• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

ABC News Editor Returns To Being Male

Carolyn Marie

Well...ain't that somethin...

It is far from the first flip-flop tho perhaps a whole lot more public than most.

And folks wonder why us folks who been around a long time aren't cheerleaders...in part cause there is no telling where this stuff could lead, what trouble could occur, and things like this.

I have to say the rationale is quite unusual and I wonder if the "amnesia" story is cover to excuse the flip flop. Maybe it is time to give words of caution that it will just come back?

Maybe this is a good time to point out why one year RLT is important? Though really a year is so minimal when it comes to folks flipping back. Oh and yea, they are almost always totally sure it is right when starting.

Somehow I don't think this is the last we going to hear of this.

Unfortunate thing is that it will cause lots of questions and bad potential for those needing to deal with their issues cause it will be harder for them to be taken seriously. But hey, it is more awareness right so must be good!

The way trans has become more fashionable and lots of folks who would have never been considered good transition candidates in the past who are going into transition now, I certainly can see more of these sorts of things in the future.

Guest LauraJen
Unfortunate thing is that it will cause lots of questions and bad potential for those needing to deal with their issues cause it will be harder for them to be taken seriously. But hey, it is more awareness right so must be good!

The way trans has become more fashionable and lots of folks who would have never been considered good transition candidates in the past who are going into transition now, I certainly can see more of these sorts of things in the future.

Unfortunately yes... all this is going to do is reinforce misconceptions and strengthen the opinions of the many unsupportive parents out there on their trans kids' feelings (just a phase, making a mistake, etc). It will serve as an example of how things go wrong when in actual fact detransitioners are in a very small minority. Of course, sceptics won't listen to that...

Not all publicity is good publicity - whoever said otherwise is wrong. This really doesn't help at all.

Guest otter-girl

Most of us know what the mans club is like and what membership of it is like. To get back in means saying, "honest guys, Im not a woman". Alien abduction doesnt wash so I need some other quasi plausible reason to save face.

If I was wearing my usual caring empathic hat Id be more sympathetic because I bet he has gone through hell and might again one day. But today Im stressed out with life.

Never mind

Rachel

• Admin

This reads like a tabloid and not a bona fide news story. I do not really recognize the pulication, and some of its "other news" is the sensation type of thing. Noting a comptroller candidate as an "ex madam" is not your family news paper. There is no corroboration in the story from the person's colleagues either. "An ancient and fish like smell" to me.

• Forum Moderator

I agree Vicky, this story as reported is dubious a "three-month odyssey" as it's called, maybe more like a 3 month oddity, and no it really does not help any of us here (true or not), given whatever exposure it might create in the general population, I was looking for the comments below, but there were none, hmmmm, notice the "exclusive" banner that highlights this article :rolleyes:

Guest Alexis25

I don't even have a comment to this story

Misdiagnosed?

Hormone imbalance, to justify his change?

AND WHAT amnesia as another excuse to why he was a women, well that's strange

And what did they call him a M t F t M

At least he still supports LGBT groups >.>

• Admin

I don't doubt that he changed his mind. It happens from time to time. What's in question is the why. The story he concocted sounds ridiculous. I read it three times and it still makes no sense. No one noticed that he had amnesia the last 14 years? I know bull doo doo when I hear it. Those of you who said this is going to be adverse to our community are spot on.

Carolyn Marie

The NY Post is one of the big three papers in NYC. Not sure if it is second or third. The post is known for using more sensational headlines/front page.

No one noticed that he had amnesia the last 14 years? I know bull doo doo when I hear it.

As written I read that as a two day bout of amnesia which, when he started he thought it was 1999. Thus it suggested he had forgotten the prior 14 years, not had amnesia for all the time.

So the amnesia comes on, he thinks it is 1999 and he is a guy again. Then two days later, his memories come back, remembers becoming a girl but what didn't come back was his identity as Dawn"

Nothing was said as to what triggered the amnesia. Now assuming it isn't all made up to cover a change in heart, perhaps, despite everything reported about accepted, he was still stressed living in a new role, perhaps in a way he wasn't willing to admit, and the stress triggered a dissociative amnesia episode knocking him out of the situation and enabled finding more comforting footing.

I've certainly seen folks push themselves into transition, get more stressed, and convince themselves the only solution is to push thru when the problem was that they pushed themselves too far in the first place and it was only when they backed up and found the right balance things got better.

Lots of speculation can be made in this case, certainly one of the oddest I have heard of.

Guest HughE

I read a story a while ago about Don Ennis transitioning to become Dawn Ennis. The story mentioned he'd been given female hormone treatment as a child and at his age, it's very likely to have been DES. DES and transsexuality is a bit of a hot topic for me, so I tracked down Don's facebook page and tried messaging him (her at the time!).

I was hoping to spark some interest in ABC doing a news story about whether giving mothers medical treatment with artificial sex hormones during pregnancy could cause their children to experience problems with gender identity later in life. Unfortunately I never got a reply, but I've just checked his facebook page and he's calling himself Don now, so I guess the NY post story is for real.

Looking at his FB page it seems like he's a genuine person, so I don't think what he's doing is intended as an attack on transgendered people. Perhaps he's like me and has part of who he is that wants to be a man and another part that wants to be a woman?

• Admin

The NY Post is one of the top 10 circulated papers in the country. It's now being picked up globally based on this story.

I am considerably southwest and am highly provincial with my news interests. I can get enough drama out here. It still reads like a scandal rag to me, whatever it may be to others. Its not the first time I have missed the elephant in the room. I was aiming at the buffalo.

Guest KimberlyF

Either the timeline to this story isn't meshing up, or Don put zero thought into this decision.

A week and a half ago, 'she' is posting about high heels. Last Wed there is a post that doesn't sound too butch to me about a teddy bear. Maybe not the best post two days before telling people you were really a guy the whole time.

Or did the two day bout of amnesia start right after this bear post? (Wed 7:30 PM) then Friday posts the memo?

Even if the Teddy Bear post is 'Don', the heels one has to be 'Dawn' and after amnesia there still would be at most a full week left before making a major decision and announcement.

Guest Melissa~

Doctor confidentiality is fine and dandy, but this stuff can result in harm, is that crossing the line into harming self or others?

Frankly I have significant family and friends in the publishing business. What I can tell you the whole business is having trouble modernizing, people's jobs are on the line. Was this a shameless ploy to preserve a "boring straight guys" job that was about to evaporate?

A lot could be going on here, that's all.

Guest Sarah Faith

Oooookay.. Well, sound to me like Don/Dawn had a moment of regret and is pulling the old "Im cured!" routine.. The story of having a moment of amnesia and then suddenly being cured sounds like an awfully fishy one to me.. But to each their own I suppose.

Sarah

Guest NatashaJade

I've known Don for a couple of years over FB and correspondence (my spouse counseled his spouse as well) and all I'll say is that for him, the thought of his family breaking apart was horrifying beyond measure and I have to think that played a major role in his decision.

I think the worst part of this story is how very public it all is and I have to think there is going to be a lot of backlash from all sides. I really do wish the best for him and his family and hope they can weather yet another storm.

Guest kyliej

While I agree the excuse, assuming it is an excuse, isn't great, but I like Natasha's call for empathy and compassion. This isn't an easy journey for any of us, and we can't possibly know exactly what he has going on the rest of his life. Getting to the point of starting transition like he did takes a huge effort, and taking it back is almost as big if not harder to endure. I know how important transition is to me and to others, so to feel like one has to call it off is a pretty big deal, and I imagine he must feel terrible no matter what the cause is. I hope he and his family find peace, freedom and joy.

Guest Bellexia

Agreed with Kyliej. Put yourself in her shoes for a minute, realize that you don't have any where near the spotlight on you or your family. It's much easier when it's not publicized.

Guest Bellexia

Also I think it's a little messed up that our community, in general views some trans people as either detriments or assets to be had. Take the Kristen Beck for example, she was hailed as the transgoddess of 2013, yet in this article people are so quick to say this person is a detriment to our community as a whole. How many of you purged and burned before finally accepted yourselves? Add the public light to that and it becomes a spectacle, anything you do becomes publicized. The mere act of trying to forget you were something because this huge mess. It is blatantly unfair.

Guest NatashaJade

Don's story makes me think of Mike Penner (a very public media figure who committed suicide after detransitioning). Detransitioning in the public eye is almost worse than the initial transition.

Remember, the article is from the New York Post. You don't know the real story.

Guest Amanda Whyte

My heart goes out to him actually. Being at a spot in my transition and relationship that I am struggling with more than I have at any other, I can picture someone trying their hardest to figure out a way out. It is unfortunate that it is such a public story but he is still a human going through this.

I dont mean to say this is what he did, I could just understand it if he did. If I knew for sure I could live that way, I would in a heartbeat for my children but I really know in my heart that I would be no good to anybody if I did so I am going to continue with my transition and try my hardest to keep my children in my life.