• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shoe Shopping

Guest DianeATL

Guest DianeATL

So proud of myself, I went shoe shopping and had no problem outing myself without shame or guilt. And it went GREAT!

I went clothing shopping with a friend this week and borrowed a pair of casual shoes from her for the trip. I got a lot of great every day outfits but did not find any shoes. She suggested that Payless was a spot she liked so I decided to give it a try.

I think like most girls, I started with 5 inch heels and am working my way down to flats ;-). So I didn't have appropriate shoes to wear with my new outfits to go buy appropriate shoes. I said what the heck and just went to Payless in boy mode. I went when the store first opened hoping it wouldn't be too crowded and I was right.

The three great things about Payless are 1) lots of big shoe sizes, up to 13. 2) All of one size are together so you can camp out in one spot and not have to walk all over the store 3) prices are very reasonable, especially on sale.

I couldn't find any hose footies so I estimated my size based on previous purchases and bought 4 pair. Of course when I got home, they were all too big so I turned around and went back to exchange them. This time I asked the sales girl for a footie and took my time trying on lots of pairs. I did not try to hide or be super discrete with one exception. When a family with several small kids came to my aisle, I just turned 180 degrees and I was facing men's shoes until they passed. I did not want to put the parents into an awkward situation of explaining me.

So I purchased 5 pair and took back 4. When the sales girl set up on their frequent purchase program I proudly gave her my email which includes Diane and TG in it. She was very nice and hoped that these would work for me. She treated me just like any other customer and did not have any weird looks or anything even though I was in my mansuit buying womens' shoes.

I know we all fear doing this kind of stuff at first, the more I do, the more I wonder why I ever held back! Get out there girls!

This afternoon and evening I will be out and about in some of my new outfits and shoes, I can't wait.

Guest DianeATL

Kaylee - you are so right! I have always had a shoe fetish. Yesterday while jogging I passed a girl on the street and I just had to stop and tell her how hot her shoes were. ;-)

One of the interesting revelations in this journey is shopping. If you asked anyone who knows me they would say I hate to shop for clothes. My wife won't even do it anymore because I hate everything and won't try on anything, I buzz by the racks and say nothing there.

What I have discovered is that is how I was with man clothes. My inner girl was throwing up at the thought of having to buy those boring blah rags. I love shopping for girl clothes whether in person or on line. There is so much variety in cut and color I find myself totally absorbed in it. I am constantly commenting "oh that's cute" as I check out the dresses, tops and skirts and of course SHOES.

I just needed to be shopping for ME to make it fun. :thumbsup:

The fever has set.

Every one run for the hills!

Your story ring so true.

Hated buying him clothes.

Now! Can't stop, with the similar thoughts.

"I wonder if I could get away with wearing that?"

Happy you had a wonderful and successful shopping spree, Diane. :welldone::friends:

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Diane

Payless is my favorite shoe store. As you mentioned they carry large sizes. I have a Size 12 Woman.

The prices are very reasonable and often have Buy 1 get 1 50% off.

I have a large collection of women's shoes from their.

All the salespeople know I am transgender and never had a problem. They want commission. :)

Kaylee, I have to agree. I must have at least 36 different styles from Payless. Not purchased all at once, but when on sale. :)

In NYC, 2 clothing stores I frequent that have very reasonable prices is Target and Burlington Coat Factory.

In Target, I know most of the sales people by their first name.

When I first started to Come-Out and did not pass well, I was treated so well that I sent a letter to the CEO of Target commending how well the store staff treated me.

I have never had any problem shopping at these stores either.

I use the female dressing rooms also rather than take home and then have to make a 2nd trip to return items that don't fit properly.

Vicky & Joann-You are right, the fever set in. :)

Also hated shopping as a male.

Hugs, :wub:

Carla

Guest Rosabella

It's so nice to read that others also go to Payless to purchase a lot of their shoes. I just recently bought three pair of shoes at Payless - Karmen Comfort Plus Predictions pumps, in Patent Navy, Patent Red (I've waited and waited for these!), and Patent Nude crocodile ones. I made use of two 25% off coupons. I went (in male mode) to exchange one a couple of days and some nervousness set it when I walked in and realized there was a man at the counter. This was my first experience of many at Payless when there was a male at the counter. It turns out that he was a manager of this and several other ones and was filling in. He was great and did the exchange as if I were exchanging males shoes. I always have a good experience in the many Payless stores I've visited. You know... not every one has the shoe and size you want, so you have to travel to the Payless to get the one that the online site says has it in stock.

Thank you, Diane, for starting this topic and sharing your story.

Guest Kaylee234

Count my vote for Payless too. I stop by every one I get within range of. I've probably bought 40-50% of my shoes there. No, I have no idea how many shoes I own lol :D

~ Kay

• Admin

I have no idea how many shoes I own lol :D

~ Kay

As long as the number is divisible by 2 with no remainder, you're fine!! :harhar:

Payless is one of my candy stores too!!.

Guest Guest_

Hi Diane: Payless shoes is one of my favorite stores also. Like you I love shopping for my feminine side. I even shop with my S.O. even though she does not know Amber I am always checking the sales rack when she is in trying things on. Shopping is one of the best times a girl can have. Hugs Amber L.

• Forum Moderator

I'm always on the hunt for shoes and stop at every payless i can. As far as drab male clothes i was happy with any t and jeans. A sports jacket for formal wear and i actually owned ties and the such. One of the best days of my life was when i discovered that i didn't need any of that any more! I did keep a couple of clean t's to work in. What a day for the local clothes drive. And for me a chance to fill a closet with things that had been squirreled away for years. Unfortunately so many of them were not so great so i had to do some shopping. Poor me.

Hugs,

Charlie