in my desk, lower drawer, at the back, the batteries out. I have a co-worker who would think it is funny." "I'm not amused." "Likewise.  Oh. Church. Bible.  She grabbed a worn ESV from a shelf and flashed a smile at Bob that lit up his world from head to toe and said, "Ready." It was a fast food restaurant with a limited menu.  She had ordered quickly last night.  But now she stood and stared at the menu.  Several times she went up to the counter and asked questions, and finally was handed their Nutritional Fact Sheet. It was twenty minutes from the time they entered to when she ordered a side salad, a small cheeseburger (no pickle, no mustard, no ketchup, but BBQ sauce and no onion rings) and iced tea.  He paid for both meals. "Let's say grace." "Okay, now that we are going to be church people, we should."  He did, and they ate. "You are beautiful." "Focus, Bob, focus." He smiled.  "How was your day?" "I love the roses, but don't do it again, please.  The women in my office are terrible." "Okay. Saves me some money." "That's what I love about you." They laughed.  They pulled into the parking lot of Community Church.  It was a friendly crowd dressed as they were and they fit right in. They buried themselves in the middle of a pew towards the back.  The Worship Team cranked up and they could feel the vibrations throughout their bodies.  They went through a number of high-paced songs.  "Uh-oh," Taylor whispered, and gestured.  The offering was being taken by the hostess who got fired the previous night. "Should we leave now?" "I should talk you into Thursday evenings.  We are talking about not backing down.  Not hiding." The ex-hostess prayed over the offering , eyes closed, and opened them.  Somehow she was looking right at Taylor. She stared for a moment, and then said "Brother Mike, time for the Word."   As he came on stage she whispered something to him.  He turned, scanned the crowd until he found Taylor, and stared at her for ten seconds or so. "You sure you don't want to leave?" "I want to crawl under my seat.  But I would not respect myself in the morning." Brother Mike began with a long prayer about sin in the camp.  Society was degenerating. Men were thinking they were women and women men. He had been meaning to address this issue since he had heard about sin coming even to their own city, and now was the Kairos, for the devil was among them tonight. "Now would be a good time to go." "Ssssh." "In the beginning God made them male and female. Amen?" He got a big amen.  Bob and Taylor amen-ed along with the rest of them.  Brother Mike was surprised.  He continued. This was off the cuff.  He went down the same list that Aggie liked to send her, which amused Taylor.  Taylor amen-ed all of them.  "Oooh, now, tonight there will be DELIVERANCE in the house of the Lord!" AMEN "Freedom from bondage in the Name of the LORD!" "Amen!" "You once were slaves, but Christ has set you free!" This continued for some twenty minutes.  Brother Mike wiped the sweat off his forehead with a towel someone gave him. "Any SINNERS tonight who need DELIVERANCE? Come on down!" Bob and Taylor watched as a few people made their way to the front.  Brother Mike looked directly at Bob and Taylor. "There are more tonight for the  harvest of the LORD!" He looked at them again.  People in this section!" That was the front right.  And here!" That was the section they were in.  About twenty people around them responded and went up front. "We have a mighty harvest here tonight! Altar workers, come Fooorwaaard and minister to God's children."  Several older people, clutching Bibles and wearing vests that said ALTAR WORKER on the back, came forward. "Pray for mercy! Oh, sinners do you feel the mercy of God in the House of the Lord tonight!" He looked at Bob and Taylor, now sitting in a large area of otherwise empty seats.  Ahead of them and behind them and on the other side of the main aisle there were a lot more people.  "There are more sinners here tonight. I can feel it. Isn't the grace of God tugging on your heart?" "I like the grace of God tugging on my heart part, but no way am I going down there." "Agreed." After a while no one else came forward.  Brother Mike took one more last look at them and signaled for the Worship Team to come up and do a closing number. "Ready to leave?" "No, I'm not." "What are you waiting for, Taylor?" "I'm not sure.  We might have an interesting conversation." "Here?" "Yes." "I want to hear your definition of an interesting conversation sometime." They sat and watched as those up front diminished in number.  Other people slipped out.  Brother Mike looked at them several times, but he was mainly praying for people. The last worship number ended.  People were still up front praying. "Well that was fun," Taylor said in the Wrangler. "Strike that one off the list of churches to go to."  Someone was running up to them. "Wait a minute!  Y'all are first time visitors?" "Yes, we are."   The guy smiled.  "Here is a complimentary coffee cup for each of you.  Sorry we missed you earlier.  God bless.."  With that he was gone. They looked at the cups. Community Church, Millvale.  Have a Blessed Day. "Something to remember it by." "I don't think I will forget. I wonder what second time visitors get?" "I am so not interested. "   The next day her phone was exactly where she thought it would be.  Something would have to be done, but she was not sure what.  In the meantime her phone and purse would be in the drawer, and the drawer would be locked whenever she was away from her desk.                  
    • KymmieL
      Oh, I can take you to some fun trails, mild to wild. Doing boulders the size of Volkswagen's.  Doing a trail were crossing a lake is part of it. ( my best witches cackle) It would be great for you to stop by for a visit. I'll get you stuck?   @Ashley0616 our Explorer is a 1994 Explorer XLT, 4 in lift, 33's basically build for the trail.   Just waiting on my brake hoses.   Kymmie      
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.